Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be a little early to ask, but I sat on an RGU16 and loved it. Not sure I can bring myself to trade because absolutely happy w my current ride. But I like most all of the Rushmore changes and the water cooled heads are very enticing.

Mostly ride w wife & wind management is big issue. Have loved the Madstad. Any of you guys who have already jumped on a new RGU have an opinion on how it compares wind-wise to the madstad?

Thanks in advance.

Ron

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
No experience with Madstad, but the 15 fairing is much improved. Actually, the whole machine is much better than my 09.

·
Registered
498 Posts
My buddy just bought a '15 RGS. When he gets back from vacation I'll have a chance to do a back to back comparison with my 2012 Ultra and madstad. It'll be interesting.

·
Registered
654 Posts
There are a few members here who have mentioned that bugs come through the vents on the new fairings. This is remedied with stainless or black mesh. I had an opportunity to test ride the new Rushmore RG. The motor and frame and handling are fantastic. Otherwise, the MS wind shield is still better than the new fairing IMHO.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought I'd answer my own question here in case it's helpful to someone shopping. I test rode a beautiful superior blue RGU this afternoon.

Like others have said here, it rode great. Seemed smaller & more nimble but solid. I'd do some tweaking like with every bike but not a lot.

As far as wind management - I'm 5'11" (& shrinking) w 32" inseams. My 14.5" madstad is great for my wife and I. The stock windshield did nit provide as good of wind management. If I ducked a bit it was good, but if I bought this bike I'd definitely put a taller shield - probably another madstad just because it's worked so well on our '13. With that said, it wasn't awful wind. Just more like riding on a motorcycle :smile: but manaeable. I can see it would likely interfere with the radio. (I never could figure out the radio volume until I got back to the dealer).

Great bike - but not sure it wowed me enough to spend a lot to upgrade. I'll eventually talk trade $$$ butbit will have to be a good deal. I'm just awfully happy w my current ride! :smile:

Ron

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hey Ron,

Pull the trigger, you won't regret doing it. My Madstad is on it's way north in readyness for SW VI.

·
Registered
927 Posts
11" Madstad on my 15 RG does not interfere with the radio. It actually helps improve the sound quality of the radio since it cuts down the wind noise.

The mods I've done.
Custom leather LePera Monterey seat
11" dark smoke quick detach Madstad
LED brake & turn signals
Garage door opener
Biketronics amp & speakers
Hidden antenna
License plate frame

All mods have been worth the money.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Ron,

Pull the trigger, you won't regret doing it. My Madstad is on it's way north in readyness for SW VI.
We're still thinking. We've got 40k on the current RGU, so pretty likely we'll upgrade this year. Waiting to see what the 17 colors look like. We rode yesterday up to the Pisgah Inn on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and Jane said she was all in just for the water cooled heads! I declare though - this is still a great riding motorcycle.

Glad you got your ride replaced. Hope you and Barb have a great summer!

Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts