Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 FLTRU with a 12". Between 55 and 70 mph, I hear an intermittent whistling noise, and I could swear its coming from the windshield.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Never had that issue . . . . but I'd change the angle a little and see what happens.

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
341 Posts
I can hear a bit of a whistle since I installed mine. I always figured it was the adjustment slots. Some tape would confirm that theory.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can hear a bit of a whistle since I installed mine. I always figured it was the adjustment slots. Some tape would confirm that theory.
I thought about the adjustment slots too, good idea to use tape. Will try that, thanks!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Never had that issue . . . . but I'd change the angle a little and see what happens.
I've got the 12" Madstad as well, but I've never heard the whistle...then again, my not hearing anything may just be the result of too many rock concerts through the decades. In any event, I do love my Madstad! Best windshield that I've ever had on a bike.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I have 13" and had a light whistle as well. I did not do anything and it went away. Or my hearing is going and don't hear it anymore!!

Good luck finding it and let us know what it is.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Might be your fairing. Many of the Rushmore fairings have a whistle. I remember reading it stemmed between the front of the fairing and the headlight housing. Don’t recall if it was between the top or bottom of the headlight. The “fix” was to stuff a thin piece of foam in there. You might not have heard it before the Madstad because of wind noise, where now you’re probably in an envelope and can hear better. Mine whistles, and I have a 12” LRS windshield. Doesn’t bother me though.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have heard the speakers pods will whistle if they’re not tight or aligned correctly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the 13 inch and have never had a whistle. i did notice one day when riding in a rain storm there were bubbles forming at the very front, lower on the inside of my windshield. Turns out the shield wasn't completely sealed to the rubber gasket. Tightened it and problem when away.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
This^^^

I had a small whistle with the MS on my 2012 and I just changed the angle slightly and it never did it again. Something to try anyway.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This^^^

I had a small whistle with the MS on my 2012 and I just changed the angle slightly and it never did it again. Something to try anyway.
Thanks, a good idea. Also, right now I've got it all the way up, it needs to come down a bit, so maybe that will help as well.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I have a whistle as well and tried different angles as well, thinking that could be it. Somebody said here that the edges of the shield could be too sharp, and could cause the whistle. So to see if that is the problem, you have to put tape on the edge or something sturdy and go for a ride. I have not done that yet.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Had another thought.

Put an older shield you have back on. If the whistle goes away, you know it's the Madstad. If not, it's something else.

Easy to do too.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had another thought.

Put an older shield you have back on. If the whistle goes away, you know it's the Madstad. If not, it's something else.

Easy to do too.
Well, I pretty much already did that. It only began whistling after I removed the LRS and put the Madstad on.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Good! So you narrowed down the noise to the Madstad. That is good at least. It's an avenue to go down to fix the noise.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Mine will do it if it is lowered and tilted at the most upright angle. If I angle it back just a little it goes away. 16 inch on a 2016 RGU.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
2018 FLTRU with a 12". Between 55 and 70 mph, I hear an intermittent whistling noise, and I could swear its coming from the windshield.

Anyone else?
Just saw an old thread where Shemp and some other folks found a whistle caused by the lower edge of the shield. He solved with an elongated roll of masking tape along the lower edge and suggested maybe a strip of door trim or anything that would fit on the lower edge to disrupt the air flow. Others thought carefully sanding the lower edge might help.

Might be something else to try

·
Registered
777 Posts
Just saw an old thread where Shemp and some other folks found a whistle caused by the lower edge of the shield. He solved with an elongated roll of masking tape along the lower edge and suggested maybe a strip of door trim or anything that would fit on the lower edge to disrupt the air flow. Others thought carefully sanding the lower edge might help.

Might be something else to try
Yep. Bit of door trim on the bottom of the shield made it go away on my '11 with a 12" Madstad. took the windshield off and reground the bottom a bit more round. That took care of it

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I lowered the shield a good bit and got out for a ride the other day. Not highway speeds so I dont know yet if I have a fix, but I will say that after I lowered it, it feels *better* from a wind management perspective (cigars!). Also a bit better visibility as well.

Will try to get it out this evening for a short highway ride.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts