Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been some questions asked lately and I'm bored because it's raining again, so I did some measuring for those thinking about the Madstad. I won't get into the looks discussion, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My shield is the 13" tinted. Measures 13.5 inches in the center. Slid all the way down and rotated all the way forward, the top is 7 inches above the radio shroud.

Down and all the way back it drops to 6.5 inches above the radio.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All the way up and forward, it's 10 inches above the radio shroud.
All the way back and all the way up, it's 9 inches above the shroud.
So if you use an 11" shield, the measurements should be 2 inches shorter. A 15 should be 2 inches taller. Wide range in between. The 15 I have is a bit wider at the top than the 13 and I would assume the 11 is a bit narrower.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
I have the Madstad 11” in Dark Gray and love it.
It’s been on My ‘12 Custom for many years and miles and I couldn’t be happier with it.
The Madstad fits The Shark and does what it claims to do.
But that’s just my .02 cents on them.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I need to check mine, but yours sure looks like it raises a lot higher than my Madstad. I find the 13" a bit short because I can't get it up as high as needed to stop buffeting.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I need to check mine, but yours sure looks like it raises a lot higher than my Madstad. I find the 13" a bit short because I can't get it up as high as needed to stop buffeting.
Dont forget to play with the angle also to stop buffeting. For me the best angle seems to be the same angle as the base plate. I remember several years ago a thread on here where everyone posted their “best” angle. There was a good bit of variety.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I just went and measured my 13" Madstad (I just bought it this winter), with it all the way up and tilted forward, it is only 7.5" above the radio bezel. Now with my Legends in the front, that dropped the front 3/4" and the buffeting is all the time. Is there other hardware available?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Not that I’ve heard of. Maybe grill new holes in the shield an inch or so lower to raise the shield???

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Before drilling holes, I would play around with the angle.
This info is directly from Madstad's website.
Hope it helps.
Mike U.
Our windshields work best at approximately a 60 degree angle relative to the ground, give or take a few degrees. On the back cover of the user manual you will find an angle guide to help you align your shield, and smartphone angle finder (inclinometer) apps are available for download. Your personal best comfort level will likely be between 55 and 63 degrees, you will have to experiment a bit to find out what works best for you.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Before drilling holes, I would play around with the angle.
This info is directly from Madstad's website.
Hope it helps.
Mike U.
Our windshields work best at approximately a 60 degree angle relative to the ground, give or take a few degrees. On the back cover of the user manual you will find an angle guide to help you align your shield, and smartphone angle finder (inclinometer) apps are available for download. Your personal best comfort level will likely be between 55 and 63 degrees, you will have to experiment a bit to find out what works best for you.
Oh, I have messed with the angles, more so lately due to warmer weather. With it being as short as it is, the current angle gives the best wind protection that I have found. I am going to call Madstad today, see what they have to say about it. If it turns out to be "that's just the way it is for you", I may get creative with the welder at the end of the season and make myself some longer mounting brackets.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Oh, I have messed with the angles, more so lately due to warmer weather. With it being as short as it is, the current angle gives the best wind protection that I have found. I am going to call Madstad today, see what they have to say about it. If it turns out to be "that's just the way it is for you", I may get creative with the welder at the end of the season and make myself some longer mounting brackets.
Best of Luck Ian!
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Alrighty then - I just got off the phone with Madstad and the fellow I spoke with, Blair, was exceptionally helpful and polite. I explained to him how I am not really getting the height up on the shield as expected and also contrary to others on this site. Blair informed me that a few years ago, they changed their mounting plates to offer almost 2" less of upwards travel, which I could confirm because I had mentioned how I bought a complete used Madstad off eBay earlier this year and that mounting bracket has over 6.5" of travel and my newer one only had 5". I wasn't sure if they sent the wrong mounting hardware or not, but apparently they have changed their design.

Although several months later and well used, Blair offered an exchange shield for me, but I really don;t think it is worth it due to the high cost of shipping International. He wants me to send him the pics I have, but in the mean time I am going to use the old hardware on my 13" shield as I think that extra few inches will finally help reduce the buffeting I am getting.

So, it may be that moving forth, it could be better to consider one size up as you will have over 1.5" less of full upwards travel.

Pics:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Good to know and thanks. Its great they they helped you, even when you told them you bought it used on Ebay Lots of places would tell you your SOL!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Good to know and thanks. Its great they they helped you, even when you told them you bought it used on Ebay Lots of places would tell you your SOL!
No, I bought a new Madstad in November directly from them, and then a complete used one off eBay a few months ago. Blair from Madstad already emailed me back, they are willing to give me a deal on a larger shield, which I may take them up on just to have as an option for long trips. Even their online instructions have the old design brackets shown.

Anyways, I flipped over the old design mounting brackets onto my bike, going to take it for a test ride here in a bit after I get my ribs slow cooking.

The old design brackets offer an additional 1.5" of lift.

Original new design bracket on the right, older design bracket on the left:

New max height up with 13" shield

Old hardware, shield all the way up and tilted forward. I ended up dropping it down 3/4"

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Okay. My bad. Either way good to see you have options.

That is what is so nice with these shields. Even if it is too tall for you, you can lower it a bit. Its not dependent on your height.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Is there any market for the pre-rushmore windshields ? I have the base and the shield no robo brackets I have in a box and ready to ship out at buyers expense.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Okay. My bad. Either way good to see you have options.

That is what is so nice with these shields. Even if it is too tall for you, you can lower it a bit. Its not dependent on your height.
I think that based on the original post and how the Madstad used to make their shields for the Pre Rushmores, the same height lowering isn't an issue, as in my case, I couldn't get it high enough based on previous owners reviews like those posted here; due to the older hardware (not what you can now buy) being inaccurate with their web description and installation pictures. With on the new hardware, I would buy a 14.5" shield versus the 13" shield to get the proper height needed for someone between 5'9"- 5'11". I should mention I have a low profile seat that sits me back 1" and down 1" - and the 13" shield was still too low.

Anyways, I went for a 75 mile ride and tried the shield in various positions and having it adjusted up about 3/4" on the old hardware (what you cannot buy now) on my 13" shield actually worked well for preventing buffeting of the wind and not bouncing my head around like it was prior. I don't agree with them making the new hardware 2" shorter than previously manufactured; especially as these are older bikes and people rely on previous owners' experience prior to paying $300 for a shield. Nothing more to say on the matter, it is what it is now, and hopefully future owners wanting a Pre Rushmore Madtstad shield are aware of the discrepancies they may face between forum reviews and current reality.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Nice write up and.........GORGEOUS COLOR on your scoot. Would love to see that baby in the bright sunshine in person! Ride on bro!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts