Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are considering a Madstad Windshield then read on and Thank Me later. Madstad windshields are very highly rated performance wise but pretty pricey with all the options available for Harley’s.
Here is a copy of a letter I sent to Madstad Customer Service:

To whom it may concern at Madstad,

For the last 12 years I’ve owned 3 different Gold Wings and was about to purchase your Windshield for my Gold Wing at your price of $279. In September after renting a 2016 RGU and then a test ride on a 2019 RGU I traded my Gold Wing in for a 2019 H-D Road Glide Ultra. I’ve since learned that you also sell a Windshield for this new Harley Road Glide Ultra and I’m interested in one. My question for you is Why is there an $80 price difference for the Harley Windshield over the Gold Wing Windshield? I don’t really see to much difference in material used, design or mounting hardware to justify this big difference in pricing. Wondering if it’s Brand oriented and charging more because it’s for Harley owners and their big wallets? I would think you would probably sell more to Road Glide Riders if the price point was more competitive with the large number of options available for Harley’s. I’m also now undecided as to whether or not I want to spend $350 for your windshield with all the other options out there. I have talked in forums and in person to other Harley Road Glide riders about your windshield and many are Interested in it but are turned off by the Higher cost of this unit. I always have nicely equipped motorcycles and attend MC events on a regular basis. I’m always happy to speak highly of the products I use and like. I give good references on the things I like and think work best based on my own experiences.
Anyhow, I’ve done my research and think you have a product worth having but it seems pretty high priced compared to a comparable model and style of bike in the Gold Wing. Would you be willing to adjust your price point for this particular windshield? Are you willing to offer a better deal to someone that who would probably love your product and be willing to promote it enthusiastically anytime someone asked me about it?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I’m welcome to your response whatever you decide.
Happy Holidays and Joy to the World

They responded back favorably and sold me the unit for the Gold Wing price point at $279 Light Gray, 12”. (Regular price was $349 for the Road Glide) They also had a Winter10 code (expired 30 Nov 19) to use for and additional 10% more off. After the shipping charges my end cost was $282 delivered. They also informed me they had been reviewing production costs and material used per Makes and models and had been adjusting prices but had not gotten to the Harley-Davidson models yet. I know the Gold Wing shield had been reduced in price since this summer when I was looking at them.

If you’ve been on the fence about this Windshield and the cost then reach out to them or stay tuned to their website for pricing adjustments. I’m very happy with the response I recieved and I’m looking forward to running this windshield.

Hope this is beneficial to my fellow bothers in the Shark Tank.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

JT
2019 Road Glide Ultra
Twisted Cherry
Custom Dynamics Front Turn Signal Lights
Pro Beam Run, Brake and Turn (Back)
Pro Beam Fillerz
Hammock seat and Back Rest
Memphis Shade Ghost Hand Gaurds
Kuryakyn Wind Deflectors on Fairing (lower side)
Kahuna H-D heated Grips
Ram X mount Phone holder
Madstad 12” Light Gray windscreen (coming soon)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've looked at these many times, but I just can't get past the $300 + cost. I can get 5 various size LRS shields for the price of the Madstad and it only takes a minute to swap out top the size I need. IMO the Madstad should be priced in the sub $200 range.

Reactions: jtspinner

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried a LRS 11” smoked shield and liked it’s look but when it got cold here in Iowa and with all the rain we’ve had this fall I ended up putting my stock shield back on bc it afforded me more protection. I agree with you on the cost of the Madstad and was why I reached out to them. I’m pretty sure I would rather had the Madstad instead of a bunch of Windshields to swap out for whatever reason. I do lots of long distance biking and sometimes the weather changes while I’m out and about and now I will have the ability to adjust as needed per the weather conditions. I still thought $282 delivered was high but I also think I’ll be happy having a quality performing windshield that can be adjusted as needed while away from home and a stock of various sized Windshields.
Side note: Madstad sells various size replacement windshields and Tints (Front Adjustable Part) for a lot less money then the total unit and hardware price.

JT

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pricing update on Madstad Windshield system.
Madstad has lowered the price of their Windshields for the 14- up Road Glides.
$279.00 Clear 12”. $289.00 Tinted 12” previous price was $349.00

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm looking to get another MadStad for my 19 FLTRXS but hesitant for one reason. I had one on my 12 FLTRX and the damn thing had a high pitch whistle that drove me nuts. I know it was probably coming through the hardware that holds the shield to the base shield and for the life of me could not get rid of that whistle. Over time it drove me crazy. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't see any difference with this shield vs pre rushmore.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Have seen one or two similar posts before. I’ve had two bikes w two different madstads over the past 7 years and never had any noise issue. Both have been great. Was the first thing I put on my current bike when I bought it.

Reactions: Jacksprat56

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have seen one or two similar posts before. I’ve had two bikes w two different madstads over the past 7 years and never had any noise issue. Both have been great. Was the first thing I put on my current bike when I bought it.
I had a Madstad on '12 RGU and did not have the noise issue. I am now trying to decide on either a Madstad or Freedom Shield for my '16 RGU. Has anybody tried both on a Rushmore?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Decided to go with the Freedom 11 inch touring. Don't want to deal with the whistle ghost again since with my luck, it will be a problem. It's winter up here in Maine so will be a couple months before I can ride but I can tell this shield will work fine. Installed it and looks great. I have lowers which pretty much eliminate any buffetting despite any shield I utilize. Took me a couple years to realize that most of the buffeting comes from below....not above. Since installing lowers, any shields I have used have been free of of this problem. Unless you get a shield that is way to low. Then of course you will get air from above.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'm looking to get another MadStad for my 19 FLTRXS but hesitant for one reason. I had one on my 12 FLTRX and the damn thing had a high pitch whistle that drove me nuts. I know it was probably coming through the hardware that holds the shield to the base shield and for the life of me could not get rid of that whistle. Over time it drove me crazy. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't see any difference with this shield vs pre rushmore.
My has a slight one as well. I think it's the edge of the shield itself. The edge is too sharp of corner, so the air hits it and causes a noise. Was going to send down the edge or put a peice of tape on it to try to see if it is the culprit, but so far haven't had the time....

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
My has a slight one as well. I think it's the edge of the shield itself. The edge is too sharp of corner, so the air hits it and causes a noise. Was going to send down the edge or put a peice of tape on it to try to see if it is the culprit, but so far haven't had the time....

Get some door edge guard at an auto parts store. I just got it along the bottom of the shield. Looks good too.

Reactions: Jacksprat56

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
Can I see a pic of what you did?

It definitely helped stop the whistle. The angle of the shield. Also causes the whistle.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Thanks. So you put it all around the edge to cover the entire circumference?

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
Thanks. So you put it all around the edge to cover the entire circumference?

Just the bottom edge.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Just the bottom edge.
Ahh... hard to see on my phone. I just opened it on the computer (work,...) and saw that; That does not look half bad.

I did try to adjust the angle to help stop the wind too. It go better but then I had tons of wind....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts