Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaving for North Carolina for the Labor Day weekend. A Ducati riding friend who lives in SC sent me a long list of routes and roads in the N Ga., SC, Tenn and western NC areas.

Last evening while plotting a ride from his suggestions onto my Garmin software I noticed that I would be riding through Maggie Valley on HWY 19. Are there side roads I ought to know about or is 19 the party?

I was up that way in June of 2007 and really loved the area. A real motorcycle playground. Looking forward to this trip in a big way.

And no, I'm NOT bringing the same shit magnet chick with me that jinxed my Yosemite trip in late May. If, on this trip, if I ride through wildfires, sand storms, 70 mph side winds, get sick, have numerous technology and minor mechanical issues or break my new replacement tour pak I'll know she wasn't the problem on that trip.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
And no, I'm NOT bringing the same shit magnet chick with me that jinxed my Yosemite trip in late May. If, on this trip, if I ride through wildfires, sand storms, 70 mph side winds, get sick, have numerous technology and minor mechanical issues or break my new replacement tour pak I'll know she wasn't the problem on that trip.
....and if you do?? L:DL

No 19 isn't the only party in the area. One road is better then the next. The deals gap area is great the Cherahola, Moonshiner 28, and the overhyped but must do once Dragon. Great riding around Bryson City and on and on. You can hardly go in a bad direction. Check out this guys maps, they are reasonably priced, ship fast and he updates them all the time. They even show fuel stops.

http://americaridesmaps.com/

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I'll be up there weekend of the 25th, staying at dragon pitt inn

maggie valley has the wheels in time museum

I think we are going to be doing the waterfall hunt, and photo op.

some impromptu jamming with the owner of the dragon pitt inn, and steaks and BBQ, later in the day of 25th.

probably make a return trip in the fall for the big bike festival

quicksand and rode that last year, jim is a pretty good rider in the twisties, faster than me.

·
Registered
421 Posts
When you go through Bryson City, I highly recommend a stop at the Nantahala Brewery. His IPA is the best I've had. I don't know where you are planning to stay, but the Ironhorse Motorcycle campgrounds is definitely worth a look.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ironhorse is where I'm staying! Got a reservation for a tent site. Really like that place, stayed there on my 2007 trip and can't imagine staying anywhere else.

Doubt if I'll do the brewery, been sober for 13 years and aim to stay that way. LOL Thanks for the suggestion, though. Steaks, however, are another matter. Is Dragon Pitt in Maggie Valley? Do they have a good slab of beef? Being from Longhorn country, I'm kind of partial to a medium cooked t-bone and would enjoy one while up there!

As for all of the bad luck I had on the Yosemite trip, if Rita wasn't the problem then I'll just have to figure something else to blame it on. I'm going with another woman on this'un, coincidentally she's also named Rita. I guess if it happens again I'll write off every Rita in the world! LMAO

·
Registered
12 Posts
+1 on the Wheels thru Time. It is a must see. Get Dale to fire up a couple of the museum pieces.:)

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Not sure about steaks, I was going to bring some small filets, whatever I can pack, about a dozen, so enough for 2-3 hungry people, LOL.

Their name is Dragon Pitt Inn and BBQ - I remember going by there, I believe it was the weekend all the corvettes were there and thinking, I'd like to try that place, so I am. Not sure what they mainly serve, worth a call.

Iron Horse Campground is also on my short list, as they mention '1st class accommodations' on their site. They were booked fairly solid, except tent sites.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've only been down that way one time a few years back I don't remember a bad road in the entire area,..have a great trip, if only I had more vacation!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
19/23/74/64 is the road off 40. Also called the Smoky Mountain Expressway. Splits in Sylava where 64 goes over Franklin mountain and 23/74 goes through the Natahayla gorge. I love Cherokee and hwy 441 up and over the mountains and into pigeon forge. That and the dragon. Also, the ride up to lake junalaska is awesome. Lots of great rides. Nary a bad road to be had, except the ones that turn into gravel followed ny dirt and sticks.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Great area that I've been to a few times, and will be back in next month. Just south of the infamous dragon is Highway 28 which runs quite a ways south, and is called Hellbender North, and South, some people say that's a better road than the dragon. It's larger curves, so a much faster ride than the dragon.

We usually stay at A Holiday Motel in Maggie Valley when we're up there, great motel, not too expensive, but what makes it great is the couple that runs the place. Very friendly, and attentive. They also do nightly bon-fires for the guests to socialize and swap stories. We originally stayed there for the first time because they allow you to park your bike at your front door, under the awning, out of the parking lot and the weather. While I love to ride, it was nice to have the bike close to me, and not getting rained on when I wasn't riding it. They even provide water hose, soap, bucket, and towels if you feel the need to wash your bike while you're there.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some good stuff there, y'all. Thanks for the input. And for the sobriety well wishes. Life's a lot better for me this way. On the road, free and money in my pocket!

·
Registered
406 Posts
....and if you do?? L:DL

No 19 isn't the only party in the area. One road is better then the next. The deals gap area is great the Cherahola, Moonshiner 28, and the overhyped but must do once Dragon. Great riding around Bryson City and on and on. You can hardly go in a bad direction. Check out this guys maps, they are reasonably priced, ship fast and he updates them all the time. They even show fuel stops.

http://americaridesmaps.com/
+ 1 on America rids maps even can get them waterproof

1 - 15 of 15 Posts