Road Glide banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading around and find that alot of people say the magic box is crap, so, my question is...
To flash, or not to flash...any opinions or experiences on this, and does anyone have a ballpark of how much it costs to do a flash
I am looking at the SS PN4.520 amp and right now running Boom Audio Stage 1 speakers, speaker upgrade will be done next year, do I need a flash if I am using Boom speakers

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I have had two sled flashed and both sound fantastic...I have heard the magic boxes work.. but I have always flashed to get the flattest EQ curve possible to disable the DSP with the head unit. Just finished the install on my 15RGS... ( see sig ) I have to post a video soon....

My flashes were free...but they are normally around $40 or so..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just a heads up, if you have boom speakers in there I think it says on harleys website they should flash for free. My dealer did my flash for free even though I pulled all that boom stuff out. At the most they will probably charge 50 bucks. If you haven't taken yours in for the bag recall they'd prob flash for free then

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
will they know what to do, or is there specific settings I need to tell them I want done, I see some stuff about DSP, Amp 1 and Amp 2, they'll know what to do
Depends on what you are getting... for me... this setup is direct from Soundz Customz for my 15 RGS with 19.1 software...

I run Arc Audio XDI 600.4, Focal 165KRC's and Hybrid Audio 157-2's in the lids.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Very good info, thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now I am getting confused, I was at the dealer and they said I could the flash online at HD.com and set it up myself, but I could not find it anywhere,
and, I have read that the stock settings should be fine, so now I am confused allover again
using the Soundstream PN4.520 Amp, Boom Stage 1 spkrs and the Boom 6.5 HU, will I need a flash????

·
Registered
67 Posts
Now I am getting confused, I was at the dealer and they said I could the flash online at HD.com and set it up myself, but I could not find it anywhere,
and, I have read that the stock settings should be fine, so now I am confused allover again
using the Soundstream PN4.520 Amp, Boom Stage 1 spkrs and the Boom 6.5 HU, will I need a flash????
From what I've read on here, when adding an amp to get best performance you have to either (1) have the HU flashed by HD or (2) run a Magic Box setup. What I know from my own experience is that the sound was night and day different between that after I installed my amp and speakers before flash, and then after the flash. I used the flash settings set in the sticky in this topic from J&M (though I did not install J&M equipment). I printed it out and took it into the dealer.

The only "flash" of the HU available from HD.com are the updates to the software - nothing allowing you to change the HU settings.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, should the flash be done "before" or "after" the amp is installed, I have read where some people said HD couldn't do it after the amp was inmstalled because the flash couldnt see the amp
sorry for all the question, just want a solid plan before I do this

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I always flashed before the install.. otherwise you are amplifying an amplified signal... not good! The flash is done to flatten the EQ curve of the DSP within the headunit to give you optimal performance across the entire volume range.

The flash can't identify the amp anyway.... why?... you are NOT using HD amps and HD amp harness... if you get DTC codes for amp COMM LOSS... don't worry about it.... it's just not hooked up the way MOCO designed the system to work. my system uses the two front speaker outputs to run the amp.... so I get codes... and I don't care.. it doesn't matter.

Also... the AVC ( Automatic Volume Control ) should be turned OFF after you install your amp...

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
With the AVC. .. it amplifies the signal via the DSP... so you will be amplifying the input voltage to the amp... input to the amp needs to be constant to achieve the quality of sound. As the input voltage increases, the signal to the speakers gets overloaded and distorts.... I hope that makes sense.

There are no low level outputs from the 14/15 touring models...6.5gt and 4.3 have to use the high level outputs of speaker wires to wire to an aftermarket amp. Now with my system from Soundz... he supplies all plug and play wiring including custom connections to convert the stock high output speaker harnesses to RCA to connect to low input of the amp. These are not off the shelf items since there is a resistor inline as well.. he builds them for each of his systems

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With the AVC. .. it amplifies the signal via the DSP... so you will be amplifying the input voltage to the amp... input to the amp needs to be constant to achieve the quality of sound. As the input voltage increases, the signal to the speakers gets overloaded and distorts.... I hope that makes sense.

There are no low level outputs from the 14/15 touring models...6.5gt and 4.3 have to use the high level outputs of speaker wires to wire to an aftermarket amp. Now with my system from Soundz... he supplies all plug and play wiring including custom connections to convert the stock high output speaker harnesses to RCA to connect to low input of the amp. These are not off the shelf items since there is a resistor inline as well.. he builds them for each of his systems
Spazz, a couple questions, first, what settings did you use for the flash, and second, if you're tapping off the high output, isn't the signal still amplified by HU, even if have the resisters, it seems the resistors which just prevent high volume, but the signal is still run thru the HU amp

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
... and second, if you're tapping off the high output, isn't the signal still amplified by HU, even if have the resisters, it seems the resistors which just prevent high volume, but the signal is still run thru the HU amp
When you flash the HU to disable the DSP, you are taking the output signal way down to a state where it's usable (non-amplified) and has the flattest EQ curve possible ( virtually unchangeable with volume ). With the resistor inline, it reduces the signal even further to allow it to be used as a low level input with RCA's.

I cannot tell you EXACTLY what resister is used since it came this way and sealed from Soundz, but it's not just a direct hookup from wires to RCA's.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.