Road Glide banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 16 years and 70,000 km my 1999 Road Glide is exhibiting the classic MM failure symptoms. Hard starting, low idle only and poor mileage. I'm thinking a new Idle Speed Control Actuator is the remedy but am having no luck with sourcing one. I do realize that Zippers has a nice conversion but am looking for any other resolutions that may be out there. That being said does anyone have a link to Magnetti Marelli older parts or other suggestions?

·
Registered
809 Posts
After 16 years and 70,000 km my 1999 Road Glide is exhibiting the classic MM failure symptoms. Hard starting, low idle only and poor mileage. I'm thinking a new Idle Speed Control Actuator is the remedy but am having no luck with sourcing one. I do realize that Zippers has a nice conversion but am looking for any other resolutions that may be out there. That being said does anyone have a link to Magnetti Marelli older parts or other suggestions?
The part is out there, a friend bought one last summer through the HD dealer. Take some throttle body cleaner and clean the plunger inside the intake, this might get you by until you can locate one.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Sorry I can not help with your question, but welcome to the forum.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
2,339 Posts
Before you panic, check the simple stuff first. Fuel filter, manifold seals, etc. Have a friend with a 98 Road Glide. His was doing pretty much what yours is, and it turned out to be the manifold seals. Spray some brake cleaner on the seals with the engine at idle, making sure to not get any close to the intake. If the engine suddenly dies, it could just be dried out seals.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
First thing to do on those whenever a problem pops up is to pull the ECM fuse or disconnect the battery for 30 minutes or so, reconnect, see if that helps.

Have you ever changed the fuel lines in the tank?? Those are know to get holes rubbed in them.

Also, does the '99 still have the cable operated speedo?? If not, the speed sensor in the trans can cause idle problems, but will also show up on the speedo as well.

Yes, intake leaks, those will usually cause it to sneeze when you first roll into the throttle also.

There's usually a bunch of M-M parts on Ebay.

As someone else mentioned a swap to carb works REALLY well. My '01 Ultra ran fine with the M-M injection, but ran great after I swapped to carb. If you're interested, shoot me a PM, I have a complete parts list.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great responses, thanks everyone. I had checked all the easy stuff first, fuses, battery, intake leaks, fuel lines were inspected last winter, cable driven speedo. My only observation that is amiss is there is no response at the ISC Actuator when keyed on/off. My local dealership can get one in for me and if anyone's interested the P/N is 27272-95A. I may yet be considering a carb conversion, they worked great on all my other Harley's. Anyhow, for a 140 bucks I'll see how replacing the actuator works and go from there.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Knock on wood, My bike runs great. What does the carb conversion entail? New ECM?
On the M-M bikes, the ECM gets replaced with an ignition box swap the intake, and swap the EFI "overlay" wiring harness section for the carb version.(I think NAMZ has these now, or MAY still be available from Harley). It's all plug and play, about a 4hr job. Major cost items when I did mine were the wiring harness($175??) and ignition box($300??). Swapping the EFI wire harness for the carb harness takes you from something like 20 connectors down to less than 10.

Anyone who's interested can PM me I have a document with all the parts and discussion of how to do it all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today my new ISC Actuator arrived, installed, bike fired right up and went into cold mode warm up and all seems happy. Torrential downpour and cold weather here in Alberta today so road test tomorrow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.