Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a RG conversion on an 02 RK

It looks like there are 4 different main brackets and most of my reserch indicates its an angle thing, be it attitude or clearance for lowers.

Looking at the external fairing support brackets it appears something major changed between 03 & 04.

Can anyone tell me which combination of brackets I need? I was planning on running the 2010+ main bracket, Assuming it fits. Should I just bite the bullet on the internal style?

·
Registered
483 Posts
If your getting all the parts for a conversion I would look for all the 10 and later parts since that will allow you to install the vented lowers later if you decide to and the vented lowers are easier to find since more are available . Watch Ebay and you should be able to get all the parts you need with a little patience

·
Registered
690 Posts
I just did mine at the end of last season. What are you converting, a batwing, or a king?

A member over on the HDF sent me complete parts list of what's needed ,everything including the nuts bolts and screws. I can email it to you if you want. You can also pull the parts lists from the Ronnies HD website micro fisches.

I did the 10+ as I have vented lowers. I sourced some stuff on eBay, but got impatient, and ordered the bulk of my stuff from Kutter online.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw the list on HDF. Ive read your build as well.

I'm converting a king.

If I run a 2010+ main bracket which supports do I need to run? 98-03 or 04+?

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
3,964 Posts
.....If I run a 2010+ main bracket which supports do I need to run? 98-03 or 04+?
...... '10+
..... i'm assuming you're referring to the supports coming off of the engine guard
.... they changed shape in '10 to make space for the lowers

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, the ones that go from the turn signal mounts to the gas tank mount. I don't have a crash bar so I'll need an alternative to the factory setup.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yes, the ones that go from the turn signal mounts to the gas tank mount. I don't have a crash bar so I'll need an alternative to the factory setup.
Hells foundry and a few other companies have crash bar eliminator kits for the fairing mounts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm down to the final part I need. Here's what I have 02 RK with an 08 Main Bracket. I know the support brackets are different between 98-03 & 04-13. Can anyone tell me what the difference is or which ones I need? These are the ones I'm talking about. I've tried to call Hells Foundry a couple times and messaged them on FB without any success.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
I'm down to the final part I need. Here's what I have 02 RK with an 08 Main Bracket. I know the support brackets are different between 98-03 & 04-13. Can anyone tell me what the difference is or which ones I need? These are the ones I'm talking about. I've tried to call Hells Foundry a couple times and messaged them on FB without any success.
There is a difference in the main bracket and the side support bracket in the 04 to 09 models, the main and side support brackets changed in 2010 to 2013.
To 2008 main support bracket you have puts the upper fairing a 1 3/4 lower then the 2010 main support bracket. The side support brackets that attach to the crash bar are different too, the 2008 bracket you have would have to have the straight shorter 04-09 side support brackets, the 2010 side support brackets are 1 /3/4 taller and have a curve in them.
With the 2008 brackets you can NOT use vented fairing lowers or non-vented fairing lowers for batwing bikes you can ONLY use Road Glide specific non-vented fairing lowers. If you don't plan on using fairing lowers then the fairing support brackets from the 2008 will work just fine.

I would suggest using the crash bar when doing this mod, you'll be glad you did the first time the bike tips over.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got ahold of M3 today and got the ghost brackets ordered. Thanks for the input on the crash bar. I have one so I might have to put it back on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts