Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a trip that will start in Portland Maine and end in Chicago - We will be about 15 to 20 motorcycles. My questions: Are there any good riding areas in Northern Maine? Where can one (or 20) stay in Northern Maine? Some of the crew is determined to touch the most Northern part of Maine. We would then need to stay in Madawauska or Fort Kent. My recollection of Northern Maine is that it is flat, heavily forested, rough straight roads with little population. My preference is to ride "dpwneast" to Eastport along the coast and then head to the lakes region (Rangley) and then into New Hampshire, VT and up-state NY... Any thoughts are welcome.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Group that big, I would suggest you call the Caribou Convention Center.
Nice place, pool, bar and restaurant on site. There is the Hampton Inn and Preque Isle Convention Center 20ish miles south of there on the way up. Ft Kent and Madawaska are an hour north of Caribou.

There are smaller hotels in Madawaska and Ft Kent, but it might be tough with a 20 bike group staying /eating together. (Northern Door Inn, Ft Kent)
There are lodges and other small hotels all over the County. ( Overlook in Eagle Lake comes to mind)

Ton of places to stay in Bangor on the way back down, if you are looking to p/u Rt 2 west to NH and VT.

The Four Corners monument is in Madawaska, and in Ft Kent theres a little park with the "End US Rt 1" monument. You could hit them both in under an hour.

RT 1 goes down the east border thru Calais ( pronounced " Kal-us" not Kal-lay" ) then turns up the coast. You could back track to Lubec and Quoddy Head (easternmost point in the lower 48), then go up to Ellsworth. Long rough slog down thru the woods, not a lot of services. I rode it last summer coming back from Gaspe'. Not a howling wilderness, but things are a ways apart down there. Road gets better down by the coast. Rt 9 ( The Airline) back to Bangor from Calais is a nice road now.

Lot of riding up here. If I had a big group coming from away like you have, I would say do the Portland to Caribou ride one day, stay, look around the Valley come back to Bangor taking all day to do it. Stay in Bangor, then you could ride out to Quoddy and Downeast coast loop. Back to Bangor for the night, then out Rt 2 for points west.

Keep in mind that the only HD dealers in Northern Maine are Central Me in Bangor and Ploudes in Caribou. Nothing east of the interstate, but a large metric dealer in Ellsworth. A breakdown will require a lengthy wrecker ride.

Theres 100 diff ways to do it. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks much Mike. That is exactly the feedback I was looking for. Very helpful. We usually ride out West and ride anywhere from 250 to 500 miles a day. Last year we rode to Vancouver BC, up into Banff, down to Sturgis and back to Chicago. The West is so much more wide open making it easier to make more miles. I know riding back East will slow down the miles.
Thanks again for the tips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts