Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a trip planning FYI for those coming from the south. You want to avoid I-95 from DC to just north of Boston. That may be the shortest route mileage wise, but you can qualify for Medicare by the time you get to Boston. Better routing is I-81 to I-84 in Scranton, then east to the Mass Pike for a short distance to
I-495 that loops north of Boston. I-495 will "T" into I-95. Go north on I-95 to the Gray exit (15 or so miles north of Portland). Off that exit take Rte. 26 right into Bethel.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I was thinking the same thing heading out from middle of Alabama. Used to live between DC and Philly. I95 can be a big parking lot.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Only done a couple quick looks at the routes, but I fully intend to avoid I-anything and stay on the secondary roads. Looks like it'll take me about 10 hrs and 50 miles more(spread over 3-4 days), but I'd much rather stay off the slab completely.
After our 450mi slab ride across Kansas on the way back from SWIII my wife agrees that the slab sucks too.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I go the 495 way every month for work. Rush hour is no bad through Worcester. But a lot better then Boston area for sure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Only done a couple quick looks at the routes, but I fully intend to avoid I-anything and stay on the secondary roads. Looks like it'll take me about 10 hrs and 50 miles more(spread over 3-4 days), but I'd much rather stay off the slab completely.
After our 450mi slab ride across Kansas on the way back from SWIII my wife agrees that the slab sucks too.
this is just a sujestion for those of you that may be coming into maine from the south... NOTE*this is not a time maker route! one road we have in this area considered to be biker Nirvana is NH route 153 if you want to avoid the slab...

consider:
NH spaulding turnpike north (Look for Rochester NH)
to rout 153 in sanbornville NH
cross over rt 25 continue to 153 into Conway NH
pick up rt 302 and head into Fryeburge Maine
continue north on route 5 into Bethel
***OR and this is a definate better way but slow going get on rt 113 in Fryeburge and take 113 to rt 2
113 will go through evens notch and is a spectacular!!! ride...look for Hurricane maountain road going into N. Conway as another road when you have time to explore...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Perfect route, northwoods! That's how I get up there from NE PA. I84 through Hartford is a bit hairy at certain times, but nothing too crazy. If anyone wants or needs a coffee stop off I81 before Wilkes-Barre, let me know -- I'm 5 mins from 81. :coffee:

NK, your route sounds beautiful. (hopping on bing maps and wasting time now)

·
7,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Wheres everyone headed?? Is something going on in Maine? :D
Aw, look what you've all done now! I told you guys to keep this quiet, now we're going to have to tell Quicksand about SW4 in Maine. Geeze, many small towns in Maine are just starting to recover from his last trip here ealier this year. :eek:

·
7,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't say that I blame you for that, but a lot of our members will need to take the superslabs due to schedule and work considerations. I didn't want those unfamiliar with the I-95 corridor to miss SW4 because they were still stuck on the I-95 parking lot.

·
7,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd still like to come up for a visit this year, someone mentioned 3rd week in September, hard to ride as much as you'de like, even with an awesomely smooth touring bike, it wears you out, little by little, but want to do something, another week long ride
So what's stopping you, come on up! If you want to be here for peak foliage season come the first week or two in Oct. If you don't care about the foliage, come in Sept. Summer tourists are pretty much gone, and the busloads of blue-haired leaf peepers haven't arrived yet. Plus, Sept. is one of our dryest months and the day time temps are typically still well into the
mid-to-upper 70s. GMAN SERGU and I just talked last night about getting together on 9/14 and 15 to map out some of the SW4 day ride routes. You're welcome to come hang with us for a day or two.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts