Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here is my project for this week. After seeing a few great ideas here. I decided to start my own project. I liked nakedsnowmans RG sound system so I am doing the same but with a few changes.
First thing I did was creating a template for the 6x9. I used a cardboard and marked the bolt holes on the bottom of the fairing as a reference.

Next I used white out to mark up the holes. Then cut them out with the dremel tool.

Then I marked and cut what was needed out of the glove box.

Here is a pic with glove box liner installed

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
continued

continued
Then installed both 6x9's

After I installed the inner faring I ran into a clearance problem with the speaker grill. So I had to cut one of the legs of the speaker grill. It was hitting the bolt that holds the plastic covers on the fork.

I just installed the inner faring and will continue working on it this week.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a lot of work left. I need to install the Alpine radio, Alpine Power Pack & the Kicker 6.5 Components. I know some people really like the there glove box but I figure the little I lost in the glove boxes for a lot gained in sound would be fine with me. As you can see I can still put my shades and gloves in them.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Thats a nice mod man, and I bet it will sound nice.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope so.. It drives me crazy not being able to out blast my buddies Goldwing. I had the hawg wired with double shot. When he would pull up next to me I can barley hear my system. So out with the not so old and in with the new. LOL

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok Well hooked up the head unit temporarily to hear it. How the sound is incredible. Its crystal clear. I am I need to order biketronics adapter plate to finish install. I cant wait to get it on the road.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Just tired to install the outer fairing. :mad: The 6x9 are hitting it. I need to move the 6x9's 1 inch higher. So any ideas would be great. If not I have to get another fairing or find some really low profile 6x9's

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'd say at this point you would be better off with a lower profile speaker, check out Boston acoustics

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Just my thoughts. Couldn't you make an adapter ring to go between the speaker and the fairing to bring it out alittle. Or would that cause clearance issues with the steering? Like I said, just my thoughts. I like what you are doing though, might look at doing something similar myself.

·
Registered
659 Posts
here is a link to a list of low profile 6x9 speakers on google

I would check the speakers out as to how far they stick out,
in that the outside fairing curves in pretty tight the lower you get...

Other option would be to move the ones you have up, loose some more
of the glove box and then make a filler panel to cover the gap left when
you move them..

Best bet is going to be a low profile if you can find one.

Your speakers from the specs charts have a 3 3/16 mounting depth

These Cadence low profile 6x9 have a 2.36 inch depth - that's over an inch savings
and maybe enough to fix your problem..

CadeanceZRS69S

6 x 9 Low Profile

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the Help guys. Well a friend gave me some kenwood speakers that worked somewhat. They are a hitting the out fairing but I can still close it. I did see those Cadence Speakers. I just bought a pair off of ebay. I also got a 1/4" Speaker spacers off of ebay. I hope I get a sure solution with one or both of these products. I am going to Daytona Bike Week May 11th-13th. So I need my system up and running. I also ended up buying the biketronics for $190 at a local bike shop. So I should be getting everything by this Friday giving me enough time to setup and go. BTW the sound for the system is incredible.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Can yo mount the speakers on the outside and get rid of the grills? That should free up some space

·
Registered
111 Posts
I hope so.. It drives me crazy not being able to out blast my buddies Goldwing. I had the hawg wired with double shot. When he would pull up next to me I can barley hear my system. So out with the not so old and in with the new. LOL
I've got the Hawg Wired 300w amp & 4 DX speakers (2 in fairing, 2 in lowers) and I feel the same way... sucks to spend that much money to not be happy.

Just hit up my local bike ship who does a lot of custom audio... waiting to see what their recommendations are... looking to go with the 6x9s in the inner fairing, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see what you finally end up using.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good luck with the project, what model alpine unit are you using and would like to know if that is an Ipod holder, if so where did you get it I need one
Thanks

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can yo mount the speakers on the outside and get rid of the grills? That should free up some space
Well they are installed outside. No way you can install inside.

Crusty Quote:

I've got the Hawg Wired 300w amp & 4 DX speakers (2 in fairing, 2 in lowers) and I feel the same way... sucks to spend that much money to not be happy.

Just hit up my local bike ship who does a lot of custom audio... waiting to see what their recommendations are... looking to go with the 6x9s in the inner fairing, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see what you finally end up using.
Well I feel your pain. Go with the cadence speakers. They fit perfect. Do the 6.5 up front and you will be good to go.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I am fully up and running. This is what I have installed
Alpine Model: CDA-105 | This unit has Ipod connecter and HPF (high pass filter)<This is a must
Alpine 4 Channel Car Stereo Amplifier Model: KTP-445 | Only 7" x 2.5"
Kicker DS Series 6-1/2" Car Stereo Component Speakers Model: DS65
Model ZRS-69S 6” x 9” Super Slim Two Way Speaker System ( they speaker sound great for what they are. They are low profile face (great for steering clearance) & low top mount depth (great for clearing the inner fairing)
The biketronics retro radio kit. (this is highway robbery but the only way to go) $250 and no rain cover? WTF!!!
So I have about $700 into the sound system. Not what I wanted to spend but it will still blow away ANY Hog tunes or hawg wired setup.
All for the same price.
The only thing I would do differently would be going with the Polk Audio MM series. The only problem they are almost 3 times the money. The Polk Audio MM series is Marine Grade and they are very low profile. So they should fit fine.
http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/speakers-systems.php#mm

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BTW I will be at bike week if anyone wants to meet up.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Wow

You're truly fearless.
There is no way I'd have the guts to carve huge holes in my fairing!
I freaked out just lookin at the pictures.
Looks good, I'm sure you'll blow the chrome off any Goldwing in town.
Also those annoying kids with the bass set so low they rattle their own hub caps off.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts