Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Texas state law went into effect today, 1/1/2014 regarding motorcycles, named Malorie's Law HB3838. Motorcycles designed to carry more than one person to have handholds and footpegs for the passenger.

Malorie’s law

The final piece of HB3838, known as Malorie’s law, will take effect Thursday, requiring motorcycles designed to carry more than one person to have handholds and foot pegs for the passenger.

The overall law, which deals with training and license requirements for three-wheeled motorcycles, is named for Malorie Bullock, a 19-year-old from Sherman killed in 2010 in an accident near Campbell, about 90 miles northeast of Fort Worth.

The Texas A&M University-Commerce student was riding on the back of a motorcycle when it swerved off the road to avoid hitting a truck that had pulled in front of it, reports have shown.

“Malorie was wearing a helmet that did her no good when it was knocked off by the road sign she hit as she rode on that elevated seat,” according to a post written by a person who identified herself as “Malorie’s grandmother” on the Facebook page for Malorie’s law. “We are weary of seeing all the preventable injuries and deaths on our roads and hwys. Just trying to make a difference.”

Much of the law — such as a ban on passengers unless the motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person — is already in effect.

“I pray that this small change in the law will make people think before getting on the back of a motorcycle and placing your life in the hands of someone else,” according to another post on the Facebook page. “I pray that the person driving the bike will have enough thought about the ones they place behind them to care if they are trained properly and the bike is equipped properly. I also pray that those of us driving cars watch out for those on motorcycles. Please be safe.”

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/politics-government/article5244969.html#storylink=cpy

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
that's why god invented love handles

chances are that most "boutique laws" with catchy names are already in place and buried in the books somewhere a hundred years ago or unecessary for that same reason

rider and passenger safety is always a concern on two wheels..

know before you go..

and never out ride your classification or comfort level..

although generally quicker than most motor vehicles off the line from a dead stop, extra caution and care should be taken when either engaging a passenger or in traffic situations or both..

// I'm sure this law is more than likely just restating the obvious, and personal loss is painful for those left behind, but giving crack and white officers one more excuse to be rude to motorcyclist may or may not be as effective at it's intended solution.. //

but snappy name - good publicity stunt -

some people just hate bikers - that's where the saluting symbol comes in - salute //

·
Administrator
11,414 Posts
footpegs or boards for a passenger is a no brainer , but grab handles ?? the forces on an impact would rip your arms from your shoulders if you were able to think to grab them and actually hold on during impact

JtB

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
“Malorie was wearing a helmet that did her no good when it was knocked off by the road sign she hit as she rode on that elevated seat,” according to a post written by a person who identified herself as “Malorie’s grandmother” on the Facebook page for Malorie’s law. “We are weary of seeing all the preventable injuries and deaths on our roads and hwys. Just trying to make a difference.”
i'm sorry for the grandmother's loss, but if a helmet wasn't going to do her any good, then neither will a 'grab handle'....

footpegs or boards for a passenger is a no brainer , but grab handles ?? the forces on an impact would rip your arms from your shoulders if you were able to think to grab them and actually hold on during impact

JtB
actually, i think it's already in place. would have to see the actual requirements in this new law, but i believe that the dot already requires a 'grab strap' for any motorcycle that has passenger space.

hey, i've got a great idea. why don't we do something about those pesky motorcycles on the road. instead of the driver of the truck that pulled out in front of them........

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
The HD touring models already come with OEM footpegs and grab handle (strap across seat) for the passenger.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I'm all for being safe but a strap across a seat can not be considered a safety restraint device. I work in the automotive industry and I know its a world of difference from motorcycles but to get a device certified as a safety restraint or safety related you have to have crash studies and data. Where is that on the seat strap? I too feel for the family that suffered this loss but another law likely wont prevent this from happening again. There was a law in place that prohibits a truck from not pulling out in front of a motorcycle....didn't prevent this tragedy. I think if you have a passenger then it needs to be on a bike that is designed for 2 up riding. That means a sufficient seat and pegs or boards, maybe even a back rest to prevent coming off the back but a strap bolted to the frame that most cant get their hands under is not the answer.

·
Registered
8,560 Posts
This is just another law put out there just to say the lawmakers are doing something. They need to justify their jobs. Like mentioned before, if the helmet wasn't good enough to save her then there's nothing that would've saved her.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
While I am sorry for her family's loss, this is just more "feel good" legislation. It's only intent is to endear politicians to their constituents.

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
While I am sorry for her family's loss, this is just more "feel good" legislation. It's only intent is to endear politicians to their constituents.
That's all it is. Just an other useless law to appease someone.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Post doesn't include all the facts but it seems like there is more to the helmet issue. The law has specifics (hand holds, foot pegs) but seems to really target the issue of riding passengers on bikes that aren't designed for it (referenced by the grandmother's "elevated seat"
comment)

There is a lot to be said and improved about the legislative process but we still have it best in the world. I've witnessed the alternatives first hand on deployments

Militia's in most of Africa, Dictatorship in North Korea, the list goes on.

Buddy, I'll take what we have ;)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Interestingly the law does not define what the HANDHOLD device is:

Sec. 547.617. MOTORCYCLE FOOTRESTS AND HANDHOLDS REQUIRED. A motorcycle that is designed to carry more than one person must be equipped with footrests and handholds for use by the passenger.

Added by Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1111 (H.B. 3838), Sec. 4, eff. January 1, 2015.

I do believe my upper bag guards are being used by my kid as a handhold device, he always puts his fingers between the guards and the lid holding on for the fun of it.

I wonder if the next set of laws will require you to have 2 hands on your motorcycle at all times, even in a wreck........

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Thanks for posting I was not aware of this new legislation.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sorry to hear of the Grandmother's loss, but I agree with previous comments that the Truck Driver and other vehicles which create the crash be fully charged. We have far too many excuses and not enough people being held accountable for stupid actions. This includes the dumb asses on cell phones and women putting on make-up. :mad:

OK I feel better now...

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Sounds like an awfully liberal-thought law. Not norm of TX....

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I rode my bike today without hand holds and occasionally with only one hand. Where's my top and bottom rocker?!!!!

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I rode my bike today without hand holds and occasionally with only one hand. Where's my top and bottom rocker?!!!!
long form plan holding out for national status I guess??..

re: this previous post, realistically, the little strap across the stock seat was put on there by milwaukee to address little old white haired ladies, nice and well meaning as they are, to say look a hand hold

and great point, besides having that option already, the saddle bag front guards and full guards do the same thing, even the tourpak mount itself..

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Post doesn't include all the facts but it seems like there is more to the helmet issue. The law has specifics (hand holds, foot pegs) but seems to really target the issue of riding passengers on bikes that aren't designed for it (referenced by the grandmother's "elevated seat"
comment)

There is a lot to be said and improved about the legislative process but we still have it best in the world. I've witnessed the alternatives first hand on deployments

Militia's in most of Africa, Dictatorship in North Korea, the list goes on.

Buddy, I'll take what we have ;)

For SURE! I live in Texas and was aware of the law, but like was mentioned before, all touring bikes already meet the requirements of the law and have for some time. I was really just looking to see how long it took for someone to cry "liberal". Lol.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 21 Posts