Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running one of these ? Had mine installed today. I will give some updates after picking up the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
thinking of this upgrade as part of my "bullet proof" the failure spots. Be interested in your thoughts after a few rides.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thinking of this upgrade as part of my "bullet proof" the failure spots. Be interested in your thoughts after a few rides.
Picking it up tomorrow. Will have a 70 mile ride home. I will probably get 3 to 400 miles on it this weekend.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Put it on without a washer on the bolt. Came with no instructions in the box whatsoever. That didn’t work. Obviously it did not get completely tight. Had a bad rattle. Took it apart and added washer. Sounds fine now. So everyone be advised that a washer may be needed on the comp bolt. According to Andrew at Dark Horse some of HD comp bolts are shorter than others. Imagine that. HD half assing something.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
So everyone be advised that a washer may be needed on the comp bolt. According to Andrew at Dark Horse some of HD comp bolts are shorter than others. Imagine that. HD half assing something.
HD manufacturing tolerances have always been scrutinized.
i've been watching Keenan Tatro rebuild engines from knuckles to M8s. very knowledgeable fellow!

·
Administrator
11,190 Posts
Tatro is cool , old school , lots of comments trash him cause he's doing it old school , saw him true flywheels with an indicator strait out of the early 1900's , but he was on it ..

JtB

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
I was talking with a H-D tech the other day and he made the statement that the techs are just not allowed to do as much as they once did. It is more about just replacing parts, than true detail work. He has been around H-D dealerships for a long time and knows his stuff.

·
Registered
9,268 Posts
Definitely some old school work there. You don't see that much anymore.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
I've been hearing a lot about that man o war. I know it's "rebuildable" but I'd love to hear about the longevity of it

·
Registered
137 Posts
So this past weekend I had this upgrade installed along with a few others. I was very surprised to find how much more responsive the throttle is. Makes perfect sense when i think about it, but just never really registered.

Did 800 miles on it in the last three days, and I am very pleased with the results. I have noticed a slight bit more primary noise, and I'm fairly certain that's a normal byproduct of ditching the comp in favor of a "solid" style sprocket. I'll do a 30 day review to keep any interested parties updated.

·
Registered
2013 RGU, FM 110, Super Shox (rear)/Pro-Action (fork kit),
122 Posts
I have one going on with my new build next week. I’m curious to see how it feels with the higher hp/tq numbers. Thanks for the review and I’ll follow both updates.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Blowby,
This was part of my primary upgrade including SOHB Hydraulic chain tensioner, billet clutch basket, and Rekluse Torque Drive clutch system. The other part was stage II and dyno. While it's not a 124 or big bore build, it runs strong and clutch pulls hard immediately. Put a smile on my face.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So this past weekend I had this upgrade installed along with a few others. I was very surprised to find how much more responsive the throttle is. Makes perfect sense when i think about it, but just never really registered.

Did 800 miles on it in the last three days, and I am very pleased with the results. I have noticed a slight bit more primary noise, and I'm fairly certain that's a normal byproduct of ditching the comp in favor of a "solid" style sprocket. I'll do a 30 day review to keep any interested parties updated.
I took mine off. It made the trans rattle so bad it was unbearable. I guess you can call it neutral knock. Having trans replaced with a Baker grudge box because I am having 3rd gear issues. Also adding a trask clutch basket. I will put the Man O War back on after the trans swap. So for now I am bikeless. Baker said 7-10 days to get trans. We will see. I have heard horror stories about waiting for Baker Transmissions to arrive. Hope that is not the case.

·
Registered
137 Posts
For those following this, I wanted to just add a quick 30 day review.

I had the Man-o-war installed close to 2500 miles ago in the 2019 CVO 117. I did a 700 mile run home and have used the bike for the last 30 days for my daily commute on both highway and city traffic..............
I will add that I had several upgrades done at the same time which all work in conjunction to each other in the primary, (SOHB Hydraulic chain tensioner, Billet clutch basket with Rekluse torque drive clutch pack) however, my opinion is only focused on the motor sprocket.

The pros: I noticed that there was immediate response and pull when the clutch was engaged and throttle twisted, more than i remember from the stock configuration. There is no odd chattering upon start up or shut down, and fewer moving parts to wear down. Performance wise I feel a small improvement in responsiveness.

The cons: As mentioned previously there is now more noise from the primary and trans. This is noticeable when the bike idles in neutral or when in gear with the clutch lever pulled in at lights. With a cam, depending on the lope, it will be way more noticeable. Even after Freedom1974 mentioned the noise, I wasn't sure what to expect given different bikes and parts, but accept the increased primary noise for what it is. (It is my opinion that with a lopey cam the extra movement/chatter will cause increased wear to a stock clutch basket)

While in gear and riding there is no excess noise compared to that of the stock comp that I can hear. The engine and primary just hum along. When I sit at a light, I can hear the chatter of the trans, clutch pack and possibly the primary chain. In neutral the noise is just slightly more. I do have a RS468 cam which has a good lope to it in the 117, and may contribute to the extra chatter. I am overall happy with decision. I do have a 3000+ mile trip coming up in September and will report any new observations following my return.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I rebuilt my 103"TC to a 107" earlier this year and was considering the ManOWar comp for my bike. I had my flywheels trued, balanced and welded at DarkHorse. I talked to Andrew at DarkHorse about the ManOWar and he said they were too new to give a longevity report but seemed to be holding up well. I don't remember how often he said the rubber center needed to be changed. So I decided to do a solid compensator instead. I found one that was made in the US. I had also installed a Baker DD7 transmission kit at the same time and new Alto Carbonite +1 clutches. I also run the SOHB hydraulic primary chain tensioner. Because I was getting used to and breaking in a new motor, I could not feel an immediate improvement in performance but I did notice an increase in the noise level of the primary. I did notice the additional chain slap from the motor pulses at idle and low speed, low throttle conditions. I cannot say that I felt any improvement in takeoff or how the clutch release felt. And I paid extra attention to keep the motor rpms above 2000 while riding, to prevent lugging the motor. After running that solid comp for about 3000 miles, I decided to put the stock compensator back on the bike. I noticed an immediate decrease in noise from the primary and the chain slap went away too. I did not feel any difference in the performance or clutch feel upon going back to the stock compensator. And I should probably state that I am running a set of Dragos 580 cams.
I hope this helps anyone trying to make a decision on one of these options.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For those following this, I wanted to just add a quick 30 day review.

I had the Man-o-war installed close to 2500 miles ago in the 2019 CVO 117. I did a 700 mile run home and have used the bike for the last 30 days for my daily commute on both highway and city traffic..............
I will add that I had several upgrades done at the same time which all work in conjunction to each other in the primary, (SOHB Hydraulic chain tensioner, Billet clutch basket with Rekluse torque drive clutch pack) however, my opinion is only focused on the motor sprocket.

The pros: I noticed that there was immediate response and pull when the clutch was engaged and throttle twisted, more than i remember from the stock configuration. There is no odd chattering upon start up or shut down, and fewer moving parts to wear down. Performance wise I feel a small improvement in responsiveness.

The cons: As mentioned previously there is now more noise from the primary and trans. This is noticeable when the bike idles in neutral or when in gear with the clutch lever pulled in at lights. With a cam, depending on the lope, it will be way more noticeable. Even after Freedom1974 mentioned the noise, I wasn't sure what to expect given different bikes and parts, but accept the increased primary noise for what it is. (It is my opinion that with a lopey cam the extra movement/chatter will cause increased wear to a stock clutch basket)

While in gear and riding there is no excess noise compared to that of the stock comp that I can hear. The engine and primary just hum along. When I sit at a light, I can hear the chatter of the trans, clutch pack and possibly the primary chain. In neutral the noise is just slightly more. I do have a RS468 cam which has a good lope to it in the 117, and may contribute to the extra chatter. I am overall happy with decision. I do have a 3000+ mile trip coming up in September and will report any new observations following my return.
Installed ManOWar on 2012 Glide with 70k miles.
Tons better than the SE OEM junk.
Longevity yet to be seen. Don’t beat the bike too hard.
Regarding the noise in comments here. Darkhorse does warn in their Instructions, (Yeh, what the hell are those eh?) that hi-mileage Bikes will get a neutral noise. Mine is not very loud. Greatly improved over the Clunk-Clatter of the HD.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts