Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
8,412 Posts
Did ya'll remove your Spring packs before installing the solid gear or MOW comp ?
Are you talking about the springs for the stock compensator? You need to remove those in order to use the solid sprocket and I imagine it's the same for the MOW too

·
Registered
8,412 Posts
The second is a lack of damping at idle. If you have a set up that cam lopes at idle, you will probably have some neutral knock.
I believe you hit the nail on the head. Lack of dampening at idle I believe is precisely the problem. As far as far as I'm concerned, I still believe what I stated in my "opinion" post to be more related to the primary and not an engine knock. I originally put the solid sprocket on a brand new S&S crate engine and I had noise in the primary from day one. I pulled the S&S crate motor out to put in a project bike when I had my stock engine totally rebuilt. With both engines I had the neutral primary knock with the solid sprocket. I dont know the shaft runout specs but I highly doubt both engines that are brand new were way off of proper specs. Lack of dampening will amplify any little bit of noise and possible vibration

Reactions: Zedbra

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Are you talking about the springs for the stock compensator? You need to remove those in order to use the solid sprocket and I imagine it's the same for the MOW too
This says its optional. I dont see why you'd leave then in there but you never know.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I believe you hit the nail on the head. Lack of dampening at idle I believe is precisely the problem. As far as far as I'm concerned, I still believe what I stated in my "opinion" post to be more related to the primary and not an engine knock. I originally put the solid sprocket on a brand new S&S crate engine and I had noise in the primary from day one. I pulled the S&S crate motor out to put in a project bike when I had my stock engine totally rebuilt. With both engines I had the neutral primary knock with the solid sprocket. I dont know the shaft runout specs but I highly doubt both engines that are brand new were way off of proper specs. Lack of dampening will amplify any little bit of noise and possible vibration
Ya, my 30 tooth solid on my twin cam is pretty noisy. But it sure do make that scooter wicked quick.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Interesting to finally hear all the first-hand feedback from riders about the MOW. It was sure hyped when it first came out (so was the first gen Baker comp), but it seems now that it is not really living up to the kudos that the internet dished out originally; I even considered buying one for a bit, but I have actually had decent longevity out of my OE comp even though it is considered 'the bad year' model. I can scratch the MOW off the list - thanks gents.
Don't get me started on Baker comps.

1st Gen, less than 4000 miles.

·
Registered
8,412 Posts
Ya, my 30 tooth solid on my twin cam is pretty noisy. But it sure do make that scooter wicked quick.
I use a stock 34 tooth sprocket and even that is more responsive than a stock comp but yes they are noisy lol

·
Registered
8,412 Posts
This says its optional. I dont see why you'd leave then in there but you never know.
I used a drag specialties solid sprocket but strictly going from that photo it looks like a different rotor than what I have. I have the SE rotor from when I originally changed out to the first edition SE comp.

Reactions: Big_gary

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
I am running the Vulcan 32 Tooth Compensator Eliminator Sprocket with the Baker Attitude Chain Adjuster on My '12 Custom for quite some time now and it is very quiet indeed. I believe those with a solid gear that are hearing noise it is coming from the primary chain that either has the stock tensioner or The Hayden.
But then again, this is only My Honest Opinion.
Best of Luck to All that have the dreaded Primary Noise.
Mike U.

·
Administrator
11,144 Posts
So how ewe macaroons like the Vulcan ?? I considered the MOW after listening to Kevin at Pro Twin .. But I aint so sure with my stock HD crank in there .. You need some type of shock absorber .. I had the Hayden in and out a couple times and put the HD back in last week after 5000 miles on the Hayden , the Hayden had more wear than the HD in 70k miles .. Kinda curious about the OHB hydraulic tensioner , have to pick Nick's brain if he makes the ride in September

JtB

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
So how ewe macaroons like the Vulcan ?? I considered the MOW after listening to Kevin at Pro Twin .. But I aint so sure with my stock HD crank in there .. You need some type of shock absorber .. I had the Hayden in and out a couple times and put the HD back in last week after 5000 miles on the Hayden , the Hayden had more wear than the HD in 70k miles .. Kinda curious about the OHB hydraulic tensioner , have to pick Nick's brain if he makes the ride in September

JtB
Jack, I have been pleasantly pleased with the way the Vulcan works with the Baker Attitude Adjuster.
Mike U.

·
Administrator
11,144 Posts
I was thinking about the 32 tooth , but it bumps rpms up a bit much me thinks for slabbing . Quick off the line tho'

JtB

·
Registered
8,412 Posts
Mike you still have the stock crank right ?

JtB
Just a little FYI. If you lug the motor with a stock compensator then the solid sprocket is not what you want to use.

Reactions: Mike U

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Before I run a solid sprocket I want to see what someones clutch basket looks like that has been running one for around 15-20k miles. A compensator is basically a shock absorber for the engine/drivetrain. All that force that a comp absorbs has to go to other componentrs once you get rid of it. My guess woul be the clutch basket would take a pounding. I'm not bashing those that run them so please don't take offense. It's just a question on longevity and if it's worth it in the long run. I know they feel good and responsive but I feel like there has to be a downside. Maybe not....

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Before I run a solid sprocket I want to see what someones clutch basket looks like that has been running one for around 15-20k miles. A compensator is basically a shock absorber for the engine/drivetrain. All that force that a comp absorbs has to go to other componentrs once you get rid of it. My guess woul be the clutch basket would take a pounding. I'm not bashing those that run them so please don't take offense. It's just a question on longevity and if it's worth it in the long run. I know they feel good and responsive but I feel like there has to be a downside. Maybe not....
I'm not changing to a solid gear for performance. I just want to be able to start my motorcycle when the engine is hot. The MOCO should be ashamed of the JUNK oem compensator they used on these bikes.
If I was to upgrade 😳😳😓😲 to the moco's fix , (they call it Screaming Eagle) .1st time cost would be close to a grand in parts . Then I'd still have a Inferior product.
Everyone I've talked to says the weak link in a solid gear is the main bearing. About every 30-40 k it goes out. Then again FDR has not had any problems in 70k.
Now of course if your one of those guys that ride your harley like a Honda crotch rocket, things are breaking anyway.

Reactions: Mike U
41 - 60 of 64 Posts