Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

Registered
Before I run a solid sprocket I want to see what someones clutch basket looks like that has been running one for around 15-20k miles. A compensator is basically a shock absorber for the engine/drivetrain. All that force that a comp absorbs has to go to other componentrs once you get rid of it. My guess woul be the clutch basket would take a pounding. I'm not bashing those that run them so please don't take offense. It's just a question on longevity and if it's worth it in the long run. I know they feel good and responsive but I feel like there has to be a downside. Maybe not....
My thinking also........If a rider is looking for more throttle response and easy fix is to add inches:D

Alot of good first hand info here

Registered
I did replace the trans at 90k because of 3rd gear dogs. That was the extra power from the FM 107 kit fault 馃榿 New to me trans had 2400 miles on it when I got it from eBay for $300
00. Sold my old trans for $200. Would have cost me more to rebuild . Trans has 20k and still shifting. The next time I need to get into the primary I'll take pics.

Registered
Definitely good information on here. I did a lot of research and talked to several well known engine builders before I did my build and each thought the MOW was a good product, even though it was new, and in some cases unavailable. I decided to go with the Vulcan also because I did not want to be a guinea pig for the MOW. Because I had a rebuilt motor, upgraded case bearing, DarkHorse fully rebuilt flywheels, Baker DD7, new Alto Carbon +1 clutches, and a SOHB hydraulic primary tensioner, I was experiencing a lot of new things at once with the solid comp gear. I will say that the hydraulic tensioner definitely helped because it adjusts constantly to every condition the primary is seeing. Part of what I was dealing with was a tune issue that was causing my bike to run a little erratically and I'm sure that contributed a lot to what I was hearing. When I removed the Vulcan solid comp gear and put the HD back on, I still had some of the same noises, just not as much, which I attribute to the stock compensator's ability to mask the tune problem. I would venture to say that had I not had the tune issue, I most likely would have kept the solid comp gear on the bike. It definitely gives you a better feeling acceleration. I would think the only thing that would cause problems with a clutch basket would be slamming gears and riding like you're racing it. But for every day, fairly aggressive riding, it is a felt improvement, as long as your drivetrain is capable of taking the extra strain. Who knows, I may give it a try again some day.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I have had enough with the noise. Going to replace the MOW with stock Comp with the Cycle Rama billet ramp. I will let you all know if the noise goes away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 - 64 of 64 Posts