Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short intro, just traded my dyna for 2010 rg and im really liking it. Will post pictures later. My question is why nobody on this site has mentioned using a master tune. I thought Doc was dealer but I might be mistaken.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
There are a few threads in here where it's mentioned. Maybe because it is a bit more expensive, and/or its a do it yourself type tuner.:confused: I dont know
All good things Ive heard about them, but I went with a PCV from Fuel Moto.
My dealer only uses the Power Commanders, so that pushed me in that direction of the PCV. Search TTS Master tune and some threads will pop up. Here are a couple:
http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=905&highlight=Master+Tune

http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=519&highlight=Master+Tune&page=5

·
Registered
68 Posts
Short intro, just traded my dyna for 2010 rg and im really liking it. Will post pictures later. My question is why nobody on this site has mentioned using a master tune. I thought Doc was dealer but I might be mistaken.
I have the TTS Master Tune, and in my view it gives you the best control over fuel management, since it allows you to make changes to your existing ECM and with Vtune, to create a map specific to your bike and your preferences.

However, it is expensive ($425) and what you're really paying for is their software to run on your laptop. In my opinion, the "black box" only serves as a fancy interface between your bike's datalink plug and a USB connector to your laptop.

If you buy the box, you'll be able to load their software onto your PC, but you still won't be able to use it until you buy the cable... another 79 bucks. TTS has been hanging around MOCO too long: sell the product, then sell them the accessories so they can actually use it.

But it is a well done program.

In my opinion, unless you plan to make changes over time to your bike and would need to have the map compatible, I think you might want to wait until you get any major changes made, and then get the PCV from Fuelmoto with their maps that'll probably be pretty close to what you have done. Of course, if you pull it out of your system, you'll then be running the real map that's in the ECM and your scooter might not sound so hot. Remember, the PCV modifies what the ECM has to say, the TTS actually changes the ECM, Either way can be very effective.

But I'm NOT an expert!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have the TTS MasterTune on my 2011 RGU and on my best friend's 2007 Ultra.

I love it!

I like the fact that I have control, and can change, and Vtune and remap...

It is a bit spendy, but I bought a $25,000 motorcycle, why not spend another 4 bones for a tuner?

AND, when I'm ready to dyno tune, it's one of the most comprehensive programs on the market in the hands of a pro...

I bet you've spent that much in chrome.... ;)

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
before buying a mastertune check out the Dynojet power vision. It will be released soon and looks like a very nice unit for the home tuner.

·
Registered
347 Posts
TTS here, too. We used it on my Springer and my wife's Street Glide. When I upgrade the cams on the new RGU, Doc will be tuning it with a TTS as well.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I've been considering TTS but how hard is it to use for the layman? I understand it's fully customizable but are there canned maps for popular set ups?

When I get my FLTRX 103, I plan on going with VH dresser duals and probably monster rounds with an SE intake. I really like the idea of no need for a full-time installed module but all those editable tables are fairly intimidating. I can turn a wrench just fine (I'll install everything myself), and I am a bit of a gear-head as well as a computer geek, but I'm no engineer.

The above changes are all the "performance mods" I plan on doing for quite a while ... I'm wondering if I'd better off just going with the HD download and save a few bucks.

-phil

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've been considering TTS but how hard is it to use for the layman? I understand it's fully customizable but are there canned maps for popular set ups?

When I get my FLTRX 103, I plan on going with VH dresser duals and probably monster rounds with an SE intake. I really like the idea of no need for a full-time installed module but all those editable tables are fairly intimidating. I can turn a wrench just fine (I'll install everything myself), and I am a bit of a gear-head as well as a computer geek, but I'm no engineer.

The above changes are all the "performance mods" I plan on doing for quite a while ... I'm wondering if I'd better off just going with the HD download and save a few bucks.

-phil
Yesterday I had the SE Stage 1 air cleaner and download installed. I'm keeping the stock pipes for now. The results were surprising. I expected the gain in power and throttle response, but I didn't realize that the exhaust sound would increase like it did. I'm going to live with it this way for a while and get a better feel for it before I decide if I'm going to mod the exhaust. There's plenty of good V-twin rumble when I get on it and it's still quiet for cruising.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts

-phil
Yes, it can be intimidating. Call Steve at TTS and ask him about getting some tech support over the phone if you purchase the tuner (310-669-8101).

·
Registered
68 Posts
TTS here, too. We used it on my Springer and my wife's Street Glide. When I upgrade the cams on the new RGU, Doc will be tuning it with a TTS as well.
The TTS I have is supposedly "married" to my bike and can't be used on any other bike. They do offer versions that will allow you to do more than one. I'm guessing there's a chip in the "black box" that burns the ECM's identy the first time you use it. Dealer says if I ever sell the bike, the TTS I have will have to go with the bike, since it can't be used for anything else.

So I'm curious how you were able to use it on both the Springer and the SG.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
The TTS I have is supposedly "married" to my bike and can't be used on any other bike. They do offer versions that will allow you to do more than one. I'm guessing there's a chip in the "black box" that burns the ECM's identy the first time you use it. Dealer says if I ever sell the bike, the TTS I have will have to go with the bike, since it can't be used for anything else.

You'll find your answer here: http://www.mastertune.net/ordering.html

·
Registered
347 Posts

I have one for each. Yes, they are "married" to a specific bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts