Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the vented lowers w/speaker pods from Matuza. Has anyone installed these on the pre 09 bikes?

I have a stock 04 and the lowers themselves don't fit. The add said you had to modify the cap which I already knew, but the lower itself is
right up against the fairing and not even straight (see pics) and no chance the speaker pods will mount like this. Matuza suggested posting here to see if anyone has had this issue and has a fix.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
I bought the vented lowers w/speaker pods from Matuza. Has anyone installed these on the pre 09 bikes?

I have a stock 04 and the lowers themselves don't fit. The add said you had to modify the cap which I already knew, but the lower itself is
right up against the fairing and not even straight (see pics) and no chance the speaker pods will mount like this. Matuza suggested posting here to see if anyone has had this issue and has a fix.

Any help would be appreciated.
The only fix I know of , is to buy the 2010 - 2013 fairing brackets. That or I once heard about a company that made lower fairing mount modification brackets. I can't remember who made them though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
will these raise my fairing? It needs at least an inch. And are they a direct fit to my fairing?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I don't know if you're having the same problem I ran into, but my early 00's lower fairing that was given to me touched my inner fairing. I took off my front fairing, bought a 2010 inner fairing bracket ($60), installed the inner fairing and it raised the inner fairing up, which let my lowers fit correctly.

I also bought the Hell's Foundry hidden bracket to clean up the look. I didn't like the mounts that hook up to crash bar.

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
will these raise my fairing? It needs at least an inch. And are they a direct fit to my fairing?
Yes, they will raise the rear of the fairing up. Your not the first to do the mod. You will need both outer chrome brackets, and the main center bracket , inside the outer fairing.

I also have the Matazu lower fairings with the 6.5 speaker pods. They fit great on my 2010.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, they will raise the rear of the fairing up. Your not the first to do the mod. You will need both outer chrome brackets, and the main center bracket , inside the outer fairing.

I also have the Matazu lower fairings with the 6.5 speaker pods. They fit great on my 2010.
Damn that sounds like alot of extra work for something that is supposed to fit other than modifying the caps.

Thanks for the responses guys.

·
Registered
98 Posts
As said already, the 2010-2013 fairing brackets will move your fairing to allow those lowers to fit. I did this on my '06 (also bought the Mutazu lowers) and they fit perfectly. It all depends on how you want the final outcome to look. I preferred it too look like it was meant to be there rather than cutting and modifying pieces. It really is not all that much work, the wiring in the fairing is pretty self explanatory coming apart and going back together, just takes some patients and a good afternoon and working at it, but the outcome was more than worth it to me to swap the fairing mounts.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
The Matazu lower fairings are the same height as the HD are. These lowers are for batwing bikes and they will work on 2010 and later RG's if the fairing cap is trimmed. To make them work on the 2009 and earlier RG's you need to trim the cap and raise the upper fairing using the 2010 RG fairing mounts.
You would have to raise the upper fairing even if you used HD lower fairings, but if you purchased the 2010 and later HD lower fairings you wouldn't need to trim the cap.
It really isn't too expensive to raise the upper and it isn't that difficult and IMO it is worth the money and the effort, I raised the upper on my 08 RG and installed the 2010 HD vented fairing lowers and put speakers in and I am very happy with the results.

Reactions: turbochrisb

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Good info. Surprisingly in all the threads I've read about installing lowers on glides, trimming the caps etc.....I've NEVER heard this addressed and didn't know you have to swap mounts and that if you DID....you didn't need to trim the caps.

Thanks!

The Matazu lower fairings are the same height as the HD are. These lowers are for batwing bikes and they will work on 2010 and later RG's if the fairing cap is trimmed. To make them work on the 2009 and earlier RG's you need to trim the cap and raise the upper fairing using the 2010 RG fairing mounts.
You would have to raise the upper fairing even if you used HD lower fairings, but if you purchased the 2010 and later HD lower fairings you wouldn't need to trim the cap.
It really isn't too expensive to raise the upper and it isn't that difficult and IMO it is worth the money and the effort, I raised the upper on my 08 RG and installed the 2010 HD vented fairing lowers and put speakers in and I am very happy with the results.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
Good info. Surprisingly in all the threads I've read about installing lowers on glides, trimming the caps etc.....I've NEVER heard this addressed and didn't know you have to swap mounts and that if you DID....you didn't need to trim the caps.

Thanks!
Remember that you don't need to trim the caps on the 2010 and later HD fairing lowers the earlier fairing lowers need the caps trimmed.

Reactions: turbochrisb

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Remember that you don't need to trim the caps on the 2010 and later HD fairing lowers the earlier fairing lowers need the caps trimmed.

So I have to trim the caps AND raise the fairing.....got it!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
It really isn't too expensive to raise the upper and it isn't that difficult and IMO it is worth the money and the effort, I raised the upper on my 08 RG and installed the 2010 HD vented fairing lowers and put speakers in and I am very happy with the results.[/QU

I read on here that, 2009 RG all that is needed for vented lowers to fit is the cap trimmed. Is this incorrect?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where did you source the brackets? I found a set of outside brackets on ebay for $90. Can't find an stock 2010 inner bracket, just custom adjustable brackets for $250-$300.:surprise: For that price I will modify mine myself.
One other question I have is does this affect handling and will it cause interference between the fairing and stock handlebars? It appears the lift will be around 3".

·
Registered
177 Posts
I read on here that, 2009 RG all that is needed for vented lowers to fit is the cap trimmed. Is this incorrect?
Yes, your incorrect. You will have to purchase the 2010+ inner fairing mount and supports. I'm in the same boat. I'm going to purchase the parts shortly and install when I have the inner fairing off to paint.

-G

·
Registered
177 Posts
Where did you source the brackets? I found a set of outside brackets on ebay for $90. Can't find an stock 2010 inner bracket, just custom adjustable brackets for $250-$300.:surprise: For that price I will modify mine myself.
One other question I have is does this affect handling and will it cause interference between the fairing and stock handlebars? It appears the lift will be around 3".
Check at your dealer. They have the mounts for $80.

-G

·
Registered
177 Posts
This is the part number 58530-10. It's $66 from Boardtracker HD.

-G

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
I purchased the Matuza lowers on my 2015 RGS and all I had to do was trim the top cap.
I posted on an earlier thread on how I went about it.
It was a 10 minute mod at best to trim both caps.
They were a little tricky to install on the right side but I got it done without having to adjust or having to purchase additional different fairing brackets.
I have had them on my bike for a good year and a half and they are still doing great.
A very simple mod with great results for sure.
Swomack

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
The HD is the best source for these brackets and I got mine from Pc Pain (Jon) @ Horny toad HD and if you call and tell him you're a forum member you will get the forum discount.
The 2010 brackets raise the upper fairing about 1 7/8 of a inch and the outer brackets are taller and have a curved to accommodate the 2010 and later HD vented fairing cap. If you go with aftermarket fairing lowers you may have to trim the fairing cap.
Raising the upper fairing has no affect on how the bike handles and it doesn't interfere with the handlebars in any way.

Reactions: Free Willie
1 - 20 of 22 Posts