Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in April or may I installed 4 6.5 jl audio speakers 2 in each bag. I also installed 4... 6.5s in the dash as well as tweeters in 2 Guage holes and hertz filler speakers just behind the lights. While the system is very loud and clear. At 90mph down the highway it's crisp and clear love my JLs. Maybe some of you speaker heads will know is there enough breathing room to add a 6x9 speaker also in the bag or another 6.5? I have the stock bags and the prior ones are installed in the Lower portion of the bag. They are in 2012 road glide

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
A pair of high quality 6x9 in each bag will set it off but one in each bag will sounds good as well. The speaker's specs and amp pushing it will be the determine factor on how good they really sound. JMO

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have one set of Pioneer 6x9 in each lid, Sounds Fantastic to me! I thought about adding another set but I always wondered what the Structural integrity of the lids would be with the weight of those Pioneer Magnets- Them suckers are heavy,,Besides would it really make that much of a difference?? I"ll stick with what I got.......................For now:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
So in April or may I installed 4 6.5 jl audio speakers 2 in each bag. I also installed 4... 6.5s in the dash as well as tweeters in 2 Guage holes and hertz filler speakers just behind the lights. While the system is very loud and clear. At 90mph down the highway it's crisp and clear love my JLs. Maybe some of you speaker heads will know is there enough breathing room to add a 6x9 speaker also in the bag or another 6.5? I have the stock bags and the prior ones are installed in the Lower portion of the bag. They are in 2012 road glide
Have pics of speakers installed?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Don't really like the speakers in the lid. Like them in the bag so you can't really see them. Wondering if there is enough breathing room for me to add 1 or possibly 2 6x9's in the bags with my JL's. I've just added 2 more 6.5 JL's to my lowers but haven't put them on since it's still 95+ everyday here in texas. Love the loud crisp clear sound i get from the system just want a little more bass. But i can't speak highly enough about the clarity of these JL's.

·
Registered
422 Posts
That's a lot of sound, I could put speakers in the bag they are too full of riding gear

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
we usually have someone in truck pulling triailer behind us when we travel in case someone bike acts up and to haul all the gear. We also use travel pack for stoarge when going on long trips..

·
Registered
264 Posts
My question is this....what are you trying to accomplish by adding so many speakers? There is nothing that you cant do with a really good quality of speakers/amps compared to all of these speakers you plan on adding.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I started off running 4 PBR 300x4 with tweeters in all 4 gauge holes 2 6x9's in each lid and 4 Jlw3 6"subs in each bag. Along with the 6 1/2 in the stock location. I did all that for the local show scene and bar hopping. It was total over kill but it was fun to pull off the build. I've since downgraded

·
Registered
264 Posts
OP never mentioned an amp. Curious as to what is pushing all of those speakers. Im at 8 speakers right now....looking to add two more kappas and then im done. But I also have two more channels open on my second amp. OP....what are you using for an amp??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea i have 2 Jl audio 4x400 amps.. one in bag and the other in the dash wall also...

Not trying to accomplish anything just what i like.. Same reason we change bars, and levers and foot control ect. You make the bike yours. I like music.. The JL's sound gread very clean and crisp no distortion even at higher volumes. Can hear it very clearly at highway speeds. Just want a little mroe low end so the over all quality better.

·
Registered
264 Posts
yea i have 2 Jl audio 4x400 amps.. one in bag and the other in the dash wall also...

Not trying to accomplish anything just what i like.. Same reason we change bars, and levers and foot control ect. You make the bike yours. I like music.. The JL's sound gread very clean and crisp no distortion even at higher volumes. Can hear it very clearly at highway speeds. Just want a little mroe low end so the over all quality better.
I get it....you like what you like...but you're sending 800 watts MAX to about a million speakers. Then you are looking to add more. Well, here's a thought...how about you get MORE watts out of LESS amount of more efficient speakers. I have a total of 8 speakers on my bike (soon to be 10) and they all compliment each other well. I have one pair of gauge tweeters, one pair of 6.5 infinity kappas, and two pair of pioneer 6x9s in my bag. I have been through the rockford amps, the jl xd400 amps, arc audio amps, and finally settled on the soundstream amps.

Currently, each one of the kappas are getting 225 watts each (450 total to front two 6.5s), and the pioneers are getting 150 watts each (total of 600 watts). In the next week or so, I will be changing out my two channel soundstream to the same 4 channel model that I have now (tn4.900d) and each 6x9 will be getting 225 watts each (for total of 900 watts) and that will be paired up with the additional pair of kappa 6.5s that will be plug into the remaining two channels on the other tn4.900d (for a total of 900 to the front 4 speakers).

My final product will be 10 speakers (4 each kappas and 4 each pioneers) through two amps for a total of 1800 watts of power (plus the 20 watts or so to each tweeter from the head unit). Even with the 8 speakers I have now, I have yet to be outdone at ANY bar/bike night I have been to. I was just saying...its not always about the sheer amount of speakers and amps...but more about setting up the correct amount of speakers and amps.

Right now, you are trying to get more bass from your bike but dont want to give the speakers enough air to do their job. Two of the correct 6x9s in each bag, powered by the correct amp (something a little stronger than the 75 watts per channel of the JL amp) will provide you with plenty of bass. But the way you have it set up now with all of those speakers in one bag, im surprised you havent blown one or that you are getting any bass at all. Looks to me like you may have to start back from scratch and redo your system and set it up properly. At least by what you are saying, I cant wrap my head around how to make that setup work properly...but I can tell you to start by ditching the JL audio amps. They're very efficient....but leave a lot on the table when it comes to power. Good luck in whatever you decide and I hope you get it figured out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts