Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I replaced my air temp gauge with an oil temp gauge over the winter, in some traffic and only 60*F outside, the oil temp gauge is reading up to 230*F until I get moving again, just curious how high the oil temp can get before it starts to breakdown or the motor can see damage?

I am running lowers but with the vents open, these will come off once the weather improves.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I installed a HD oil temp gauge on my 2007 RG (without lowers). It has had a HD oil cooler since it was new. My indicated oil temperature on the road indicates around 180 degrees and will increase to 220 - 230 degrees in city traffic on hot days when the bike sits in traffic. The temperature reading is taken from the coolest part of the oil pan, being in the front of the oil pan and in direct air flow. It appears the oil temp in the rear of the pan is 10 - 15 degrees warmer. I use Mobil 1 20w-50 V-Twin synthetic. I would feel safe if the oil temperature approached the 300 degree level, although it never comes close to that temperature. Petroleum base oils can approach the 250 degree range. These temperatures are based on the published oil specs. I live in southern Minnesota and the average temps are cooler than many parts of the country (especially this year!).

BART

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Supposedly, 230 is the "design" temperature, and is indeed the temp that i see most often in normal open road type riding in normal temps of 70-80*, and it can take 20-30 miles to get there from a cold start. Obviously you will see highee temps in traffic and in higher outside temps. 250 is not terribly unusual. Todays synthetic oils can run to 300" pretty safely.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Your twinkie uses diesel grade oil. The dino versions are good to about 330* and the synthic is good for about 350*. The oil in your engine will never see either.

In 100*-110* summertime temps its perfectly normal for your engines oil to get upwards of 280*+. Don't panic, its designed that way. I always tell people that one of the worst things to get for their bike is an oil temp gauge because all you will do is stare at it and freak out everytime the temp gets higher then what you think it should.

I'm not saying this because I have over 30 years in the maintenance field.
I'm saying it because I slept in a Holliday Inn last night.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
It was 95 degrees last Saturday when I was cruising across the desert doing 75 t0 80 mph on I40 and I saw oil temps up to 250. Mobil 1 20/50 V-Twin oil in my bike.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
"I'm not saying this because I have over 30 years in the maintenance field.
I'm saying it because I slept in a Holliday Inn last night."

That was pretty funny, thanks for the laugh tmd. :)

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
The handy part is that about the time the oil temp gets to damaging levels, your ass is gonna be uncomfortable enough to be off that bike anyway. It's called self-preservation.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info guy's, just wanted to get a baseline so I am NOT worrying about oil temps nor would I need to spend money at a Holliday inn :D

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Confirming my thesis that you only worry about things for which you have gauges. Add a gauge, add a worry.
A lot of truth about this statement. I'd still rather have the oil temp gauge than the useless Ambient air temp gauge.

I don't fully trust the readings I get from these gauges anyway. For example, my volt gauge reads 1.5 volts higher than the actual. I just use them to see if something is unusual from where they normally are, not the actual reading.

·
Registered
214 Posts
No gauge for me either. Figure by the time the gauge tells me that the oil temp is to hot, the cylinders and rings are already saying its way to hot, I quit!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts