Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was installing new plug wires and plugs. And, for easier access I dropped the horn bracket to install the new zip ties when I found this........

Apparently, the wires that go to the horn were rubbing against the black connector and, had been maybe sence it was new. Harley, from the factory did install a sleeve for protection but that had worn through.

I installed 10mil. tape then wraped it with electrical tape. I'm sure it will be fine for now but what do you think? Should I take the bike into Harley and have them rework the wiring or leave as is?? I know the Motor Company will want 2hrs. labor at $105.00 per hour.

Your Thoughts.

Nevadasun

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
They wouldn't do any better....maybe splicing tape streached (1/3) to activate the adhesive and moisture tight:) Similar to my front plug wire against the fuel line hose connector for who knows for how long

Attachments

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
Nice find. Your fix is golden. Leave it alone.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Add a tie wrap (zip tie) over the end of the electrical tape so it won't unwrap after heat hits it.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I bet it's fine as is. You could also slit a piece of fuel line and put it over the wires. They make pre-slit corrigated stuff for that purpose.

·
Super Moderator
12,753 Posts
I wouldn't take it to the dealer, you put more time and thought into it than they would, unless you just want to throw $$$ at them.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Thanks for the info; I'll check mine. Good tape to use is 3M Scotch self-vulcanising tape cures into a solid lump of rubber. About 30 minutes at engine normal operating temp.:)

·
Registered
451 Posts
I bet it's fine as is. You could also slit a piece of fuel line and put it over the wires. They make pre-slit corrigated stuff for that purpose.

Agree with Bucketlisthd.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts