Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how does one measure the cam lift when it is in the engine,without removing pushrods i am gonna guess a dial indicator onto of the rocker arm directly above the pushrod,then multiply that by the rocker ratio? any help would be greatly appreciated,thanks

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
how does one measure the cam lift when it is in the engine,without removing pushrods i am gonna guess a dial indicator onto of the rocker arm directly above the pushrod,then multiply that by the rocker ratio? any help would be greatly appreciated,thanks
What cam/lift do you suspect you have?
Scott

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ill put it this way,i did a build and after having it dyno tuned there is a large difference in advertised power to real life power,the supplier now tells me the cam could have been mislabeled and i got the wrong one,so long story short i want to find the easiest way to measure lift,if pulling the prods and measuring the lift of the lifter i will do that,but was hoping i could measure rocker just for conveinyance.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Advertised total lift would be measured at the valve.

If you have the lobe specs, then you can check maximum lift at the tappet.

If the motor is in the frame, checking the tappet would be the easy one. A little math would give you advertised lift.

If you don't have a dial indicator, you could do it with a vainer caliper. Wouldn't be quite as accurate, but should be close enough to verify the lift is as advertised.

If you want to check duration or valve timing, you're opening it up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts