Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I sure hope most of you have some terrific plans for the long Memorial Day weekend. No matter how you spend your weekend - fishing, riding, family time by the pool, a mini-vacation or staycation, whatever it is, please don't forget the reason we have this Holiday - to honor our veterans who made the ultimate sacrifice and for those who are still MIA. If you get a chance, take in a local parade or perhaps a ceremony at a local military installation or National Cemetery.

Although I had a college differment and didn't serve, my dad served in both WW2 and the Korean War. I have total respect for those brave men and women who laid everything on the line to serve our country. Sandy and I got out of the house (earlier than normal for a Saturday) this morning so we could ride to the ceremony at the Sarasota National Cemetery a little over an hour's ride north of us. These cemetery ceremonies are heartfelt, and very emotional. A special wreath representing all MIAs was presented to the sister and the daughter of a soldier who went MIA in 1951 in Korea. This man's remains were among the boxes of remains that were shipped back to the US last year as a result of Trump's negotiations with NoKo. His family finally got the closure they so badly wanted/needed after their family suffered for over 60 years, knowing only that he was "missing and presumed dead". I about 'lost it' when this story was told and the wreath presented to them and all the "Gold Star" families that were present. If you get a chance you might think about riding to a National Cemetery near you to take in a ceremony - most are scheduled for Sunday or Monday and most only last 60-90 minutes.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I sure hope most of you have some terrific plans for the long Memorial Day weekend. No matter how you spend your weekend - fishing, riding, family time by the pool, a mini-vacation or staycation, whatever it is, please don't forget the reason we have this Holiday - to honor our veterans who made the ultimate sacrifice and for those who are still MIA. If you get a chance take in a local parade, or perhaps a ceremony at a local military installation or National Cemetery.

Although I had a college differment and didn't serve, my dad served in both WW2 and the Korean War. I have total respect for those brave men and women who laid everything on the line to serve our country. Sandy and I got out of the house (earlier than normal for a Saturday) this morning so we could ride to the ceremony at the Sarasota National Cemetery a little over an hour's ride north of us. These cemetery ceremonies are heartfelt, and very emotional. A special wreath representing all MIAs was presented to the sister and the daughter of a soldier who went MIA in 1951 in Korea. This man's remains were among the boxes of remains that were shipped back to the US last year as a result of Trump's negotiations with NoKo. His family finally got the closure they so badly wanted/needed after their family suffered for over 60 years, knowing only that he was "missing and presumed dead". I about 'lost it' when this story was told and the wreath presented to them and all the "Gold Star" families that were present. If you get a chance you might think about riding to a National Cemetery near you to take in a ceremony - most are scheduled for Sunday or Monday and most only last 60-90 minutes.

Amen brother!!!
My tribute to all fallen soldiers and all serving this great country of Amerika!!! Salute!!
Have a safe riding memorial day! You cool kids!

Attachments

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Amen brother!!!
My tribute to all fallen soldiers and all serving this great country of Amerika!!! Salute!!
Have a safe riding memorial day! You cool kids!
Very nice .... and in view year round, not just a day.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I sure hope most of you have some terrific plans for the long Memorial Day weekend. No matter how you spend your weekend - fishing, riding, family time by the pool, a mini-vacation or staycation, whatever it is, please don't forget the reason we have this Holiday - to honor our veterans who made the ultimate sacrifice and for those who are still MIA. If you get a chance, take in a local parade or perhaps a ceremony at a local military installation or National Cemetery.

I found this article quite moving:

Soldier seen placing flag at Tomb of Unknown Soldier during torrential rain - Story | WOFL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts