Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys after lots of deliberation I decided on the Memphis Audio SA 2.100 Amplifier and the Focals 165 - AC speakers. Got my wire and adapter rings and will be pulling the fairing this morning and doing the install. Later will be adding another pair of the Focals in my lowers when I get the CVO speaker plates painted. Will take some step by step pics while doing the install. Even though I've done stereo work in vehicles for over 25 years professionally at one point, this should be a pretty straightforward process. Even someone with little background that can turn a screwdriver should be able to install this. Updates coming soon

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ok guys after lots of deliberation I decided on the Memphis Audio SA 2.100 Amplifier and the Focals 165 - AC speakers. Got my wire and adapter rings and will be pulling the fairing this morning and doing the install. Later will be adding another pair of the Focals in my lowers when I get the CVO speaker plates painted. Will take some step by step pics while doing the install. Even though I've done stereo work in vehicles for over 25 years professionally at one point, this should be a pretty straightforward process. Even someone with little background that can turn a screwdriver should be able to install this. Updates coming soon
Memphis is what I have in my Expedition. My PRD-1000.1 is still going strong after 7yrs. Good Stuff...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok guys sorry for the delay but got finished up Sunday and just had to ride the bike. While I was in the fairing I went ahead and wired in a 2.1amp direct wire in USB port for my phone and wired it up for constant 12 volts so phone would charge while bike is turned off. Also did the DIY Headlight Halo project as well. I also moved my phone mount from the handlebar with a ram mount X grip to a Custom made bracket like the Iron Aces mount. Everything I used came from the local audio shop, autozone, and Home Depot. I went with the Memphis SA 2.100 for its capabilities of running 2 ohm stable for when I add the speakers in my lowers. I am running the Focals AC-165 which is the next step up from the CA model. All the wiring and adapters also came from the local shop and the owner beat every online price I could find.
The LEDs for the Halo's and the USB port and needed connectors came from Autozone along with some blue light bulbs for my gauges. They are not very bright so will be changing them to some LEDs also when I pull the fairing back off.
For the phone mount I used a piece of aluminum c channel from the metal project section at Home Depot. It is 1/2" X 3/4" along with some spacers to keep it from collapsing when I tightened the bolts with some 8-32 stainless bolts with nylon lockouts and used my Otter Box holster with the belt clip broke off. Phone mount was easy to fab ad long as you have the ability and basic tools. And fairly cheap too.
I will be pulling my fairing off again next week when we do my friends bike with the same setup and will be taking the crimp connectors off and soldiering all connections then as I was out of town and did not have access to my stuff at home. All in all it was a easy install and with everything I did only took around 4 hours.
Audio setup sounds pretty good but need to do some adjusting on the gain levels some more. Really Love the phone where it is mounted now better than before and also the charging port will come in handy with the higher output for when I'm running Pandora or any of the music programs at the same time I am running my map program which is a hog for battery power.
Oh and while I was at it I had my stock seat cut down with memory foam added and a custom cover made for it too.
Will be adding the pics I guess 2 at a time...LoL

Keep the tires on the pavement guys and safe riding

Attachments

·
Registered
490 Posts
Pics are nice! Keep em coming! Seems everybody is wanting to upgrade fairing speakers, add lower speakers and an amp, and debating head unit upgrade! haha.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys sorry for the delay. Been a busy couple weeks. Just put the same setup in a friend's bike this past Tuesday. We got the crossover setup right and all I can say is WOW!!! I can't wait to add my 6 1/2's in my lowers and get those tied in. Great sound quality and realized that most of the guys I have seen go with the lower grade Focals but decided to go ahead and spend the extra little bit and upgrade. Amp is doing great so far so only time will tell if it will hold up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice video BUT not an apples to apples comparison. A couple differences would be that sound quality from the Focals would be better being they are of coaxial design meaning they have a tweeter mounted compared to just a single full range speaker. Another difference is they are comparing 4 ohm Focals to 2 ohm J & M speakers. J & M specs show their amps are rated at 125 per channel at 2 ohm so that should prob put it around 75-80 watts a channel running the Focals on the same amp. Which would make a considerable difference in decibel levels between the two.
The Memphis Audio SA 2.100 is 100 watts per channel at 4 ohms and 150 watts per channel at 2 ohms. Their SA 4.50 4 channel is 50 watts per channel at 4 ohms and 75 watts per channel at 2 ohms.

·
JMJOHN
1,002 Posts
NS ,,,,,,,,,

those were the $700.00 FOCALs with the high-dollar tweeter stem in the middle ,,,,, and "I PERSONALLY" adjusted the J&M amplifier gains UP when testing the FOCALs to make up for the change in impedance from the 2-ohm J&Ms ,,,,,,, so that it was apples to apples ,,,,

also ,,,, significantly LESS bass response with the $700 FOCALs compared to the 7.25" ROKKER XT/XX J&M speakers ,,,,,,

this is the real deal, not something I fabricated or made up for the video ,,,,

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
JMJohn, I would be more than happy to try out one of your setups. I competed in "Crank it Up's" competitions many years ago and worked in the industry for a time as well. Even won some competitions as well as qualified for U.S.A.C Nationals one year. I will be glad to try your equipment and I'm sure you would be more than happy for me to say that you turned a customer away from the competition and liked your equipment so much better that I sent my stuff I just bought to you as a trophy. So just box up a set of those 7 1/4"s, adapter rings, and an amp and I will install them and see. You may turn me and get a set of Focals with a Memphis Audio Amp to put on your wall. Inbox me and I can give you my address.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I am with John. Better bass with the J&M. I had Focals. Guy I know just put the top of the line focals in his fairing and lowers. Spent a decent chunk on those sets of K2s. And he bitches about no bass. My Focals were the 600.00 variety. I like the J&M better. My bro insists the focals were better. Can't please everyone.

NS- you can't be serious with your offer? I think John passed puberty a while ago so I don't think your triple dog dare will amount to much. ?Impressive resume too. So great it renders other opinions moot. That's cool. Rarified air. ?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Everyone is entitled to their opinion I completely agree and with that said I don't mind opinions at all. My offer does stand and I was very serious. If it does indeed sound that much better and withstands the rigors of the road, I would be the first one to promote and defend their product to each and everyone out there. I simply posted my setup and opinion as information and DIY for anyone out there thinking about putting a system on their bike. Wasn't meant to discredit anyone else's equipment.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts