Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Spring planning has started...

This would be a weekend run to Memphis for BBQ. We do not have a date set, so you cannot put this on the calendar yet.

The plan would be, so far, show up Friday Night in Memphis. Hotel TBD. Spend Saturday eating BBQ. Need to know who has the best Bacon in town for breakfast. Find a BBQ joint for Lunch and Dinner. Then, on Sunday, we need someone to figure out a great ride from Memphis to Paducah (no slabs), stopping at 4 Rivers HD, then off north/south/east/west towards home, or wherever!

I posted a possibility for a Saturday ride that goes south to Vicksburg. Nothing final on that, or for lunch either so if you have ideas. Nobody says we all have to go on the same ride.

EDIT: Adding the plans we have so far...

Date: Weekend of April 25th

Location: On your own for hotel right now. Recommend downtown as many folks want to hit Beale St. Saturday night, and do not want to get arrested riding back after a bit of tippling.

Friday, 4/25
Everyone arrives whenever they arrive. Meet up for Dinner at Dyer's Burgers on Beale St. whenever you can. No set time, just go, enjoy, and see who's there.

For Saturday, 4/26
Breakfast: Brother Junipers. 7:00
am. We need to get there as early as possible, they do not take reservations but they do have a big (24 person) table we may get if we can.

After Breakfast Meetup
We will meet up at 9:00 on Beale Street, somewhere, just go there. If you cannot find the rest, then maybe you should not be riding :rolleyes:

We will pull out for Oxford at 9:30. Here is a revised route.

Lunch: Run down to the Double Decker Arts Festival in Oxford, MS for lunch, live music and some fun. There will be a planned run there off the Interstate, but you are free to get there any way you like.

After Lunch will be free time. Feel free to organize a ride. Just be sure you are at Central BBQ by 7:00 pm.

Dinner: Central BBQ on Summer Ave. Time is 7:00 PM. We will have a Party Room with seating for 80. Any more than that, they go outside in the Parking Lot :eek:

Sunday, 4/27
Breakfast: TBD
After breakfast, everyone is headed home in whatever direction suits them.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Sounds good to me. How about early May, maybe even the first weekend? Paducah huh, soooo you're thinkin' a weekend of BBQ topped off with a ride to Pattys for a pork chop and some Sawdust pie :D

Not sure of the ride back north. It depends on how long you wanna take. By Sunday people will be wanting to get home but the Trace is a nice ride through Land Between the Lakes.

http://www.explorekentuckylake.com/lakesarea/attractions/scenicdrives-trace.htm

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like it will be Brother Juniper's for Breakfast.

That's one down. Need to figure out where to go for Lunch and Dinner in Memphis. The only BBQ I have had there was many, many years ago at the Pig and Whistle. I think this is the place. It looks familar, but it has been a while.

I like Jim's ride between the lakes.

·
Super Moderator
5,856 Posts
After breakfast, we can head here for dessert or a midnight snack since they are open 24 hrs...lol BACON DONUTS at Gibson’s Donuts.

Sure, you’re in Memphis primarily to gorge on meat. But you’d be a fool to miss out on this all-American donut shop. The cultish destination, located about 20 minutes out of town by car, is a favorite hangout for University of Memphis students looking for some brain food—it’s open 24 hours a day, and when the next day’s product comes out each night at 11pm, all the old donuts sell for just $1.40 per half-dozen. While you’ll find popular nouveau donuts like maple-bacon, the best are the throwbacks—cakey old-fashioneds, cruellers, éclairs, and the like.

Order this: The New Orleans buttermilk drop is a local classic. It’s more like a ball of Southern white cake than a donut, coated in a addictive buttermilk icing. 760 Mount Moriah Rd at S Mendenhall Rd, East Memphis, TN (901-682-8200)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Mr. Old Nerd Guy,
Are you wanting to stay downtown? If so the Westin is probably the best bet. Walking distance to everywhere cool and still shiny new. There are several good BBQ places down town but, Central BBQ and Leonard's are out east. Memphis to Paducah will be a tuff one to find a fun version of b/c there's mostly farm land between the two. I'll ask around and see if anyone knows a nice route. Hit me up if you want to know anything.
Ride safe

·
Registered
52 Posts
Double J Smokehouse on G.E. Patterson St.,and Blues City Cafe on Beal St. is the best in Memphis. If you want tourist BBQ then go to Charles Vergos Rendezvous (Great atmosphere, food is ok)

·
Super Moderator
10,202 Posts
go on down to Patti's :D

I'm planning a ride to Patti's around March or April I'm thinking :cool:

Will keep everyone posted on that

March will be two years since I was there last :eek:

Usually go at least once a year

JtB

·
Super Moderator
1,794 Posts
-Flight to St Louis from Calgary through Chicago $689 return
-3 day bike Rental $600 give or take
-hotels for 3 days $450
-gas, t-shirts, bbq and trinkets for the folks at home $300.

-maple-bacon donuts; priceless:D

DON'T TEMPT ME

(need a good explanation for the taxman to write off this trip as a business expense)

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
-Flight to St Louis from Calgary through Chicago $689 return
-3 day bike Rental $600 give or take
-hotels for 3 days $450
-gas, t-shirts, bbq and trinkets for the folks at home $300.

-maple-bacon donuts; priceless:D

DON'T TEMPT ME

(need a good explanation for the taxman to write off this trip as a business expense)

Calgaryglide
You got a different taxman than we have, so you are on your own.

Mr. Old Nerd Guy,
Are you wanting to stay downtown? If so the Westin is probably the best bet. Walking distance to everywhere cool and still shiny new. There are several good BBQ places down town but, Central BBQ and Leonard's are out east. Memphis to Paducah will be a tuff one to find a fun version of b/c there's mostly farm land between the two. I'll ask around and see if anyone knows a nice route. Hit me up if you want to know anything.
Ride safe

What's with this Mr. shit??? Did someone flip the polite switch on the forum?

JK, welcome. Westin may be a bit pricey for this crowd. It'll depend on where we decide to go.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i thought you had to be nice to the admins? If this thing goes down in Memphis first rounds on me. Lookin forward to meeting some of you guys that answer my stupid questions.

·
Super Moderator
5,856 Posts
i thought you had to be nice to the admins? If this thing goes down in Memphis first rounds on me. Lookin forward to meeting some of you guys that answer my stupid questions.
First round of ribs is on you or first round of bacon donuts? Either way, IM IN! :D

·
Registered
1,227 Posts

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
You know the arkieglides are gonna do whatever we can to get in on this. For you Harley shop junkies there is Bumpus HD on Whitten Rd., Bumpus HD at Collierville, and Southern Thunder HD at Horn Lake, MS that are full sales/service dealerships, and Graceland HD that has the greatest Elvis/HD clothes and accessories shop. This is gonna be great!!!!!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Sounds like a good ride and time. I'm in depending on the final dates.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, here are some things that have been decided.

Date: Weekend of April 25th

HOG Rate is $76.49 for a single King (they have smoking and non-smoking rooms, no pets). It ls located south of town, near the intersection of I-55, I-69 (Is that a Highway Number, or a statement? :rolleyes:) and I-240, close to Graceland. There are a number of hotels in that area so make your choice.

The only meal venue we have, so far, is Breakfast at Brother Juniper's, which is about 7 miles from the hotel, per Google.

Friday, 4/25
Everyone arrives whenever they can.

For Saturday, 4/26
Breakfast: Brother Junipers. 7:30 am
Lunch: TBD. Perhaps a BBQ Shack joint?
Dinner: TBD A Sit down joint?
I figure after Dinner, Beale Street is the place to be

Sunday, 4/27
Breakfast: TBD
After breakfast, everyone is headed home in whatever direction suits them. I am thinking of riding up between the lakes to 4 Rivers HD in Paducah, then up to St. Louis on some road.

Of course, schedules are always in flux, but people need dates to plan, so here you go.

1 - 20 of 298 Posts