Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my klock werks 8" flared windshield with a new Memphis Shades 8.5" flared windshield because the klock werks was cracked around a few of the mounting holes. I wound up using new well nuts from home depot which I like a little more than the stock HD nuts. I will say I'm much happier with Memphis shade as it pushes the wind over my glasses as opposed to directly at my glasses like the klock werks. The MS is swept further back than the KW and it interferes with the bars if I turn them lock to lock which may be a problem for me. I adjusted the bars back slightly to where they are still in a comfortable position for me but it's not enough to keep them from hit the windshield. I have a new seat that's on order which will lower me about an inch so maybe that will allow me to move the bars a little more but unfortunately the seat is on backorder until mid December so I wont know until then. I may need to get the 6.5" shield in order to keep the bars away from it. Anyway, for the time being I'll wait as I'm not riding much more because of the weather. We shall see but I am liking the Memphis Shade shield

Reactions: Mike U

·
Registered
66 Posts
It appears Klockwerks makes a 9", not an 8" - is that what you had? Still have it? I am starting to look for a few to try.

roadglidewindshelds2018_3.jpg

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It appears Klockwerks makes a 9", not an 8" - is that what you had? Still have it? I am starting to look for a few to try.

View attachment 420159
I do still have it but it fits 13 and older bikes. Plus it's got a few cracks around the mounting holes

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Can you get a good side view pix of the MS from the side on your bike and post it in here please? I'm looking to replace the stock wind splitter on my '12 and that's one I think I can live with.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've had two separate KW shields that I was not happy with. The wind protection was null due to the side sweeping air. That includes my 2017 RG, tried the KW shield and was again disappointed. Their shields are really thin too. I do like the company and respect them. Just had the same experience.

I now have a Memphis Shades shield as well, only in 6.5" height. Love it. The fitment and quality was a little higher on the Freedom Shield that I had previously, polished edges, zero distortion and crazy good fitment. I only took it off due to the fact I dropped my bike in my driveway and unfortunately; the Freedom Shield was the sacrificial part. I tried the MS and I really do like it close to as much and it does look better. The fitment is ever so slightly off in the front but it doesn't bother me or the function.

That recurve on the MS shield is really good at keeping bugs off me as well. Good report on your 8.5". I'm thinking of trying their 8.5" when out for long touring days.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Same boat for me. KW windshield cracked at a mounting point. I guess it served me well, had it for at least 6 years but i'll be looking for something different as well. Possibly the mephis as I think its one of the better looking options.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am an ex KW user too. Now have 6” MS & think it’s much better. KW is in my attic where it belongs.

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine is a 2011 but it has the newer fairing.
Yeah it wont fit the newer fairing. You'll need to buy one specifically for the Rushmore bikes

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you get a good side view pix of the MS from the side on your bike and post it in here please? I'm looking to replace the stock wind splitter on my '12 and that's one I think I can live with.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
You best bet would be to get on their website. They have multiple pictures of their shields from different positions. I don't believe I have lway to post pictures here

·
Registered
38 Posts
KW replaced mine no questions asked when it cracked around the screw mounts. When I first contacted them about the issue, I explained that I believe the issue was a cold weather problem where I went for a ride on a extremely cold day after taking bike out of a heated garage. They did recommend using a trim to prevent pressure points directly on the new replacement. I was happy with the customer service.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
You best bet would be to get on their website. They have multiple pictures of their shields from different positions. I don't believe I have lway to post pictures here
Ok. Thanks. I sent them an email mail months ago and never got a response back from them. Makes me a little skittish about dealing with them. What color tint did you go with for yours?

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I had been running the 8.5" Memphis Shades and I decided to get a KW 12" Pro Touring. Ran that for a while and it was pretty good but I wasn't completely happy. I decided to clear out the garage and sell some stuff so I decided to try the MS again to see which shield I wanted to keep. Well I feel the 8.5" MS is slightly better than the 12" KW PT. The MS shield is thicker material much like a freedom shield plus I think the MS looks much better on the bike. Because the way the MS sweeps back and then up it gives the look of a shorter shield with the same protection as other manufacturers taller shields.

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok. Thanks. I sent them an email mail months ago and never got a response back from them. Makes me a little skittish about dealing with them. What color tint did you go with for yours?
I got the dark smoke.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Happy with 8.5 on my '19 RGS. I'm 6'4" and it shoots air up and over great. My bars also touch slightly lock to lock but has not been an issue. I have 12" apes.

Reactions: laxinharley

·
Registered
25 Posts
I kind of wondered about the cracks at the mounting holes. I just bought a 2020 RGL, and it comes with metal trim strips to secure the windshield down, which to me makes sense to spread the load over the entire area not just the bolt hole. I noticed on the Road Glides and RGS they do not. I would definitely add a trim strip to whatever windshield you choose to go with, I bet it will help with that issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've used Memphis Shades for over 20 years on multiple motorcycles. At 6ft tall the MS 10" Spoiler windshield is perfect on my new 2020 RG Special, it deflects the wind over my head and it's low enough not to be obstructive to my view. It is well made and thick enough not to flex at higher speeds 🤪 I hope this evaluation helps. Ride fast and wreckless LOL

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have an 8.5" arriving tomorrow. I've been Madstad guy and have one currently on my bike but figured for the cost and the reviews it gets I would at least try something that looks a bit sexier. We will see if it makes the cut.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I have an 8.5" arriving tomorrow. I've been Madstad guy and have one currently on my bike but figured for the cost and the reviews it gets I would at least try something that looks a bit sexier. We will see if it makes the cut.
That's funny because I have been a long time Madstad fan until I got this 18' RGS. I wanted to put one on it right away but I decided I would try regular windshields since this fairing had the vents. The Memphis Shades has been pretty good for wind management and I like the looks. However, I have been thinking of just getting the Madstad anyway because it was that good for me on my last bike. I really miss it on the longer rides and ESPECIALLY when running hard on the slab.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts