Road Glide banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
I have the 6.5” Memphis Shades and am very happy with it, I am 5’ 11”. I used it on a 2,500 mile trip this summer and worked very well.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
That's funny because I have been a long time Madstad fan until I got this 18' RGS. I wanted to put one on it right away but I decided I would try regular windshields since this fairing had the vents. The Memphis Shades has been pretty good for wind management and I like the looks. However, I have been thinking of just getting the Madstad anyway because it was that good for me on my last bike. I really miss it on the longer rides and ESPECIALLY when running hard on the slab.
I often toy with the idea of getting a short, sexy windshield for the summer to replace the Madstad.....Then I go for a ride, realize how well the Madstad works, and realize it wouldn't be fair to y'all for me and my bike to look any sexier.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
I am another devout Madstad user but after reading all the awesome reviews on the Memphis Shades and wanting to change up the look of My 12 Custom I went and purchased a 6.5 Memphis Shades Spoiler.
I'm hoping it lives up to the reviews.
Mike U.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's funny because I have been a long time Madstad fan until I got this 18' RGS. I wanted to put one on it right away but I decided I would try regular windshields since this fairing had the vents. The Memphis Shades has been pretty good for wind management and I like the looks. However, I have been thinking of just getting the Madstad anyway because it was that good for me on my last bike. I really miss it on the longer rides and ESPECIALLY when running hard on the slab.
Yeah it may wind up getting returned but either way it will get the idea to stop rattling around my head.

I am pretty spoiled by the Madstad, ran one for 30k+ on a Honda F6B and immediately bought one when I got my Road Glide.

My search won't go any further than the Memphis Shades. Either it will confirm that the 15+ don't need the Madstad and my bike can look a little sexier, or that I made the right decision in the first place and can rest easy at night.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I ordered 2 from the same ebay seller tonight, a 6.5 MS & 6.5 KW Sport Flare, which will get here about the same day the bike does so I will report back with my impressions. If neither works I will try a Freedom Shield and Clearview next.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I kind of wondered about the cracks at the mounting holes. I just bought a 2020 RGL, and it comes with metal trim strips to secure the windshield down, which to me makes sense to spread the load over the entire area not just the bolt hole. I noticed on the Road Glides and RGS they do not. I would definitely add a trim strip to whatever windshield you choose to go with, I bet it will help with that issue.
Anyone have a part# for the 2020 strip? Might be nice to add...

Just found them: Road Glide Split Windshield Trim - 57400320 | Harley-Davidson USA

·
Registered
59 Posts
W
Yeah it may wind up getting returned but either way it will get the idea to stop rattling around my head.

I am pretty spoiled by the Madstad, ran one for 30k+ on a Honda F6B and immediately bought one when I got my Road Glide.

My search won't go any further than the Memphis Shades. Either it will confirm that the 15+ don't need the Madstad and my bike can look a little sexier, or that I made the right decision in the first place and can rest easy at night.
Well the Memphis Shades arrived today, popped it on and it looks fantastic! Such a great looking shield.

However, after a couple of miles it was apparent to me that it was not going to be the shield for me.

My thoughts are that if I was coming from stock I would probably find it to be a vast improvement, but it doesn't hold a candle to the protection I get from my Madstad.

I should note that I ride with a full face helmet, and almost exclusively run with my helmet shield OPEN. I ran for a few minutes with the shield closed and in that configuration it does perform better (but still not quite to Madstad levels), so I think where the flip on the Memphis 8.5" hits on me is somewhere between the top of my helmet and the visor in the up position.

If anybody in the PNW wants to save a few bucks and needs a Memphis Shades I will have one for sale.

·
Registered
66 Posts
W

Well the Memphis Shades arrived today, popped it on and it looks fantastic! Such a great looking shield.

However, after a couple of miles it was apparent to me that it was not going to be the shield for me.

My thoughts are that if I was coming from stock I would probably find it to be a vast improvement, but it doesn't hold a candle to the protection I get from my Madstad.

I should note that I ride with a full face helmet, and almost exclusively run with my helmet shield OPEN. I ran for a few minutes with the shield closed and in that configuration it does perform better (but still not quite to Madstad levels), so I think where the flip on the Memphis 8.5" hits on me is somewhere between the top of my helmet and the visor in the up position.

If anybody in the PNW wants to save a few bucks and needs a Memphis Shades I will have one for sale.
Do you have a pic of it on your bike?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
W

Sorry to hear that. I love my Memphis Shades 6.5” shield.

Reactions: Mike U

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
How about a pic of that one?

I’m 6’ with a Corbin Solo seat. When I hit the State line I can comfortably were a ball cap with the bill forward up to about 75 - 80 mph. Anything over that and I turn the cap backwards. I ride here in So Cal with a skid lid and the dirty air is just above my head. I will say I tend to slouch or lean back on the backrest on trips.

Reactions: Mike U

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am 6'2" but the seating position/height dictates what windscreen works best. I ordered one of these so I will see how it works for me albeit I will be sitting lower.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I hope it works for you Bob. It’s a well built shield that does what it’s supposed to for me. My Wife has a Madstad on her 2012 and it works as advertised by many members. I just don’t care for the look but I’d run it if necessary.

Reactions: DanHappy and Mike U

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know that will be my problem, finding a windscreen that works well enough to provide some wind protection and look good at the same time! I will post my thoughts after I try them out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If anyone is interested in either a MS Black Opaque 6.5", a KW Black Sport Flare 9", or FS 10" Clear Sport Touring, all for 2015+ RGs, let me know. I plan to try them all and return what I do not want, but if someone here is interested I will make them a good deal.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just replaced my klock werks 8" flared windshield with a new Memphis Shades 8.5" flared windshield because the klock werks was cracked around a few of the mounting holes. I wound up using new well nuts from home depot which I like a little more than the stock HD nuts. I will say I'm much happier with Memphis shade as it pushes the wind over my glasses as opposed to directly at my glasses like the klock werks. The MS is swept further back than the KW and it interferes with the bars if I turn them lock to lock which may be a problem for me. I adjusted the bars back slightly to where they are still in a comfortable position for me but it's not enough to keep them from hit the windshield. I have a new seat that's on order which will lower me about an inch so maybe that will allow me to move the bars a little more but unfortunately the seat is on backorder until mid December so I wont know until then. I may need to get the 6.5" shield in order to keep the bars away from it. Anyway, for the time being I'll wait as I'm not riding much more because of the weather. We shall see but I am liking the Memphis Shade shield
Your new seat changes everything, height wise. Then you can adjust the handlebars.
(Love my Madstad)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just replaced my klock werks 8" flared windshield with a new Memphis Shades 8.5" flared windshield because the klock werks was cracked around a few of the mounting holes. I wound up using new well nuts from home depot which I like a little more than the stock HD nuts. I will say I'm much happier with Memphis shade as it pushes the wind over my glasses as opposed to directly at my glasses like the klock werks. The MS is swept further back than the KW and it interferes with the bars if I turn them lock to lock which may be a problem for me. I adjusted the bars back slightly to where they are still in a comfortable position for me but it's not enough to keep them from hit the windshield. I have a new seat that's on order which will lower me about an inch so maybe that will allow me to move the bars a little more but unfortunately the seat is on backorder until mid December so I wont know until then. I may need to get the 6.5" shield in order to keep the bars away from it. Anyway, for the time being I'll wait as I'm not riding much more because of the weather. We shall see but I am liking the Memphis Shade shield
I have an 8" Windvest that I'm looking to offload if anyone's interested...

[email protected]

21 - 40 of 65 Posts