Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering this jacket and wondering if anyone here as experience with it. It seems to be fairly new with two of the dealers not even knowing it comes in leather. http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/fxrg-switchback-leather-jacket

They have one in a textile material for about half the cost but I am really stuck on leather. Not sure if the FXRG is worth the cost or if I should go with the textile and a separate nice triple vent leather? Either way I need to get some new gear knocked out as one piece racing leathers isn't super suited for my new RG lol...

·
Super Moderator
4,651 Posts
That does appear to be a new jacket. I have been using the full leather FXRG for years. It is worth every penny spent. The 1st one was teaced within the 5 yr warranty due to a failed zipper. The relacement had a lifetime warranty. I'm sure you'll be happy with which ever one you happen to choose.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I haven't seen this new model yet, but the FXRG is by far the best riding gear that I have ever worn in 39 years of Harley riding.

Check out Kutter or PC Pain (here) to see if you can get 20% off...

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I had the Elite Switchback, not the FXRG, and after my arms and chest got soaked from rain coming in through the zippers, I returned it to the dealer and traded up to the FXRG textile jacket. The FXRG jackets are the best riding jackets I own. I have both the Leather model and the Textile version and they are both great. Look at the zippers and make sure they are waterproof before spending this kind of money.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Part of the problem is no one has the thing on the floor. I am relying on pics and scarce information about it. I don't think the zippers are waterproof. My cortech is the same way and relies on an internal zip out liner with a third added under that for warmth. It should be very heavy and bulky with all the liners in as the above mentioned mesh Cortech is the same way.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kutter had it at 719.00 but I am worried it would be a pita if I had to try and return it through them.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I hate to admit this but if online it is 719 vs 795 at the dealership, I would buy at the dealer. I have always received at least 10% off when buying a FXRG product at the local dealerships around here. I like the piece of mind in case there is an issue.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My dealer offers a rewards program that they told me about today after I spent 2k in parts at purchase but either way seems like it's not even 10%.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I realize this is an old thread but maybe this will help someone still looking for leather. If you're buying leather, buy American and go with Fox Creek Leather. Harley's gear is foreign made and the quality just isn't there, compared with Fox Creek. Look at the zippers on the Harley line. Not YKK? Not good. A failed zipper can ruin your trip. If a clothing line doesn't even use YKK zippers, I figure they cut corners other places too. Use Fox Creek Leather plus Montana Pitch Blend mink oil and your leather will last a lifetime. Because Harley Davidson isn't plastered all over the leather, you don't feel like someone ought to be paying YOU for wearing it. Seriously, you can do much better than Harley's foreign made leather stuff! BTW, $700-$800 for that jacket is ridiculous and about $300-$400 more than a much higher quality jacket from Fox Creek. Having said this, if you've just got to have a jacket with Harley written on it, then you're pretty much gonna have to spend money with Harley.

Before I found Fox Creek, I spent over 2k on Harley gear. I donated it all to a charity auction one of the local riding clubs had. I wish I had my money back. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
We got all our FXRG stuff from ebay, if you aren't in a hurry, and shop, we got all our stuff at < 30% of cost from dealer, all the gear we got was labled "used" but was pretty much new...

·
Registered
190 Posts
I realize this is an old thread but maybe this will help someone still looking for leather. If you're buying leather, buy American and go with Fox Creek Leather. Harley's gear is foreign made and the quality just isn't there, compared with Fox Creek. Look at the zippers on the Harley line. Not YKK? Not good. A failed zipper can ruin your trip. If a clothing line doesn't even use YKK zippers, I figure they cut corners other places too. Use Fox Creek Leather plus Montana Pitch Blend mink oil and your leather will last a lifetime. Because Harley Davidson isn't plastered all over the leather, you don't feel like someone ought to be paying YOU for wearing it. Seriously, you can do much better than Harley's foreign made leather stuff! BTW, $700-$800 for that jacket is ridiculous and about $300-$400 more than a much higher quality jacket from Fox Creek. Having said this, if you've just got to have a jacket with Harley written on it, then you're pretty much gonna have to spend money with Harley.

Before I found Fox Creek, I spent over 2k on Harley gear. I donated it all to a charity auction one of the local riding clubs had. I wish I had my money back. Good luck!
Problem is, neither Fox Creek or Schott Bros, offers anything remotely similar to the Switchback line. Their lines are pretty much traditional biker jackets, not much else

1 - 11 of 11 Posts