Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just hit 50k on my glide and dropped the tranny oil. This is what the drain plug looked like. I've been running redline shockproof in it. When I drained the pan, I found about 20 more small particles in the bottom of the drain pan, too small to have been picked up by the plug. I feel the bike vibrate in 4th and 5th gear through the floorboards. Thought it was just the bigger cams and my imagination but not so sure now.

The metal was really thin, semi shiny flakes, almost like a bearing race coating. The oil had been in there for only 10k miles since the last change. Should i just fill it back up and go, or is it time to tear into it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
630 Posts
According to my manual it states change trans oil every 5k. Yeah right. Got 97k on my 10 RGC. Rebuilt trans at 80k cause of main bearing on drive gear. I'd just put new oil and go. Believe most look thaat way.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Those metal particles seem a little big so you may have a bearing going out. I use 75w140 full synthetic gear lube in my 08 and I have over 100,000 miles on the trans with NO issues. Maybe you should try using a different trans oil.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
So I just hit 50k on my glide and dropped the tranny oil. This is what the drain plug looked like. I've been running redline shockproof in it. When I drained the pan, I found about 20 more small particles in the bottom of the drain pan, too small to have been picked up by the plug. I feel the bike vibrate in 4th and 5th gear through the floorboards. Thought it was just the bigger cams and my imagination but not so sure now.

The metal was really thin, semi shiny flakes, almost like a bearing race coating. The oil had been in there for only 10k miles since the last change. Should i just fill it back up and go, or is it time to tear into it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Yes i think its to big flakes somethings going on,i also have Redline heavy shockproof in my tranny with no problem

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh man, I was hoping for a unanimous "don't worry, ride it" response... I'm going to look into the necessary tools dor repair just in case.
I may put some less expensive gear oil in with one of them strong drain plug magnets for a thousand miles or so and do another check.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Fine dust is OK. That is more than fine dust. That looks to me like bearing raceway flaking or spalling. I have seen it MANY times on transmissions I have rebuilt. Here is an example of it.
[/url][/IMG]

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just put some straight 85w140 gear oil in it and I'm going to run it for about a thousand miles and check it out again. I have a feeling I'll be opening it up soon...

·
Registered
217 Posts

I do have a hard time to believe an oil compagny to tell me what to use, And most of the metric motorcycles been using only engine oil for 50 years plus for their engine/tranny and have near 200 hp and can rev in the 16000rpm without problems so.... but i do use 75w something just can’t recall the second number my self.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
According to my manual it states change trans oil every 5k. Yeah right. Got 97k on my 10 RGC. Rebuilt trans at 80k cause of main bearing on drive gear. I'd just put new oil and go. Believe most look thaat way.
My 11 says to change tranny every 10.

Not sure what the OP's bike is because he gave no info.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got a 2010, thought I had it in my sig, I'll update it.

I double checked my owners manual and the transmission oil change interval is definitely 20,000 miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts