Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed 2 pieces of metal about 1/2 in long on my primary drain pluggable servicing it. It had the normal junk on the plug but the 2 pieces of metal concerns me. Bike had formula + in it and ODO is at 11,800. What's the deal?

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone seen this before? Any suggestions or recommendations?

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
The fuzz on the magnetic drain plug is normal. Those splinter pieces don't look like they should be there. The fuzz is from basically metal to metal surface contact such as compensator and clutch wear etc. The splinter pieces may be clutch material. Does it shift and run normal? Any work done to it recently? If you do your own work I'd dive in just to make sure everything is ok. If not then bring in into a shop for inspection

·
Registered
453 Posts
Would clutch friction material be magnetic enough to stick to the drain plug? I would be concerned to say the least.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Who knows what it is without taking it apart. Like I said before, I'd open it up or bring it to someone to open it up to make sure everything is good.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fuzz on the magnetic drain plug is normal. Those splinter pieces don't look like they should be there. The fuzz is from basically metal to metal surface contact such as compensator and clutch wear etc. The splinter pieces may be clutch material. Does it shift and run normal? Any work done to it recently? If you do your own work I'd dive in just to make sure everything is ok. If not then bring in into a shop for inspection
Shifts and runs fine. No engine/primary work done since new

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I would drop the floor boards and remove the primary cover and inspect. Look closely for wear or any other signs of pieces of metal. Find out what it is before you ride it anymore. Inspect the clutch plates and the metal plates that are in between the clutch plates. Look at the adjusting arm on the primary chain adjuster. I think it safe to say it's not from the rotor/stater system. I hope it's not a piece of a bearing race walking out.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would drop the floor boards and remove the primary cover and inspect. Look closely for wear or any other signs of pieces of metal. Find out what it is before you ride it anymore. Inspect the clutch plates and the metal plates that are in between the clutch plates. Look at the adjusting arm on the primary chain adjuster. I think it safe to say it's not from the rotor/stater system. I hope it's not a piece of a bearing race walking out.
Umm, sounds bad. That's a trip to the stealer cause I sure can't do mechanic work. I've got esp on the bike so maybe they will take care of it....

Reactions: Smarty

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I had the same thing... only 3 pieces... this was at 1k service. Everything came apart and nothing was found...

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have seen this on newer bikes before. Up to about the 3rd oil change.

If it is seen a second time I would be concerned about an alignment issue. excessive vibration etc.

But on the first few oil changes... all kinds of stuff show up. I have even seen similar items in the Tranny (initially).

·
Registered
575 Posts
Has it been kicking back any when starting? Found some pieces like that before on my fatboy I used to have. It was coming from the clutch basket ring gear. Can't tell how long those are from the pic but that's what mine looked like.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had the same thing... only 3 pieces... this was at 1k service. Everything came apart and nothing was found...
Just like what was in mine. I've read several post on other sites where guys have had the same issue but never had any further problems. I think I'm going to run it for 1000 miles then check it again. If it does fly all to pieces it's covered under warranty the year and I'll pay 50 bucks and get it fixed. Probably be easier the get something done under warranty any how IF it was to fly to pieces. I'm sure they will probably tell me just normal wear and tear if I go to them with these 2 little pieces of splinters right now! How many miles on ur bike now?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Has it been kicking back any when starting? Found some pieces like that before on my fatboy I used to have. It was coming from the clutch basket ring gear. Can't tell how long those are from the pic but that's what mine looked like.
It has maybe 2 or 3 times since last September when purchased. They aren't long maybe 1/2 in at longest and real thin

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Could the drain plug threads possibly be stripped. Many times if the drain plug is overtightened it can cause this to happen.
Your drain plug could still tighten up OK if there is enough threads left in the hole that are undamaged.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Nope.. not the threads... they are way too straight... not even a slight curve to them

Reactions: cookie114

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope.. not the threads... they are way too straight... not even a slight curve to them
How many miles on your bike now with no problems?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts