Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced the Dunlop’s with Michelin Commander III. Great tires, good grip and control.

I also replaced the non abs bearings with Timken 205PP bearings.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Educate me here. Why the timken?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've had a couple of the factory HD bearings go bad (9276). Timken is a higher quality bearing than the current HD ones. Replaced all non abs bearings including the drive belt pulley.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Is there not a Timken for the abs?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey Mr Ed,
I'd sure like an update of those Commander III's when you get more miles, 5K 10K.....thanks.. ..goldie

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Mr Ed,
I'd sure like an update of those Commander III's when you get more miles, 5K 10K.....thanks.. ..goldie
Pulled the wheel off and had the balance rechecked. Was balanced. I started a claim with Michelin. Dealer said put a few more miles on them. Have about 100 as of now. I replaced all the wheels bearings during the original install of the C IIIs. Still have a slight vibration straight up not banking.
I

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Pulled the wheel off and had the balance rechecked. Was balanced. I started a claim with Michelin. Dealer said put a few more miles on them. Have about 100 as of now. I replaced all the wheels bearings during the original install of the C IIIs. Still have a slight vibration straight up not banking.
I
Dumb question - but have they been checked for plain old roundness?

Reactions: Oclaf

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had to get both tires replaced today and considered this, but ultimately went with the Dunlops again. Just curious, why did you guys go with the C3’s? I haven’t had a bad experience with the Dunlops, but I am having a bit of buyers remorse at the moment.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I had to get both tires replaced today and considered this, but ultimately went with the Dunlops again. Just curious, why did you guys go with the C3’s? I haven’t had a bad experience with the Dunlops, but I am having a bit of buyers remorse at the moment.
The Dunlops are good tires but start to get an annoying hum after a few runs in the twisties. Plus they’re a little slow turning and leaning. I tried C2’s but they were too responsive for me. The C3’s are somewhere in the middle. Fantastic grip on dry roads (I don’t ride in much rain in southern AZ), more responsiveness in the twisties and a better looking tire are my reasons.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have been ripping it up in the corners with the C3’s. 10-20 mph over suggested speed is no problem on some roads. Feels like it’s on rails.
Edit- except in the tar snakes. They really got my attention today. Road was hot and the snakes were slick as snot. No tires are gonna help in that situation LOL

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I’ve been on C2’s for the past 6 years or so. C3’s will be my next tire.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Have you had any experience with them on wet pavement, cause I got to tell you my Dunlop American Elites are fantastic in rain, but have thought about the MCs .

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I like the grip (wet and dry) with the stock tires, but I can't get a rear to last more than 7-8,000 miles. How's the life with these?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
What tire pressure do you run? I run the rear at 42 psi and I get an easy 15k out of my rear AE dunnys.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I like the grip (wet and dry) with the stock tires, but I can't get a rear to last more than 7-8,000 miles. How's the life with these?
I read that all the time but can’t figure out why. I get 18000 miles out of mine. Maybe road conditions? I commute every day and ride hard on most weekends.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I read that all the time but can’t figure out why. I get 18000 miles out of mine. Maybe road conditions? I commute every day and ride hard on most weekends.
DamifIknow. I engine brake a lot. But I switched to the A&S clutch thinking that'd help, we'll see. I can't get 18,000 out of a front, much less a rear.

What tire pressure do you run? I run the rear at 42 psi and I get an easy 15k out of my rear AE dunnys.
38/42, and I check it before every ride. The current tires probably have 5,000 miles on them, the rear's singing in the corners, and I'll probably have to replace it in another 3-4,000 miles.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Too many variables just like fuel mileage. Combined weight, road conditions, curvy, straight, highway, city. When I had a 90 mile round trip commute (all highway), I squeezed 14K out of a stock Dunlop. Now they're cupping and singing around 7500miles.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts