Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some input on insurance for my 2011 RGU, currently with HD/Progressive paying 900/year. Which is about what I was paying on my 2 99' softtails together. I have read most of the post on this topic but have not noticed any Michigan riders comments.
I am currently putting a list together to start calling, just looking for some input about what others in Michigan using and paying.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Butch I'm in southeast Michigan and have been with state farm my entire adult life cars, house, bikes, ect..I currently have 4 bikes insured with them including my 2012 roadglide that I'm paying 690 a year and this includes 50 grand in medical insurance.

·
Registered
593 Posts
My insurance dropped from over $500/yr with Progressive to just under $300/yr with State Farm (all coverages the same!). I'm in norther Indiana, but with State Farm my PI (personal injury) insurance automatically increases at no extra cost when I ride in Michigan. Something about state reciprocity. State Farm has been a good move for me. Guess I should mention my last speeding ticket was in the 90's.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Here is a complete breakdown of my H-D progressive policy. I live 30 min south of AA, and I by no means have anything close to a spotless driving record. Progressive, although I firmly disagree with all of their political views, is the cheapest insurance i found by several hundred per year. I've been a loyal customer for 19 years only because they have always beaten competitors prices.

BODILY INJURY & PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY $57.00
BI $100,000 EACH PERSON - $300,000 EACH ACCIDENT
PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY - $50,000 EACH ACCIDENT
UNINSURED/UNDERINSURED MOTORIST $94.00
$100,000 EACH PERSON - $300,000 EACH ACCIDENT
COMP $375 DED TOTAL LOSS $79.00
INCLUDES DISAPPEARING DEDUCTIBLE
COLL $375 DED TOTAL LOSS $216.00
INCLUDES DISAPPEARING DEDUCTIBLE
MEDICAL PAYMENTS $5,000 EACH PERSON $34.00
ACCESSORY COVERAGE $3,000 INCL
ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE WITH TRIP INTERRUPTION $15.00
$500 EACH OCCURRENCE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Premium by Vehicle $495.00
Mcca Surcharge $145.00
Total Policy Premium $640.00

·
Registered
589 Posts
My insurance dropped from over $500/yr with Progressive to just under $300/yr with State Farm (all coverages the same!). I'm in norther Indiana, but with State Farm my PI (personal injury) insurance automatically increases at no extra cost when I ride in Michigan. Something about state reciprocity. State Farm has been a good move for me. Guess I should mention my last speeding ticket was in the 90's.
That's good to know. I live about an hour south of you so the same should apply to me. My last ticket that stuck was in '94. Haven't been stopped for speeding since '96.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I have Allstate insurance and I pay just over $1200 a year Progressive came in at $1300 a year and I have a clean driving record. I only have my motorcycle insured with Allstate all my other stuff is insured with Pioneer insurance and they don't insure motorcycles. I do have $20,000 in medical and $10,000 in coverage on my extras (which is not enough coverage). I looked into combining everything with Allstate but when I did the math I would end up paying more a year than the way I am doing it now. I did price State Farm which would cost me less but they only offered $5,000 in coverage on extras.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have Allstate insurance and I pay just over $1200 a year Progressive came in at $1300 a year and I have a clean driving record. I only have my motorcycle insured with Allstate all my other stuff is insured with Pioneer insurance and they don't insure motorcycles. I do have $20,000 in medical and $10,000 in coverage on my extras (which is not enough coverage). I looked into combining everything with Allstate but when I did the math I would end up paying more a year than the way I am doing it now. I did price State Farm which would cost me less but they only offered $5,000 in coverage on extras.
Iron, man that makes no sense what so ever:eek: you're just 40 mins away from me and you pay twice what i do. i've got 3 speeding tickets in 3 yrs and 2 totaled vehicles (i wasn't driving either) in 4 yrs. A nd consider my coverage good.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have wolverine insurance $480.00 a year and they let you put comp on in the off season ends up around $300.00 a year.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Iron, man that makes no sense what so ever:eek: you're just 40 mins away from me and you pay twice what i do. i've got 3 speeding tickets in 3 yrs and 2 totaled vehicles (i wasn't driving either) in 4 yrs. A nd consider my coverage good.
I know it makes no sense but I shopped around and this is what it is.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I know it don't make any sense. I shopped around and this is just the way it is.

·
Registered
593 Posts
That's good to know. I live about an hour south of you so the same should apply to me. My last ticket that stuck was in '94. Haven't been stopped for speeding since '96.
I'm the Indiana ABATE Region 1 & St. Joseph County LINC rep. I spent a lot of time learning about the MI helmet law repeal, the insurance ramifications, and how specifically State Farm handles the required 20k in PI insurance for MI.

As for being stopped, I've been stopped a couple of times in the last 15 years and in spite of my rough appearance I've gotten some lucky breaks. The last stop was down your way on 31s by a state trooper who didn't hassle me about my carry permit or a loaded handgun in the vehicle, gave me a warning, and said have a good night.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys, Ive been working over at Allstate for 10 years now. Ive been quoting people right around 250 to 350 a year on there motorcycle insurance. If you guys want I can quote you. Just give me a call or if you don't want to call me you can email me at [email protected] Also my number is 616-528-1293

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hard to figure why insurance for 2 different people living not far apart can be so different--assuming driving records and other particulars are also similar. But...., in my recent insurance shopping experience one agent told me about something I wasn't aware of that can influence your rate. Your stinking zip code !!!

He didn't go into details but he did convince me that your zip code can have a dramatice effect, either good or bad, on the rate you are quoted.

Maybe Mr. Benner, the Allstate rep who just joined and posted a couple of posts before this one can shed some light on this zip code business?

Louisville Joe

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm over in Holland area and paying State Farm $428 each for my Road Glide and Road King Classic. I've got car and house through State Farm too.

In addition to driving record and your location, and depending on your carrier, your credit score can have a big impact on your rate believe or not. My FICO is in the 800 range and driving record is also clean.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maybe Mr. Benner, the Allstate rep who just joined and posted a couple of posts before this one can shed some light on this zip code business?

Louisville Joe
Yes, zip codes do have a great effect on prices. Lets say you live in Grand Rapids MI, which I happen to live in. You get a year policy there. After a year lets say you move to Detroit. When you go to get a new policy your rates are going to be higher due to the zip code/area that you live in. The reason is, people in that area are more likely to get into a accident or file a claim into the insurance company. That's why lots of people put there address as a friend or family's address in order to get a better rate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm over in Holland area and paying State Farm $428 each for my Road Glide and Road King Classic. I've got car and house through State Farm too.

In addition to driving record and your location, and depending on your carrier, your credit score can have a big impact on your rate believe or not. My FICO is in the 800 range and driving record is also clean.
Over at Allstate we use a "Insurance Score Rating". We pull from transunion. Its a soft hit on your credit and doesn't effect your credit score or rating when we pull it. We don't see any information except a number. The number is between 1-16. 1 being the best and 16 being the worst. Also being married gets you a better rate and owning a home. I just sold a policy last week where the owner was a women, whom worked over at GM. She was single. She owned her own home and was a 11 "IS" score. Minimum coverages on the policy she was at 223 a year.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So I called alll around today to get ins. on my new RGC that I bought yesterday, I thought the bike was going to be the expensive part... any way I checked on the site here and found Steve Benner and thought I would give him a call for the heck of it. Long story short he was the best price I could find for my new bike. Thanks Steve! My last bike was a V-star 1100 and ins. for that was under 400 a year, I am a cop with a perfect driving record, and have been riding for close to 20 years now. This is my first Harley and I can't get over the cost of insuring these things, my brand new 2012 Dodge ram 2500 megacab with the cummins and loaded up is about the same to insure as this bike is...But Steve was the least in premiums any way so thanks again. Give him a call if you live in MI and need a quote.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts