Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've read threads about these deflectors and I've searched and can't find them, so I'm gonna ask. Do most of you leave them on or take them off? I swear I've heard people say the engine runs cooler without them.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I put them on to save my thighs from burning in the summer in stopped traffic. wife says they keep the heat off her feet. Personally, can't see them negatively impacting the engine but I don't live in the warmest part of the country.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Off. No supporting data such as temp measurements, but I am of the opinion they helped hold heat in. After I removed them I think there is more air flow.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I took them off since they didn't seem to reduce my "seat-heat". I like the way it looks without them and believe it helps to circulate air around the engine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have them and I can not tell the difference on or off and that is after extensive riding in all wind conditions. So, I left them off. I like to see all of the engine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
They work for me here in Florida. I didn't put them on for a year. Wish I had them on from the get-go.:)

·
Registered
532 Posts
I waited through most of the hot months and then added them, should have got them earlier. Wife likes them and can tell the difference. Texas does get hot come June through late September.

·
Registered
198 Posts
luv mine even painted them same color as bike looks much better

Attachments

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
My bike didn't come with the mid frame heat deflectors and I bought some and tried them out for a year and IMO the mid frame heat deflectors didn't help with the heat on my legs. All they did was create more heat and move the heat down on my leg.
I used the heat deflectors while riding in temps that range from 40 degrees to 120 degrees.
They do trap the heat by preventing air flow because they form a pocket at the rear of the engine cavity, this increases the heat on the rear cylinder and rear exhaust pipe because air flow is hindered.
The heat deflectors are sitting in my box of HD stuff that didn't really work for me and I am not putting them on my bike again.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
My bike didn't come with the mid frame heat deflectors and I bought some and tried them out for a year and IMO the mid frame heat deflectors didn't help with the heat on my legs. All they did was create more heat and move the heat down on my leg.
I used the heat deflectors while riding in temps that range from 40 degrees to 120 degrees.
They do trap the heat by preventing air flow because they form a pocket at the rear of the engine cavity, this increases the heat on the rear cylinder and rear exhaust pipe because air flow is hindered.
The heat deflectors are sitting in my box of HD stuff that didn't really work for me and I am not putting them on my bike again.
Looks like the OP knows where to pick up a set cheap then. :D

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Looks like the OP knows where to pick up a set cheap then. :D
You can't sell them after they are installed because the compression nuts that come with the kit are in the frame plate and they can't be removed without destroying them.
I could sell them without all the hardware but I am not going to.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Something that may make a difference is where the rear exhaust is located, down right or down left. Would be interesting to see compared to the people who say no help.....

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
You can't sell them after they are installed because the compression nuts that come with the kit are in the frame plate and they can't be removed without destroying them.

I could sell them without all the hardware but I am not going to.

The nuts are REALLY cheap and simple to install. Jmo.

By the way, I think my thighs are cooler on my ultra compared to my previous RG which was a RGC without deflectors. I also like the way they cover the area behind the rear cylinder. Especially when they're painted to match the bike as mine and a few others are.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
462 Posts
Those F'g nuts are NUTS! I was installing the AlloyArt Touring stabilizer which uses the same hole as the deflector on the right side of the bike. What a pain!! Basically had to hammer it out of the hole on one side and chisel it out on the other. Was able to reinstall the deflector using 3M-type double sided tape on the lower portion of the deflector.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the feed back. Sounds to me like it's a fairly even split between those that like them and those that don't. I think I'll try my bike without them this spring and see if it's any hotter or cooler on my legs. I do prefer the look of the engine without them, but that's just me.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Those F'g nuts are NUTS! I was installing the AlloyArt Touring stabilizer which uses the same hole as the deflector on the right side of the bike. What a pain!! Basically had to hammer it out of the hole on one side and chisel it out on the other. Was able to reinstall the deflector using 3M-type double sided tape on the lower portion of the deflector.

Lol! I used a large flathead screwdriver. Slid it underneath, turned it sideways a couple of times. Bent it and popped it right out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 18 of 18 Posts