Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well shut my mouth! It had to be something that set me off. Checking my tranny fluid this morn, found my dipstick was dry, turned on some music to start my day, I began dreaming. Then I took off the derby cover and saw my oil leakin away, I saw my over filled primary oil leakin away while being on the centerstand. As clear as the sun in the summer sky, I gotta make a call......Low mile 2019 FLTRX

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Well shut my mouth! It had to be something that set me off. Checking my tranny fluid this morn, found my dipstick was dry, turned on some music to start my day, I began dreaming. Then I took off the derby cover and saw my oil leakin away, I saw my over filled primary oil leakin away while being on the centerstand. As clear as the sun in the summer sky, I gotta make a call......Low mile 2019 FLTRX
that's transfer, not sumpin lol
does your bike have a rubber vent on the side of the primary?
there was a recall on this issue

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well shit howdy. For sure not a good way to start the day. At least at this point you know what your repair options are. May as well turn up the music and get to it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotchya on transfer. No vent yet. It's on the trailer for a ride this morn, so they can see it. There's another month left on the original warranty. It's a lifetime dealer and I have the extended so it's just the hassle factor. Checking ebay for longer dipsticks LoL....

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Gotchya on transfer. No vent yet. It's on the trailer for a ride this morn, so they can see it. There's another month left on the original warranty. It's a lifetime dealer and I have the extended so it's just the hassle factor. Checking ebay for longer dipsticks LoL....
Longer dip stick. Are sure you don't work for Dealership ?

·
Shark of the Month October 13
10,012 Posts
That's the new 'constant loss' lubrication system .... I'm pretty sure HD has a patent on it already!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup. They're doing the "we'll fillerup and y'all come back now ya hear" bit. Don't mess with me there's a Roadster on the floor with 3k on the clock.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Not sumpin...oil transfer. Don't play the dealer game...just go get the $50 vent kit and install it and be done!

Reactions: Silveryrado

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info. This all happened within the last 250 mi, so it shouldn't take long for history to repeat itself. The shop was full of bikes with the same issue. Writer say's it's a seal? Probably a tactic to feel me out LoL. Playing dumb is easy for an ole fart, plenty of training. Build date 3/19. On the other hand this is a huge dealer and a major player in the SW La. market, maybe 6 new bikes and 30 used on the floor. Parts room looked like a ghost town, and you could roll bowling balls down the isles and not hit anyone. Only things well stocked were the trinkets and gifts. So it's bad out there if your into the "I want to be a dealer market" Love tooling on my bike but this is their baby to deal with, I have until the end of my "time" to play said game......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sumpin...oil transfer. Don't play the dealer game...just go get the $50 vent kit and install it and be done!

Thx sturge, I was listening to some Boston and the title was just a play on words, my bad. I will now go punish myself with some day drinking and contemplate my evil deeds along with polishing the chrome. That should straighten my click baiting a$$ out
Cat Felidae Carnivore Whiskers Small to medium-sized cats

·
Registered
298 Posts
Here's the short story on my vent installation (more detail in link to my thread above). Mine was transferring 10-12oz from tranny to primary in less than 400 miles (RGS 114 ci...Feb 2019 build date).

After getting a bunch of BS from one dealer (they said the vent was not a part available for me to install), I went to another dealer that had the kit for $50. The kit includes instructions, a primary cover gasket, derby cover gasket, the rubber vent hose and a TEMPLATE to locate the hole you need to drill. Requires removal of primary cover. Lots of video's out there of how to do it. Instructions are good for the hole drilling and vent install but there is vague guidance on the need to remove an oil deflector on opposite side of engine (requires removal of exh and trans side cover to access). I did not do the deflector removal on mine...just installed vent at about 3,500 miles and kept a close watch on oil levels. Oil transfer COMPLETELY stopped and my bike now has close to 11K miles. Job was not hard and only took an an hour or so. I'm just a guy with a Harley...not a 'pro' wrench.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Yup. They're doing the "we'll fillerup and y'all come back now ya hear" bit. Don't mess with me there's a Roadster on the floor with 3k on the clock.
Lean bike to the right. Fill that primary up . Draw a bit of trans fluid out. take it back.
The next game they run on you will be it ony transnfer 2 oz. That is with in limits

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
that's transfer, not sumpin lol
does your bike have a rubber vent on the side of the primary?
there was a recall on this issue
There was never a recall on this. Recalls are only for safety issues. My guess is the OPs bike is out of warranty by now being its a 2019. OP if youre gonna have a dealer do the vet tube it will more then likely be out of pocket.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Why do some bikes have the transfer problem and others do not? Or, do they all have this problem, and some are worse than others?
That is a hard one. Some claimed it came from running the bikes crazy hard at High RPM. That did not seam to be it. My 2017 showed some sign of it but never proved to do it in 40,000 miles. I did however see first hand some that did. Mine also had the worst of the oil pumps but did ok never sumped either.
I watched one blow the engine in .front of me on the road from Sump issues.
Why do some destroy Compensater. otheres put on 3 times as many miles and never had one fail ?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
. On the other hand this is a huge dealer and a major player in the SW La. market, maybe 6 new bikes and 30 used on the floor.
i'm in sw la. what dealer?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Here's the short story on my vent installation (more detail in link to my thread above). Mine was transferring 10-12oz from tranny to primary in less than 400 miles (RGS 114 ci...Feb 2019 build date).

After getting a bunch of BS from one dealer (they said the vent was not a part available for me to install), I went to another dealer that had the kit for $50. The kit includes instructions, a primary cover gasket, derby cover gasket, the rubber vent hose and a TEMPLATE to locate the hole you need to drill. Requires removal of primary cover. Lots of video's out there of how to do it. Instructions are good for the hole drilling and vent install but there is vague guidance on the need to remove an oil deflector on opposite side of engine (requires removal of exh and trans side cover to access). I did not do the deflector removal on mine...just installed vent at about 3,500 miles and kept a close watch on oil levels. Oil transfer COMPLETELY stopped and my bike now has close to 11K miles. Job was not hard and only took an an hour or so. I'm just a guy with a Harley...not a 'pro' wrench.
That's great. If I get fed up will definitely follow your lead on this. I don't expect any garbage, it's just what the MOCO requires. Not skeered I've been deeper. Just spent a grand on shocks, she's a keeper.....Overall since the service it's shifting "like a Harley again" That's what started it all.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts