Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I would like to solicit your advice. My Grandfather recently passed away. He served in the Army from 1943-1945. I want honor him and his service by putting a patch on my vest as a memorial to him. I never served and do not want to disrespect any veteran by having a patch that would imply that I was in the Service. So my question is what patch or patches can I wear that would honor him and his service, but would not give a false impression that I have served? Or am I over thinking this, and I should put an Army patch under my Flag patch and call it good?

Just for reference he served in Patton's Third Army, the 558th FAB (Field Artillery Battalion). I know he was assigned to the 3rd gun in the A battery. I don't know the proper name for his role but he always told me he was the guy who would put his fingers in his ears and yelled “FIRE”.

Thanks for your input,
JSD

·
Registered
18 Posts
Found this .pdf on line that talked about their history, pretty good read. As a veteran I don't see any issues with you displaying your grandfather's unit patch on your vest.

http://laxin.net/558thfab/Docs/WWII 558th FAB History.pdf
Cannot speak for all vets, but can for myself. I am a Gulf War 1 vet, and a Patriot Guard member. My vest has a bunch of my been there type patches. I think honoring your Grandfather is a great idea, and I would certainly take no offense. An idea to quell haters, and maybe even be a good conversation starter, would be to an embroiderer to make you an "In honor of /insert name and rank/, WWII, USA" patch and sew above it. You see them for fallen biker brothers, so why not a family war hero? As a matter of fact, I have some of my Grandfather's from WWII and I think I will steal your idea! :) Mine was a 1Lt in the Army Corps of Engineers, landed on D-Day, and eventually had the duty of inventorying bodies and digging up mass graves at the concentration camps. He never talked about it much, until after I came home from GW1. It was as if we had something in common and the flood gates opened. Not only do I not mind you honoring him, I think it's a damn fine thing to do!

L

·
0 Posts
Where what ya like , this is America , your Grand father fought our right to be free to choose , ride safe

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
As a Retired 23 year Army Veteran I say wear it and be proud of his service. I'm a PGR member and see several individuals wearing military patches in honor of family and friends. You will have folks ask about the patch, just explain it is honor of the service of your grandfather.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Cannot speak for all vets, but can for myself. I am a Gulf War 1 vet, and a Patriot Guard member. My vest has a bunch of my been there type patches. I think honoring your Grandfather is a great idea, and I would certainly take no offense. An idea to quell haters, and maybe even be a good conversation starter, would be to an embroiderer to make you an "In honor of /insert name and rank/, WWII, USA" patch and sew above it. You see them for fallen biker brothers, so why not a family war hero? As a matter of fact, I have some of my Grandfather's from WWII and I think I will steal your idea! :) Mine was a 1Lt in the Army Corps of Engineers, landed on D-Day, and eventually had the duty of inventorying bodies and digging up mass graves at the concentration camps. He never talked about it much, until after I came home from GW1. It was as if we had something in common and the flood gates opened. Not only do I not mind you honoring him, I think it's a damn fine thing to do!
I think the "in honor of" is a great idea..maybe with service dates in country...If I saw it I'd ask and would love to hear about his service!!

here's another link

https://www.usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm?https&&&www.usarmygermany.com/Units/Ordnance/USAREUR_558th USAAG.htm

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
He never talked about it much, until after I came home from GW1. It was as if we had something in common and the flood gates opened. Not only do I not mind you honoring him, I think it's a damn fine thing to do!
The exact same thing happened with me, my grandfathers, great uncle and 2 uncles who served in Vietnam. Not after boot camp, not when I came home on leave, but when I got back from the desert. We would be at a family get together and the stories would come out, until someone else would walk up the the subject would change.

I say wear it proudly. Anyone with any sense will understand why. If they make assumptions otherwise then fuck em. The only time I see a reason to have issues is when people try to misrepresent, which clearly you aren't doing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am a Vietnam Vet, and I also see no problem with choosing to honor your grandfathers service. Anyone that would choose to criticize you would have to be an idiot since you would obviously be too young to have served in the 2nd world war. In fact, that is exactly what I would say to anyone questioning your choice of patch in honor of gramps.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Amen. Your grandfather fought for freedom. Not some world where bullshit, somebody else, dictates what you can, and can't do. Patton certainly was a "rule follower...lol" (NOT. Read "Patton. Genius for War."). I work for the government in a county in the State of Utah.. last week I got a bunch of heat for wearing a Harley dealership T-shirt that said "Beer''s Harleysville Davidson, Vernal, Utah" to work on casual Friday... One of my colleagues thought it was "offensive"since it contained the word "Beer".. I live in a world of fucking LDS morons (happen to be one, non-orthodox) that only feel comfortablessed playing "follow the leader." (Having gone off on that rant, I can say that we all can do things that are offensive or maybe are wrong. But my opinion is that you are free to float it out in the ether and decide if your willing, or not willing, to put up with the heat or praise it generates.. AND if some dumbs shit thinks you served in the 3rd Army in WWII, hes probably a fucking moron from Utah, and can be ignored... Semper Fi)

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Retired USAF here, I don’t see any issues with sporting the patches, but I also like the idea of adding a memorial patch in honor of your grandfather. I have a few myself...and honestly, all of the units I’m sporting have all been decommissioned. Damn, am I that old?!?

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
As a Marine Veteran, I find no offense in You Honoring Your Grandfather who was a WWII Army Veteran.
It's Those Great Americans that fought and died for All Our Freedom!
I'm sure that he is smiling down on You for what You are doing in His Memory.
The only people that would take offense are those who haven't served Our Great Nation.
Wear Your Grandfathers Patch with Pride and tell all who ask You what a Great Man He was.
Semper Fi!
Mike U.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi All,

I would like to solicit your advice. My Grandfather recently passed away. He served in the Army from 1943-1945. I want honor him and his service by putting a patch on my vest as a memorial to him. I never served and do not want to disrespect any veteran by having a patch that would imply that I was in the Service. So my question is what patch or patches can I wear that would honor him and his service, but would not give a false impression that I have served? Or am I over thinking this, and I should put an Army patch under my Flag patch and call it good?

Just for reference he served in Patton's Third Army, the 558th FAB (Field Artillery Battalion). I know he was assigned to the 3rd gun in the A battery. I don't know the proper name for his role but he always told me he was the guy who would put his fingers in his ears and yelled “FIRE”.

Thanks for your input,
JSD
Definitely honor Him how you see fit brother. Absolutely nothing wrong with what you're doing. Great idea, great intentions. His service and life ought to be honored. It's part of why we're all free.

It's not even in the same universe as someone going around claiming they're ST6 or CAG or whatever. That's another deal entirely.

Best

·
Registered
485 Posts
as a veteran myself, I find no problem honoring your grandfather that way. It only is a problem when someone tries to pass off themselves as a vet when they didn't serve. I think what you said and intend is honorable.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I am a 20-year Marine veteran and have to echo the opinion of other vets here... wear it with pride. The "Stolen Valor" thing is meant primarily for those who try to make the impression that they have served, many making complete asses of themselves wearing heroic insignia. In your heart you are paying respect and honor to your grandfather and I think that is an incredible idea! The suggestion that you have an "In Memory of..." patch was also a really good idea.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I too will echo what the others here have said. Wear the patch to remember your grandfather. The patch will be a great conversation starter. Adding "In memory of" is not a bad idea and something I have seen throughout my years riding. Either way you arent doing anything wrong by wearing the patch and any jackass that thinks you are deserves to look down a barrel and wait for the flash!

I am a 20+ year Marine still serving and I would prob ask you about the patch and then buy a bottle of booze so we can sit and share stories!

·
Registered
154 Posts
wear it proudly!

Hi All,

Thanks for your input,
JSD
Nothing wrong with honoring your grandfather and a vet! I plan to hand down my jacket to my son when he is ready, even if he never serves. I have my Great Uncle Tink's Purple Heart from WWII displayed proudly in my office. Wear your grandfather's patches proudly on a riding vest!

These are pics of my jacket from when I was in the Air Force and my Great Uncle Tink's Purple Heart! He was KIA and now in Arlington.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts