Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife's go'in out of town for the weekend, I'm headed to the M.D.H.
If anyones intersted I'm leav'in Steamboat on Friday the 3rd and back home Sunday or maybe Monday? It'll be 3 days in the saddle, full of twisty mtn. passes, connected with hi-speed sections, ending with cold beer and hot springs. :cool:

·
Registered
743 Posts
Enjoy it. I'd be leery of riding Rabbit Ears this time of year. No telling how much snow and ice will be between Ouray and Durango. Ride safe Riptilyaflip!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Enjoy it. I'd be leery of riding Rabbit Ears this time of year. No telling how much snow and ice will be between Ouray and Durango. Ride safe Riptilyaflip!
When we were out there in 05 there was still snow on the shoulders of the road south of Ouray on the 7th or 8th of july. We left Ouray in the morning, some of the oldest riding ive ever done till we got over the pass and on the west(sunny) side of the valley. We had gloves, hats extra shirts etc on till we got Durango. That evening we arrived in Albequerque to 105* temps.

·
Registered
743 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Colorado Springs, west on 24, then south to 50. West on 50 to 550 then south to Farmington. That's my Sunday ride
Hey!! You rode right past me!! Buena Vista is at the intersection where you take Hwy 24 south toward Salida (Hwy 50)!! I do live in the perfect place to ride. :D

The Million Dollar Highway is a MUST DO for anyone visiting Colorado. I make sure to ride it a least a couple times a year. But, as others have stated, be wary of weather conditions, it can be treacherous if you're not prepared. :)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Colorado Springs, west on 24, then south to 50. West on 50 to 550 then south to Farmington. That's my Sunday ride
Farmington. YUCK! I can make it across town in Austin (800k pop and horrid traffic) quicker than I can get across that town. Light, light, light, light repeat.

64 west of there is nice, though.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Farmington. YUCK! I can make it across town in Austin (800k pop and horrid traffic) quicker than I can get across that town. Light, light, light, light repeat.

64 west of there is nice, though.
64 west to 160, to 89A, thru northern New Mexico and Arizona to St. George is my Monday ride.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I live in Steamboat. Rode over Rabbit Ears and 2 other passes on my 250 mile Sunday loop. Roads are clear, but definitley have to watch for sand, fallen rocks and water. The only passes that wouldn't be open until Memorial Day would be Trail Ridge and Independence.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey!! You rode right past me!! Buena Vista is at the intersection where you take Hwy 24 south toward Salida (Hwy 50)!! I do live in the perfect place to ride. :D

The Million Dollar Highway is a MUST DO for anyone visiting Colorado. I make sure to ride it a least a couple times a year. But, as others have stated, be wary of weather conditions, it can be treacherous if you're not prepared. :)
I live in Steamboat. Cold weather on mtn. passes is just part of my riding.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I live in Steamboat. Cold weather on mtn. passes is just part of my riding.
No doubt! My comment was directed more toward the folks from out of state. If you live in Steamboat, and ride a motorcycle.... you know what riding in inclement weather is all about! :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We'll be spending the night in Steamboat on the way to SWIII, reservations at the Steamboat Hotel on the 27th.
If you'd like a reccomendation on the most fun route to get here, let me know what direction you're coming from. There's lots of cool rides around here.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I am thinking of going home from SWIII thru Cortez and up 145 to 62 over to Ridgeway, from there to Ouray and up the MDH to Durango - probably over to Pagosa Springs for the night - a total of less than 100 Miles eastward progress - but a hell of nice ride. Have to go over Wolf Creek Pass too - just cuz I liked the song.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
If you'd like a reccomendation on the most fun route to get here, let me know what direction you're coming from. There's lots of cool rides around here.
We'll be starting the day in North Platte Ne, coming west on 14 all the way.
I know, the road from Sterling to Fort Collins is one desolate SOB, but that makes it kinda neat too. Been the Estes park, Rocky Mountain park way, thought 14 looked interesting??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts