Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had problems with oil pump. My Street glide special with stage 3 oil pump failed causing rear piston to nearly seize.
Dealer ordered both pistons, one jug, new pump and a few other parts. 1200 miles on the bike.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Its an issue. The MoCo has upgraded the pumps at least twice now. And of late they are condemning whole engines for reasons as yet not known.

Make sure your dealer measures the runout on the pinion shaft.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My understanding 2018 has a different pump than 17s. I just had my cam swapped and my builder recommended getting the newest pump. He said HD is on the 4 version of the pump
Shouldn't that be a warranty issue then? Was he recommending the newer oil pump as an upgrade to your system or offering to replace a potentially bad pump or one prone to early failure? Or was he suggesting they would upgrade the oil pump at their cost while doing the work as a preventative warranty measure? (I guess my thoughts are moot if your builder is an Indy.)

-c

·
Registered
67 Posts
Shouldn't that be a warranty issue then? Was he recommending the newer oil pump as an upgrade to your system or offering to replace a potentially bad pump or one prone to early failure? Or was he suggesting they would upgrade the oil pump at their cost while doing the work as a preventative warranty measure? (I guess my thoughts are moot if your builder is an Indy.)

-c[/QUOTE]
He recommended I get the newer one as a preventative measure. He said I could either go to HD and have them take the bike in and replace it for free but have the time down or buy the parts and he since it wouldn't add time to the build have him install it. I opted the latter as I was anxious for more power

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry if to resurect an old post but I am looking at buying my first RG and possibly M8. So one stated the oil pump was a problem when you do stage 3 or 4. so if I just leave it alone or stage 1 or 2 It "should be ok?"I do realize stage 1 has nothing internally changed. Stage 2 is a cam swap, then I should chnage the Pump siince it has to come out anyway, right? Thank you for your insight.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Sorry if to resurect an old post but I am looking at buying my first RG and possibly M8. So one stated the oil pump was a problem when you do stage 3 or 4. so if I just leave it alone or stage 1 or 2 It "should be ok?"I do realize stage 1 has nothing internally changed. Stage 2 is a cam swap, then I should chnage the Pump siince it has to come out anyway, right? Thank you for your insight.
Depends on the year I think. I have a 19 with the 114 and supposedly the issue is fixed. New pump and plate. But if it's apart then yes. If it was an older version of the oil pump. I would replace it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
great for the new bikes. I am looking into either the 15-16 twin cam or maybe a 17 with the M8. First years of motors worry me. that's why I didn't buy a new one then.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Has anyone had problems with oil pump. My Street glide special with stage 3 oil pump failed causing rear piston to nearly seize.
Dealer ordered both pistons, one jug, new pump and a few other parts. 1200 miles on the bike.
First post needs a hearty welcome...Hearty Welcome from Penciltucky! Ride safe, but just ride!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
i've been getting a ticking sound on cold startup on my '18 with 15K miles.
talked to the dealer, the service writer asked what kind of oil filter i was using. i told him i bought it there.
the tech said "don't worry about it, and don't believe everything you hear from non-harley sources."

so i'm gonna not worry about it until i'm out somewhere in the middle of nowhere and the valve train locks up :grin:
then, they will definitely get an earful!

seriously, if you're gonna change the cam, you might as well spend the $800+ to upgrade the pump, cam plate, lifters, etc.
and check the run-out, too

·
Registered
3 Posts
M8 Road Glide second time sumping

Hi All, interesting post. I have a May 2017 RGS with stage 3 kit installed at new. In about October 2017 HD revised the oil pump especially for the stage 3 and 4 kits, mine being installed at new, had the original pump etc. 18 months in at 20,000mi (about a year ago exactly), I started to get an awful clackety clack noise on the right side around the lifter/cam/pushrod area. Eventually the shop decided it was sumping, pulled the motor down and rebuilt with upgraded oil pump, backing plate, clutch plate, new pistons, sleeves and installed adjustable pushrods for the heck of it. Thankfully all on warranty except the pushrods.

Afterwards the clacking (it was really loud, have a recording of it) was no longer there and for the last year and 5000 miles it ran beautifully. That is until a couple of weeks ago when the clacking noise returned. The shop think it is the oil pump again. Dunno which revision was installed last year but I am told HD are now on the 5th revision of the M8 oil pump, this version being completely different from everything before. I took out the extra 2 years warranty on top of the standard 2 and still have 18 months left. Phew. But if it is fixed, again, this time do I take pot luck, keep the bike and hope it doesn’t happen again. Once out of warranty it’s not a repair I can easily afford. Hmmmmm. Anyone else had similar problems on more than one occasion?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
glad this post was brought up again...

turns out my 2018 FLTRX (April 2018 build) cold start ticking noise was a little more involved and that "NO, they all DON'T do that!"

took it to the dealer, they kept it overnight and started in the morning when i was there.
"NOPE, that ain't right." warranty time (glad i didn't drop that 124 kit in there yet lol)
so upon sending the MoCo a sound recording of the noise, it was approved for tear down.

they took measurements (bleed down, compression, etc.) and all was good.
started to tear down and found that the front exhaust lifter and corresponding cam lobe were scored. (prolly lack of lubrication)
got OK from MoCo to replace everthing from cam up (cam, lefty bearing, pistons, cylinders, lifters, push rods, and complete heads.

took them about a month to do everything, and bike runs good, but it's always gonna be in the back of my head.
hopefully they replace everything they were supposed to with the upgraded parts.
have 20K+ miles on it now and seems to be OK

in retrospect i prolly shoulda dropped that 124 kit in there anyway lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a recording of mine in all its clackety glory. The noise is there constantly from start up right throughout the revs as well. My heads aren’t done, maybe later. I have read a couple of posts elsewhere that mention noise from the rockers as well, but not sure about that. A lack of oil pumping up the lifters and other bits down there seems to make much more sense. My dilemma now is whether I keep this bike when fixed for the second time. Maybe a 114 FLTRXS with stage 2 might be a better idea than keeping the 107 (114) with stage 3. I dunno.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts