Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Of course swapping out the factory bars with apes, especially taller ones, would result in loosing wind protection on the hand grips, as they are no longer behind the fairing. However, I'm curious if going with some 10" mimi apes, specifically the 10" Chubby's, would still offer some hand grip wind protection. The windshield installed would be a 14" Windvest or LRS. Of course I'm just thinking about winter time.

If anyone has some 10" mini apes, please provide a cold weather review. I'd also wouldn't mind hearing from those with 12" bars.....

I really like the look of 10" and 12" apes on RGC's, but looks come second to comfort with me, especially on a touring bike.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have feeling they will work for you. Handgrip wind deflectors work in dirt bike world. If you get them and try them, I'm sure you will report back here.

Still curious to hear from an owner of 10" apes.....

·
Registered
659 Posts
For $99 I'd buy a set of heated gloves...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For $99 I'd buy a set of heated gloves...
Yeah, my eyebrow went up when I saw the price too. A fabricator could make and sell them for half that price, but what is cheap these days?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...Or for $40 more, you could do these!! I am told that they work awesome. Better than the Harley heated grips that quit less than a year later.

http://www.symtec-inc.com/HARLEY-CHROME-VERSION-Right-side-mount_p_12.html

They also have a left mounted switch instead of the right!
I've been thinking of HD heated grips, but I would need some 1st hand user feedback on these before forking out the coin. Are you saying your HD heated grips failed? If so, after how long?
Hey, wasn't this a 10" ape hanger thread? :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have the 10" chubby's. Pretty much exposed to the elements but couldn't be happier with the choice though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been thinking of HD heated grips, but I would need some 1st hand user feedback on these before forking out the coin. Are you saying your HD heated grips failed? If so, after how long?
Hey, wasn't this a 10" ape hanger thread? :)
My wife had them and lasted almost a year. A friend has a CVO with them and same thing. It is not like either of them use them 12 months out of the year? Save your money!!

I think the thread was about catching wind and keeping your hands warm.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the 10" chubby's. Pretty much exposed to the elements but couldn't be happier with the choice though.
Thanks for the bad news. :D

I still may do the 10" Chuby's anyway. But I'd probably wait until I was ready for heated hand grips and do them together.

Since you have the 10" Chubby bars I'm considering.....I'd love to see some pics of them installed......

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My wife had them and lasted almost a year. A friend has a CVO with them and same thing. It is not like either of them use them 12 months out of the year? Save your money!!
Damn.....I can't believe they quit working so fast, especially at $200+.

I wonder if another manufacturer offers a more reliable/lasting heated grip.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'll take a couple tomorrow but if you look for the thread about bag extensions adhesive I think I have a good pic in there. I can't attached a pic with the iPad which I'm on now.

W

·
0 Posts
I can't help you on the Mini Apes but I will offer this. At the end of the season I picked up some HD Heated Gloves for half proce one year. The other thing that works if you buy the Mini Apes is to go to a Sportmens Warehouse and purchase a box of the small hand warmers. Place one of those on the back of your hand and slip on the gloves, Aahhhh. lol

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't help you on the Mini Apes but I will offer this. At the end of the season I picked up some HD Heated Gloves for half proce one year. The other thing that works if you buy the Mini Apes is to go to a Sportmens Warehouse and purchase a box of the small hand warmers. Place one of those on the back of your hand and slip on the gloves, Aahhhh. lol
I wish I could do heated gloves, but I have abnormally large hands (long fingers) so I can't find "any" gloves that fit right. Over the years, I have purchased fingerless gloves or finger gloves about 2 sizes too big (XXL or XXXL) just to have fingers that are long enough. I've finally decided to have a glove manufacturer make me some expensive custom fit gloves. Hence the attraction to heated hand grips.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I wish I could do heated gloves, but I have abnormally large hands (long fingers) so I can't find "any" gloves that fit right. Over the years, I have purchased fingerless gloves or finger gloves about 2 sizes too big (XXL or XXXL) just to have fingers that are long enough. I've finally decided to have a glove manufacturer make me some expensive custom fit gloves. Hence the attraction to heated hand grips.
ET phone home.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have 10" Yaffe apes on my '10 and hand exposure isn't too bad, except for that one 2 day ride in 14 C weather. Heated gloves would have solved that, but I don't have them yet.
My '06 has heated grips, stock bars, and I have never had a problem with them. Still work fine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You're probably gonna hate hearing this, but for ME the heated grips were lame. They crapped out after 1 season and when they did work they didn't quite cut it for me. My fingers and toes are always coldest. The grips tended to keep my palm a little warmer if I wore thinner gloves, but then my finger tips froze. Wasn't the trade off I was looking for.

This is the first winter in over 28 years riding that I actually can enjoy cold weather riding. I bit the bullet and bought heated gloves. WOW. What a difference they made. Give gerbing a call and they might be able to help with glove sizing. Thinking of getting heated boot insoles or socks later this year.

Anyway.... Sorry to tangent off the 10" bars question, just wanted you to know my take on the grips before you spent a lot of $$ on them.

Good luck either way!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ez fix

Everyone looks at me like I have two heads when I tell them this but it really does work. Go buy a pack of latex or plastic gloves from any hardware store that sells painting supplies. Put the latex gloves on then put your regular riding gloves on over them. NO more cold hands. Give it a try, and best of all you dont have to come off the money for expensive heated gloves.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Everyone looks at me like I have two heads when I tell them this but it really does work. Go buy a pack of latex or plastic gloves from any hardware store that sells painting supplies. Put the latex gloves on then put your regular riding gloves on over them. NO more cold hands. Give it a try, and best of all you dont have to come off the money for expensive heated gloves.
That sounds like it would be a good idea. Those latex gloves don't breathe at all, and it would keep all heat inside. Thanks for that, Im gonna give that one a try.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts