Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having an intermittent "misfire" or "hiccup" that I can't figure out. I'll be riding down the road and the engine will just sort of cut out for a split second. Seems to happen more under light throttle. There are no codes so I'm a bit lost. Bike has ran fine up until recently 50k and I haven't changed anything. Took it to a dealer while on a trip, they checked fuel pressure and it was good but the bike wasn't acting up then so they couldn't find anything wrong. I've tried new plugs, no change

Things I might try:

Dialectic grease on the TB connector
Checking injector wires for continuity while wiggling them
Replacing 02 sensors?

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Have you checked the wires & plugs? I know it sounds to simple. For $6 I would go get some Champion 810 plugs and try that. I have read story's about motor build and guys trying to pin point the issues the motor was giving them just to find out it was the most simplest issue.

·
Gray Beard
1,522 Posts
Have you checked the wires & plugs? I know it sounds to simple. For $6 I would go get some Champion 810 plugs and try that. I have read story's about motor build and guys trying to pin point the issues the motor was giving them just to find out it was the most simplest issue.

This is textbook troubleshooting right here. Lots of guys always start on the 4th or 5th thing down the line.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I changed the plugs but have not tested the plug wires. I'll try that after work, thanks

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
No codes stored at all? I just worked on an 08 that was in limp mode and the cause for that one was the TB plug. Cleaned it up and used dialectric grease. Clear the 3 codes that were saved and hasn't had an issue yet. But your not showing any codes. Mmm

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No codes stored at all? I just worked on an 08 that was in limp mode and the cause for that one was the TB plug. Cleaned it up and used dialectric grease. Clear the 3 codes that were saved and hasn't had an issue yet. But your not showing any codes. Mmm
Yeah no codes:confused:

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'd check the plugs, wires and electrical connections one more time. Could be a bad plug with a chip or damage to the porcelain, or a connection that is not tight. A dose of dielectric grease to electrical connections won't hurt. Sometimes the smallest things are the biggest PIA!

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
You can check the plug wires with a multimeter, if the wires have around 5.5+/- ohms of resistance they are good. There is also the coil plug under the fuel tank make sure it has a good connection and use some dielectric grease on it.
You could have a dirty injector did you try running a little injector cleaner in the fuel??
I wouldn't think it would be the O2 sensors but you can pull them out and clean them with some carb cleaner just to make sure.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can check the plug wires with a multimeter, if the wires have around 5.5+/- ohms of resistance they are good. There is also the coil plug under the fuel tank make sure it has a good connection and use some dielectric grease on it.
You could have a dirty injector did you try running a little injector cleaner in the fuel??
I wouldn't think it would be the O2 sensors but you can pull them out and clean them with some carb cleaner just to make sure.
I tried injector cleaner but it didn't seem to make a difference. I'll start with plug wires and go down the list. Thanks guys

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Checked for codes again today after the bike was really acting up, and got these:

P0118 ET sensor voltage high/open
P0374 CKP sensor sync error.

I suppose I'll just go ahead and replace these sensors and hope for the best.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
It is possible that one of the codes may be caused and set by the other code. Just alil FYI;)

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
That is true a primary DTC can trigger secondary DTCs.
There was a thread on the forum where a member was having running issues and it was the Engine Temp sensor (ET sensor). The CKP sensor is a magnet so pull it out and clean it and see what happens.
Both of those sensors don't cost a lot so swapping them out is not a big deal.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My 07 had a P0118 and I found a broken wire just before the sensor, but my symptoms were a high idle even on a hot day, the wire would trick the ecm into a cold start mode and the idle would climb.

I can't see why a ET sensor would cause a misfire, it would seem more likely to be the CKP sensor, but I always start at the wrong end.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
I'm having an intermittent "misfire" or "hiccup" that I can't figure out. I'll be riding down the road and the engine will just sort of cut out for a split second. Seems to happen more under light throttle. There are no codes so I'm a bit lost. Bike has ran fine up until recently 50k and I haven't changed anything. Took it to a dealer while on a trip, they checked fuel pressure and it was good but the bike wasn't acting up then so they couldn't find anything wrong. I've tried new plugs, no change

Things I might try:

Dialectic grease on the TB connector
Checking injector wires for continuity while wiggling them
Replacing 02 sensors?

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks guys
Been there.... done that.........

I'm betting on a broken wire by the TMAP sensor connector. Look on top of your induction module, and you'll see the wires coming down from under your fuel tank. With the bike at idle, take a ruler or something and gently push on the wires in different directions. If the bike dies, you've found your problem.

I chased this problem for almost a year. Mine got so bad that if I hit the rear brake hard, the engine would rock forward, and the engine would die. It got so bad that my compensator is now junk, and is getting replaced next week.

The problem is the wire ties are a little too far forward, and pulls the wires to the TMAP sensor tight. Nafta quality control is imaginary.

Don't try to figure out the codes. Your ECM is going to throw best guess codes, because there is no code for what's happening.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Been there.... done that.........

I'm betting on a broken wire by the TMAP sensor connector. Look on top of your induction module, and you'll see the wires coming down from under your fuel tank. With the bike at idle, take a ruler or something and gently push on the wires in different directions. If the bike dies, you've found your problem.

I chased this problem for almost a year. Mine got so bad that if I hit the rear brake hard, the engine would rock forward, and the engine would die. It got so bad that my compensator is now junk, and is getting replaced next week.

The problem is the wire ties are a little too far forward, and pulls the wires to the TMAP sensor tight. Nafta quality control is imaginary.

Don't try to figure out the codes. Your ECM is going to throw best guess codes, because there is no code for what's happening.

Well son of a ....., that's exactly what the problem is!!!! I gave those wires a poke and it died instantly. You just saved me a lot of aggravation and screwing around for who knows how long. Thanks PGR!! What a relief.... I'm going to replace that harness and clear the codes.

I love this forum :D

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Well son of a ....., that's exactly what the problem is!!!! I gave those wires a poke and it died instantly. You just saved me a lot of aggravation and screwing around for who knows how long. Thanks PGR!! What a relief.... I'm going to replace that harness and clear the codes.

I love this forum :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
this winter, as a project. unhook all elec connectors & put di-electrical grease on them. also ck the wireing as it goes around the steering neck. looks for rub marks on wireing. i taped a piece of inner tube around the wires, so they were protected.

·
Registered
13 Posts
wireind

this winter, as a project. unhook all elec connectors & put di-electrical grease on them. also ck the wireing as it goes around the steering neck. looks for rub marks on wireing. i taped a piece of inner tube around the wires, so they were protected.also the cut-off sw. could be corroded?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts