Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can give me advice::confused:

I bought my 06 RG used, and was told it had the D & D Fat Cat; just found out it is the Boarzilla. Love the exhaust system, just wondering if it will cause issues in the long run; I'm running a KN airfilter and the bike was mapped prior to me owning it; haven't had any issues to date just a little popping on rapid decelleration.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
As long as the bike is running good you should not have any problems. What kind of tuner does the bike have? If everything is done right the bike should not have any popping on decel, there are basically 2 conditions that cause popping on decel and they are 1. the bike does not have the correct fuel mapp and 2. there is a leak in the exhaust somewhere. The most common place for a exhaust leak would be at the cylinder were the exhaust pipe bolts on but a exhaust leak can happen anywhere the exhaust system has a connection.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no tuner, an indie flashed it. I am looking at purchasing a Thunder Max in the future.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
There are a lot of tuners out there so do some research before buying. I use the HD Screaming Eagle Race Tuner more commonly known as the SERT and I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Thanks for the advice, do you need to go the dealer to tune the SERT?
Yes you do. The dealer will put in the correct fuel mapp according to your add ons. Once the tuner is set then you don't have to make any changes until you do some more engine work such as cams but that will happen with any brand of tuner. The dealer will also use the SERT to do a dyno tune. I had my bike dyno tuned in the last part of 08 and never had to touch it again. You really don't need to dyno tune your bike unless you have performance engine work done.

·
878 Posts
I use the Screamin' Eagle Pro Super Tuner, which I believe replaced the Race Tuner. I love mine. It has forced me to start learning about what makes these bikes make noise...and the education has been a blast.

The Street Tuner is dealer flashed. The Pro Tuner has cables and software available for you to flash...I think I have that correct...

I flash mine about weakly as I learn and get more recorded runs done. Working off a base map set on the dyno.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ironmark and BLKNCr6, thanks for the info and advice, i will keep that in mind. Our closest dealer is an hour away and the better one is almost 2 hours away. The indie is in good with the one 2 hours away so I will see what he can support at his shop as well.

·
Registered
818 Posts
When I got my pre-owned 06 it had stage 1 intake, SE slip-ons and had a map flashed at the dealer. It ran well but only got about 35 mpg. I hooked up with Fuel Moto (they are one of our forum sponsors). They deal with power commander and have a version of their own which I bought. I am very happy. They will modify the map as you request. I called and asked for a leaner map and it was e-mailed to me immediately. Loaded it to the tuner and all is good 45 mpg now and plenty of zip. If you are popping on decel, I wonder if your a little rich.

·
Registered
659 Posts
That's a big pipe for an 88, so was the engine hopped up extensively, Bigger pistons? Cams etc?

Boarzilla was the only pipe I found that would mount right up to my 124 heads without
problems, it's made for big engines...

Probably won't hurt and not worth dropping a lot of coin to change it to a fat cat..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the great info guys! I plan on getting a tuner next spring as I only have about 6 weeks of riding left this year due to work. I really like the style of the exhaust and I'm happy with the performance. I think it is burning a bit rich as my mpg is under 40 (better then my Jeep!!). The bike is not highly modified; stage 1 only at this time. I would like to get a tuner that is user friendly and that I can tune (I was a mechanic in the military for 20 years). I don't want to have to go to a shop for a tune, big jobs like engine rebuilds fine but not to tune an electronic fuel system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts