Road Glide banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I mix 2 ohm and 4 ohm speakers in the same system? What I have is the stock head unit, Power Acoustic RZ4 2000D 4 channel amp (identical to SS PN 4.520D) and Infinity Kappa 6.11 2 ohm speakers. These are mounted in the fairing stock location and wired to the front channels of the amp. If I were to add speakers in the lower fairings do I need to stay with 2 ohm or can it be wired in a way to use 4 ohm speakers along with the 2 ohm up top? Also, do I just use the rear channels for the lowers or does the h/u need to be flashed for the rear channels as well? This is on an FLTRX. I'm not much on wiring but can follow directions.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Can I mix 2 ohm and 4 ohm speakers in the same system? What I have is the stock head unit, Power Acoustic RZ4 2000D 4 channel amp (identical to SS PN 4.520D) and Infinity Kappa 6.11 2 ohm speakers. These are mounted in the fairing stock location and wired to the front channels of the amp. If I were to add speakers in the lower fairings do I need to stay with 2 ohm or can it be wired in a way to use 4 ohm speakers along with the 2 ohm up top? Also, do I just use the rear channels for the lowers or does the h/u need to be flashed for the rear channels as well? This is on an FLTRX. I'm not much on wiring but can follow directions.

Think of it this way.... if you COULD do it, why would you? 4 ohm speakers would put out about 1/2 the sound of the 2 ohms. That being said.... since you have a system already on 2 ohms, stay with that. Mixing resistance is a fast way to blow up an amp.

If you want to control the front/rear balance, you will need to get your head unit flashed to enable the fader. A lot of dealers will do it for free, since it takes about 5 minutes. If you have not already done so, you will need to wire your amp into the rear output of the radio.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Answered all my questions. Like I said, I can follow directions on wiring but don't know enough to not be dangerous on my own.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts