Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to perform a 5k service on my 2016 RG Ultra. I picked up 4 quarts of Mobil One V-Twin 20W50 and an oil filter. When I got home I read in the Owners Manual that "...if HD 360 is not available, add oil certified for diesel engines. Acceptable designations are: CH-4, CI-4, and CJ-4." Since Mobil One V-Twin is not formulated for diesel engines, there's no such designations on the bottle. Just API SJ.

I'm assuming that I'm good to go (ran Mobil One V-Twin in my 2011 RGC), but thought I'd see what you guys have to say (besides, I've not posted on this forum in a VERY long time, and it was about time I stopped by to say hello..:))

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
My bike came with syn-3. Why would I go back to 360?

Sounds like the manual needs to be updated.

I am running Mobil 1 in the engine. HD fluids in primary and transmission.

May try other products in primary and transmission at the 10k service based on information gathered on this forum.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Mobil 1 V-Twin is formulated, like H-D Syn3, to be used in all 3 holes. My preference is for AMSOIL V-Twin 20W-50, been running AMSOIL products for 36 years in everything I own...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks folks. Bosshog, I've run Amsoil too in lots of my stuff over the years (including bikes), and would have grabbed it off the shelf if the Mobil One hadn't of been there. Good stuff, for sure..

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I ran Shell Rotella 15-40 (diesel) in my unit metrics. Worked well as there's no friction modifiers. You could run it in the primary. 20-50 of some flavor in the engine.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I started with Syn-3 in all three holes since new until about 20k. The top end started getting a little noisy so the local dealer recommended trying Mobile 1 in all three holes. Ran that until 40k then it started getting noisy again so I switched to dead dinosaurs. Replaced the clutch at 43.5k and am using Castrol GTX in the primary only with HD fluids in the crankcase and tranny. The point is you can pretty much use whatever you like as long as its compatible with your engine. You can listen to all of the "experts" but you'll get a hundred different answers. Run what you like, can afford, or are willing to pay for and forget about finding the "Perfect" blend, They pretty much all work! JMHO

·
Registered
144 Posts
I started with Syn-3 in all three holes since new until about 20k. The top end started getting a little noisy so the local dealer recommended trying Mobile 1 in all three holes. Ran that until 40k then it started getting noisy again so I switched to dead dinosaurs. Replaced the clutch at 43.5k and am using Castrol GTX in the primary only with HD fluids in the crankcase and tranny. The point is you can pretty much use whatever you like as long as its compatible with your engine. You can listen to all of the "experts" but you'll get a hundred different answers. Run what you like, can afford, or are willing to pay for and forget about finding the "Perfect" blend, They pretty much all work! JMHO
My bike has 91,000 on it and Mobil 1 syn.15w50 is all that has been used.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
The reason HD put the diesel oil recommendation in the manual is for emergencies. If you're on the road and low on oil and need to add oil and the correct oil is not available Diesel oil is the next best thing.
I used Mobil 1 V-Twin oil for years with good results, I put a new engine in my bike and I went with Castrol V-twin oil this time, I have no complaints on either brand.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
My bike has 91,000 on it and Mobil 1 syn.15w50 is all that has been used.

Mobil1 15w-50 car oil is what the old timers have been using since long before there were the "V-twin" specialty oils. I've been using it for 15 years in my bikes, no issues.
The nice part is that if you ever find yourself in need of oil on the road you can get Mobil1 at most any department store, farm store, convenience store etc .

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mobil1 15w-50 car oil is what the old timers have been using since long before there were the "V-twin" specialty oils. I've been using it for 15 years in my bikes, no issues.
The nice part is that if you ever find yourself in need of oil on the road you can get Mobil1 at most any department store, farm store, convenience store etc .
I've wondered that same thing, tdkkart. Why not just use regular Mobil One 15w50? Readily available, less expensive, etc.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mobil 1 15w50 in the engine about 3.5 qts. 5 quarts jugs at Walmart were $22.00 and some change. That comes to about $4.50 a quart.
38oz of Mobil 1 Vtwin 20w50 in the primary. Its 11 bucks a quart and overpriced but since its formulated for wet clutches i use it.
Mobil 1 75w140 in the tranny/gearbox i.e. 1 quart.

I'm not interested in ANY product i can't buy at an auto parts store. Why because its not superior in comparison to anything M1 makes.
3 hole change with an over priced HD filter was about $62.00

1 - 13 of 13 Posts