Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm probably gonna get flamed for asking and this may not be in the right location . Mods delete if in wrong section .I have a 2011 RG Custom. I have run Mobile 1 synthetic in all of my vehicles for the past few years. . Should I stick with Mobile 1 for my RG ? Suggestions ? thouhgts ?

Michael

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
As long as it's Mobile-1 V-Twin. It will work in your engine and primary. Find a gear specific lube for the trans, like Bel-Ray or Redline.

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
Its the only thing I have run in my last 2 bikes since dumping the original oil they came with. No regrets here.

FWIW I use the HD Formula + in the Primary and Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum in the Trans.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I use the Mobil 1 20w50 V-Twin in my bike, Advance had it on sale may still do for $7.99 per quart so I stocked up. I use the H-D primary fluid in the primary and the Spectro 6-Speed in my transmission. No problems so far....

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Redline shockproof is definitly a good choice for the transmission... I run Redline products and have been very impressed with the outcome.

Rowdy

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I've ran Mobil 1 in everything that has a motor in it. What has been the so called outcome with this redline? What is any better than HD or Mobil 1 ?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Considering the cost of this bike and recommendations of every independent vtwin mech I've known I can't fathom any reason to not stick with Redline.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
As long as it's Mobile-1 V-Twin. It will work in your engine and primary. Find a gear specific lube for the trans, like Bel-Ray or Redline.
and if it isn't, if you are talking about the m1 15/50 automotive, it will work just fine in your engine, but you don't want to use it in your primary. it can cause clutch slippage.

for your primary, you don't need to go balls out synthetic, go for the inexpensive stuff. rotella 20/50 has been getting a lot of good reviews for a long time and it is jaso rated for use in wet clutch applications.

fwiw, walmart used to sell (and in some places is selling again)the 6qt jug of m1 15/50 for around $25.00. thats a bargain. unfortunately, mine is not one of the ones selling it in the jugs again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Redline shockproof is definitly a good choice for the transmission... I run Redline products and have been very impressed with the outcome.

Rowdy
+1 on the Redline ... Use it for all 3 areas and will never use anything else. It's $$$ , but I figure it's worth it in the long haul.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I'll mirror what everyone has said about Redline. I have read a lot of people here and other places that swear by Mobil 1 as well. If you have had good success with Mobil 1 in your other vehicles I see no reason not to use it. Redline with shockproof in the tranny would be a good idea though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I run Mobile 1 FS products in all three holes on my bike. Use the V-twin stuff for the engine and their 70w-90 FS gear oil in the primary and tranny (at suggestion of dealer). At the frequency we change the fluids I'm sure it's overkill and whatever the manual suggests or just about anything comparable would be fine.

When I was in the Army we used oil analysis services to determine when to change fluids and most vehicles had well over 35k between changes. I'm sure if we did the same thing just about any brand out there would be beyond acceptable for 5000k intervals of normal riding. I like using Mobile 1 FS because it makes ME feel like I have something a little better than stock (although I can't nor care to prove it) and it's easily attainable around here and on the road (Walmart, Autozone, etc.).

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I run Mobile 1 FS products in all three holes on my bike. Use the V-twin stuff for the engine and their 70w-90 FS gear oil in the primary and tranny (at suggestion of dealer).
you might want to find another dealer with suggestions like that. or did you mean to type vtwin in engine and primary and 70-90 gear oil in tranny?

·
Registered
559 Posts
oil

i have tried just about every syn oil,and in my opinion they can stick it!! it gets so thin that the motor rattles worse. these twin cams run hotter than hell as it is. know many people in florida that run straight 60w.and thats what im running now. just my 2 cents worth

·
Registered
179 Posts
That's a typo isn't it? :eek:
No typo, this is what the guy at the dealership told me to my face in front my friend. He claimed that it's a big chain and gears in there so the heavier weight would be fine and that many other customers were doing the same so that's what I've done since :confused:. I hate to hijack the OP's thread but is there more to it than what the dealership told me?

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
No typo, this is what the guy at the dealership told me to my face in front my friend. He claimed that it's a big chain and gears in there so the heavier weight would be fine and that many other customers were doing the same so that's what I've done since :confused:. I hate to hijack the OP's thread but is there more to it than what the dealership told me?
Find a new dealer..... quick.

Lighter weight oil is better in the primary, like 10w40 or 20w50. It's mostly for heat dissipation.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Gotcha, I'll swap it out this afternoon. Thanks for the tip.
Get it nice and hot before pulling the drain plug. That stuff is going to come out like syrup.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Just use a decent oil that meets the relevant specs and change fluids per the schedule and you'll be fine. Mobil1, Amsoil, Syn3, Rotella, Redline, whatever. I use Mobil1 VTwin in the motor and primary and GoldenSpectro 6 Speed Transmission Gear oil in the Transmission but there are many choices that work fine.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts