Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my bars in and mounted them up to the bike. Man, they look great and feel great. Why did I wait so long to get these? Well, maybe it was trying to justify the price!! Anyway, pics of the wiring (minus the connectors) and the bars mounted to the bike. Pics of the progress will be posted!

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
As you can see from the pics, the hard part is over. Whew.....

Just a note of caution for anyone running wires through the bars. Am I the first to ever admit that I ran the wires through the wrong side? When I went to line up the switches to ensure that I had the wires pulled through far enough, I realized that I ran the switch / wires for the wrong side...!!!! OMG!!!! I did keep my cool, though and pulled them back through the correct side of the bar.

In doing so, I broke two and severely damaged two of the Molex connectors. What to do? What to do? I began to search Ebay for any type of Harley Molex style connector. I was thinking that I could solder the current wires to the newly purchased connector. Nothing...... I searched the internet and found that I could purchase the Molex connectors if I purchased a minimum of 100. I could probably purchase a new harness and rerun it through my bars (at this rate)!!

When I searched Molex on Ebay, I stumbled upon a guy that was selling a pack of 10 (male or female) for $3-4. What a deal!! I struck GOLD!! Now, how do I crimp these bad boys onto the wires? I can barely see the damn wires...!!! In reading his sales gig on the auction, it states that he will custom make wire sets for extended bars at whatever length and for whatever bike your heart desires (I will include his contact info at the end of this for those that may be interested)!! So, I asked if I could order 4 color colded Molex connections soldered onto the exact color coded wire that I can now attach to my stock wires by soldering the wires together...!!!

Sorry for the rambling!! Here is the contact info:

4RCustoms
156 Hillside Street
Rowley, MA 01969
United States
[email protected]
978-948-5373

Attachments

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Did you not take the molex connectors apart?

I'll be starting on mine next week. found a site that shows how to take the connector apart and then pull the wires through.

Any other tricks to know about?

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Joke, be sure to mark or diagram the wires as you take them apart. HD isn't always consistant with color coding. I learned that the hard way. Much easier to put the puzzle together if you have it marked/written down.

Rowdy

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Joke
The connectors in my bike are Deutsch. Are your realy molex connectors or is that just another name for them? The video link you showed us was a different looking connector.

If I can offer any more advice do not bend the pin connectors as they WILL break if you need to straighten them

Also I was able to leave the stock cover on the wire bunch and was able to pull through without lube. It wasn't easy but it went.

Nice bars for sure!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a shot of the connector and a wiring diagram that I drew up to know where the wires were to be put back into place. These are Molex connectors. Not sure if they are all the same or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just got my bars in and mounted them up to the bike. Man, they look great and feel great. Why did I wait so long to get these? Well, maybe it was trying to justify the price!! Anyway, pics of the wiring (minus the connectors) and the bars mounted to the bike. Pics of the progress will be posted!

congrats on the bars and you will love'em!

·
Registered
656 Posts
As you can see from the pics, the hard part is over. Whew.....

Just a note of caution for anyone running wires through the bars. Am I the first to ever admit that I ran the wires through the wrong side? When I went to line up the switches to ensure that I had the wires pulled through far enough, I realized that I ran the switch / wires for the wrong side...!!!! OMG!!!! I did keep my cool, though and pulled them back through the correct side of the bar.

In doing so, I broke two and severely damaged two of the Molex connectors. What to do? What to do? I began to search Ebay for any type of Harley Molex style connector. I was thinking that I could solder the current wires to the newly purchased connector. Nothing...... I searched the internet and found that I could purchase the Molex connectors if I purchased a minimum of 100. I could probably purchase a new harness and rerun it through my bars (at this rate)!!

When I searched Molex on Ebay, I stumbled upon a guy that was selling a pack of 10 (male or female) for $3-4. What a deal!! I struck GOLD!! Now, how do I crimp these bad boys onto the wires? I can barely see the damn wires...!!! In reading his sales gig on the auction, it states that he will custom make wire sets for extended bars at whatever length and for whatever bike your heart desires (I will include his contact info at the end of this for those that may be interested)!! So, I asked if I could order 4 color colded Molex connections soldered onto the exact color coded wire that I can now attach to my stock wires by soldering the wires together...!!!

Sorry for the rambling!! Here is the contact info:

4RCustoms
156 Hillside Street
Rowley, MA 01969
United States
[email protected]
978-948-5373
Thanks this guy don't live to far from me. Let's hope I never need to call him.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did you not take the molex connectors apart?

I'll be starting on mine next week. found a site that shows how to take the connector apart and then pull the wires through.

Any other tricks to know about?
Just did my this week, (2007 RG, 10.5 inch monkey bars) did have to take molex connector apart. Do not rush the job. I took pictures of the cable layout prior to pulling them apart for reference (i love my iphone) Left side I took the wire out of the fairing all together. The right side my buddy an I just fed the cables through the bars internally (still using the stock shrink wrap, no lube) and as we got closer to the bike just mounted it that way. 2 problems I ran into. I got the black onyx steel braided cable line from bagger nation. They did NOT include the "T". Because the stock lines going to the "T" under the fairing are crimped I cannot finish my project. The reason is the brake line that comes out from the fairing through the bezel up the handle bar and into the brake lever is now too fat for the bezel to go back into place. (This is because the bars are now raised and the lines do not match up.) SOOOOO i cannot use the stock lines and have to wait on the "T" connector to finish the bars. Did anyone else have a problem with this?:confused:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
OK, I am falling behind on updates. Got my Molex connectors from the Ebay dude. Soldered them up and installed the wires back through the connectors. I pushed them through as far as they would go. I pushed the white thingy down as far as it would go. After installing the bars, I routed the wires back into the fairing. When I tried to snap the connectors together, they would not snap. Hmmmmm.......time to walk away for a bit. After some thinking about it, I then pulled the white thingy forward again (like when I was taking the wires out). I then pulled each wire to its most back location (they will not pull out because have not released them). Bingo - the white thingy snaps right into place!!! And the connectors snap together.

Mounted the switch housings and controls as exactly they were removed from the stock bars. Loosened the bolt on the brake line and adjusted to "flow" more with the bars (stuck out too much forward in the stock location). Rerouted the cluch cable from the stock location and did some cable ties to keep it from rubbing on my painted inner fairing.

NOTE: EVERYONE WILL TELL YOU ON HERE AND I WILL STATE IT AGAIN - NO NEED TO PURCHASE LONGER CABLES OR LINES. STOCK WILL WORK!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks about the same, Im gonna get back in a see about re routing the brake line. from the bezel. I know I know everyone has been telling me I dont need extenders but never the less I am stubborn and just didnt see it. After read a few threads it just clicked. My town in CT got 28inchs of snow this week. dont think Ill be riding this week. Maby next week lol. Thanks again for everyones help

1 - 17 of 17 Posts