Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a set of the chrome version for my RGS. I wanted to find out from the guys who did their own install if they had to dismantle any of the connectors for this year and up bike. I've read different stories on this and wanted to make sure of this. Supposedly harley has shrunk the size of the 6 pin connector so some people have mentioned they didn't have to dismantle the connector to fish the wire thru the bars. I'm sure others that have the taller monkey bars can chime in as well since I know most owners don't keep the stock tricycle bar setup for long. I've managed for 2 years to keep the bars stock but after the 114 upgrade I finally decided to change the bars to the Monkey Sport Bars since I have a lot of great twisties here in the mtns and I figured now is the time to do the bar upgrade. If anyone has installed any style of Monkey bars on a 2017 and up I could use the advice on this install. I'm planning on doing it myself and just looking for some input on this. Thanks

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
2015 was the last year of the large connector that had to be disassemble. Should be straight forward for you with no disassembly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have changed bars on my 2019 three times, the last set was the Monkey Sport Bars. You do not have to disassemble any of the wiring, HD started using small connectors in 2016, in fact when I changed bars on a 2018 it was the same. As for the Sport bars, they are very easy to wire and install. I did my set a few months back after a month I decided to change heated grip, from Kahuna (which this just reminded me I have to sell) to another set. I decided to try changing out the heated grips with the bars still on the bike and the change went very smooth. As I said the Monkey Sport Bars where very easy to run the wires. It's an easy task and I believe you will not have any problems, just take your time give and take while running the wires. Good luck and post up some pics when you are done.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone for the great information. Since I work offshift it's easier to post on the forum since I waited a bit to get these bars and it's time to switch them out. The bars should be here on monday so I'm hoping to get them installed next weekend.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another thing I was looking for online was some braided sleeve mesh to aid in pulling the wires thru. I saw that KST includes a small section with their bars to aid in pulling wires. Looks to be the same principle as the Chinese finger trap. Wasn't sure on the diameter used but I may end up replacing the stock harley wire sheathing with some heat shrink to make it just a bit easier when pushing and pulling the wires thru. Bars won't show til I'm at work so it may take a day or two to get everything swapped over. Easy part is the removal of stock bars and the fun part looks to be getting the wires run thru.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Another thing I was looking for online was some braided sleeve mesh to aid in pulling the wires thru. I saw that KST includes a small section with their bars to aid in pulling wires. Looks to be the same principle as the Chinese finger trap. Wasn't sure on the diameter used but I may end up replacing the stock harley wire sheathing with some heat shrink to make it just a bit easier when pushing and pulling the wires thru. Bars won't show til I'm at work so it may take a day or two to get everything swapped over. Easy part is the removal of stock bars and the fun part looks to be getting the wires run thru.
No need for any of that, like I said before I changed out heated grips with the bars still on the bike. Everything pulled through easy and saved me the time of pulling the bars off again, glad I decided to try changing grips that way. Anyway, your bars will be new so when the y arrive you will see the Monkey Drag bars have a few additional holes on the bottom cross bar. I used 550 cord or para cord to run the wires, it is just a thin rope. Once I ran the rope all the way through I pulled a loop out of the additional holes, when you get the bars you will understand what I'm talking about, that made the process even easier. Long story short you do not need to go through all that because these bars are extremely easy to run wires. I have done a lot of bar changes, three on this bike alone, the Monkey Drags are by far the easiest to set up. Just get to it and post some pics, haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got plenty of access to paracord since I have a couple coworkers ex 82nd airborne and I've got some from my days as an Ordnanceman on carriers and shore duty. I'm planning on tearing down the bike before heading to work thursday since theres a couple decent days to ride to work. Hoping to have the bars reinstalled for saturday and get a chance to try them out. When you installed yours did you mess with grinding down the pins on the controls. I'll probably drive the center locating pin down but wasn't sure if the new bars were drilled for the locating pins on the back of the controls. Never thought about using paracord and I appreciate the tips.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Got plenty of access to paracord since I have a couple coworkers ex 82nd airborne and I've got some from my days as an Ordnanceman on carriers and shore duty. I'm planning on tearing down the bike before heading to work thursday since theres a couple decent days to ride to work. Hoping to have the bars reinstalled for saturday and get a chance to try them out. When you installed yours did you mess with grinding down the pins on the controls. I'll probably drive the center locating pin down but wasn't sure if the new bars were drilled for the locating pins on the back of the controls. Never thought about using paracord and I appreciate the tips.

No need, the Monkey Drag bars have the locating holes in them. If you ordered the 2015 to present RG only bars. I just pulled the old bars and installed the new, everything fit fine. It should go real smooth for you since you are splitting up some of the work. Probably be an hour at most to put it back together.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats what I was figuring and even thought of removing the tank just to give a bit more room since it takes hardly any time. I already got some crown royal bags for the clutch and front brake setup so I'm about ready but since I work second shift I have limited time and work has been crazy busy since I have some new 6 axis mills to play with. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thats what I was figuring and even thought of removing the tank just to give a bit more room since it takes hardly any time. I already got some crown royal bags for the clutch and front brake setup so I'm about ready but since I work second shift I have limited time and work has been crazy busy since I have some new 6 axis mills to play with. Thanks again for the help.
Good luck with the swap, I have taken the tank off as well in the pass just to ensure I protect the paint. Put a towel over the front fender and make sure it covers the back, just in case you drop a bolt.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like I'll be doing the swap on thurs and friday since it will be thunderstorms yet again. Got a couple nice days to ride into work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the wiring switched over in about an hour taking my time doing it. Also put a bit of rem oil lightly on the throttle cable sheathing to help make it easier along with some paracord. Going to do a quick fit tomorrow just to get them on and reinstall the tank since I'll be leaving the locating pin in. Thanks to all who have given their advice and I wish I did these bars last year instead of waiting so long. Once I get the final install complete I'll post some pics. :grin:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bars are installed and ready for a test ride tomorrow. Got the codes cleared at the end of the install and just finishing the reinstall of my bar end mirror on the left grip.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took the maiden ride with the new bars and its totally transformed the handling of the bike. Definitely a major improvement over the stock bars and feels like the superbike bars of my old CB Hondas back in the day. I should have done this alot sooner but glad it's done and over with. Heres a couple pics of the chrome bars on my bike.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts