Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to powder coat my lower legs on my 2012 RG this winter. Is the progressive Mono tubes really worth the money???

·
Registered
967 Posts
Yes. Monotubes keep tire firm on the road and react very little to hard braking.
If you will go to larger wheels think about the lower set.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I think they are. Put mine on about 2 months ago. I love them. They are firm. I can see some people finding them too firm but for my riding style they are just what the doctor ordered. A spring kit is nice but a monotube is much nicer. But, it is not a cushy cadillac style ride, it is a sportier feel.

I saw Ohlins is coming out with a new cxartridge kit for baggers too. I am sure it will be 3 times the price of mono tubes. Will it ride 3 times better? Probably but I have what I have.

·
Registered
528 Posts
IMHO Yes, definitely!

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
IMO the monotubes are worth more than what they cost. I've had mine just over 3 years and I'm very happy with them, I'd buy them again in a flash.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
If your paying for installation, its a lot of cash for the return. If you do it yourself, its well worth it. Imo. Keep in mind this statement comes from a guy with more sense than money. :)

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
good thread... taking off my legs pretty soon and was thinking of doing the same. Was wondering if they were really worth it or not.

D.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Probabaly one of the best improvements I have made to my bike...tracks better through the corners, no more front end dive and I didn't find them that stiff but I am on the heavy side at 250 lbs.

·
Registered
234 Posts
monotubes

I am going to powder coat my lower legs on my 2012 RG this winter. Is the progressive Mono tubes really worth the money???
Installed monotubes, dropped 2" in the front. installed these along with DYI Gabrielle Hijacker Air Ride in the rear. I like it. As stated by others may be stiffer than some people prefer, but works for my riding. No more spongy front end when coming to a stop. I think well worth the $$$.

To answer the another future question......"No, dropping 2" hasn't caused a dent in the top of my front fender".

·
Registered
508 Posts
Installed monotubes, dropped 2" in the front. installed these along with DYI Gabrielle Hijacker Air Ride in the rear. I like it. As stated by others may be stiffer than some people prefer, but works for my riding. No more spongy front end when coming to a stop. I think well worth the $$$.

To answer the another future question......"No, dropping 2" hasn't caused a dent in the top of my front fender".
Pistokcha,did you go with a 21" front wheel after the 2" drop or did you leave the front wheel stock? just wondering about any kickstand or scrapping floorboard issues.

·
Registered
234 Posts
monotubes

Pistokcha,did you go with a 21" front wheel after the 2" drop or did you leave the front wheel stock? just wondering about any kickstand or scrapping floorboard issues.
Yes Sir, installed a 21" Costal Moto Chrome Raider, kept the stock fender for now. Rotated it forward a couple of degrees, suggested by Jeff at CostalMoto. This gave plenty of room for tire clearance inside the fender. No problems with kickstand or floorboards dragging or scrapping. Oh, also note I'm running on the Darkside, with a 205/55r16 car tire on the rear. It's only about an 1/8" shorter that the stock tire........no major speedo issue either

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I have to agree what everyone else has already stated. I was putting on a 21" wheel and chromed forks. I was hating the nose dive and bouncing around on turns due to the stock suspension set up. Also being a little over 20k miles I was looking at maintenance on fork seals and oil. They were showing a good amount of wear. I couldn't be happier with the Monotubes and -2 kit. When I come to stops it's much smoother and the tracking on the turns is tight. This was money well spent and I'd definitely do it again. Only sooner lol.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I think they are. Put mine on about 2 months ago. I love them. They are firm. I can see some people finding them too firm but for my riding style they are just what the doctor ordered. A spring kit is nice but a monotube is much nicer. But, it is not a cushy cadillac style ride, it is a sportier feel.

I saw Ohlins is coming out with a new cartridge kit for baggers too. I am sure it will be 3 times the price of mono tubes. Will it ride 3 times better? Probably but I have what I have.
My feelings exactly except the Ohlins will be 4X the price. I don't miss the brake dive from the stockers at all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the good info. One more question, How do the handle on dirt roads ? (I live about a mile & 1/2 on dirt road, some sand)

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Thanks for all the good info. One more question, How do the handle on dirt roads ? (I live about a mile & 1/2 on dirt road, some sand)
They work Just fine on dirt. Not that I press it or anything while on dirt, but never a problem.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've been thinking about the monotubes too, and being I have 27k on the bike now, it seems like a good time to change them out...

Does anyone know who has the best prices for them?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts