1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to double check before I place this order with USMotoman,

31-2501 - Mono-tube Cartridge & Spring Kit - Lowered - $273
940-4020UT - 940 Series Ultra Touring - $451.00

I'm looking for the 2" front drop and the 1" back drop. That all look right?

·
Registered
614 Posts
I just wanted to double check before I place this order with USMotoman,

31-2501 - Mono-tube Cartridge & Spring Kit - Lowered - $273
940-4020UT - 940 Series Ultra Touring - $451.00

I'm looking for the 2" front drop and the 1" back drop. That all look right?
Yes, the Monotube is the same for 1" or 2" lower you make the choice during install how many clips you use.

If your a solo rider under 220 lbs you may find the ride stiff on the 940, if so call Progressive and they will swap out springs for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the Monotube is the same for 1" or 2" lower you make the choice during install how many clips you use.

If your a solo rider under 220 lbs you may find the ride stiff on the 940, if so call Progressive and they will swap out springs for you.
I am 100lbs under 220 =) Should I have them swap out the springs on my order or is it something I have to do after the fact? Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I am 100lbs under 220 =) Should I have them swap out the springs on my order or is it something I have to do after the fact? Thanks for the reply.
If you weigh 120 I would look for something else. I am 190 or so and have the lighter springs and I doubt at 120 you could get a good ride. You have to send the shocks to progressive to change out thee springs

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you weigh 120 I would look for something else. I am 190 or so and have the lighter springs and I doubt at 120 you could get a good ride. You have to send the shocks to progressive to change out thee springs

So with the lighter springs would I still get the 1" drop in the back? Thanks for the information. Should I even go for the 940's and try something else entirely?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Yes you still drop with the lighter springs but if you are 120lbs I think it will be too harsh. Not sure if progressive makes even a lighter spring you might want to call them to see

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes you still drop with the lighter springs but if you are 120lbs I think it will be too harsh. Not sure if progressive makes even a lighter spring you might want to call them to see

Ok thank you very much Jeff

·
Registered
614 Posts
Agree look into a different shock set up for your weight.

They will drop 1" based on the bikes weight but at 120 lbs you are not going to move the shocks much even with the lighter springs.

In your case Id say call one of the custom shock guys, Works, Terrycable of Ohlins (Motorcycle metal0 and have them set up a shock for you.

You can get Ohlins 2-2 from Howard at Motorcycle Metal for about 600.00 if you are a member of HD Forums. Terrycable are about 600.00 as well and I think Works start a little more.

At your weight to get that bike to use its suspension you need to soften up the springs

If you really want to stay with the 940 try calling Progressive Suspension Tech Line ask for Frank and ask him. He was a big help to me. If you go with Progressive you will have to take delivery of the shocks and then send them to Progressive for the springs, they dont ship to dealers with the lighter springs

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agree look into a different shock set up for your weight.

They will drop 1" based on the bikes weight but at 120 lbs you are not going to move the shocks much even with the lighter springs.

In your case Id say call one of the custom shock guys, Works, Terrycable of Ohlins (Motorcycle metal0 and have them set up a shock for you.

You can get Ohlins 2-2 from Howard at Motorcycle Metal for about 600.00 if you are a member of HD Forums. Terrycable are about 600.00 as well and I think Works start a little more.

At your weight to get that bike to use its suspension you need to soften up the springs

If you really want to stay with the 940 try calling Progressive Suspension Tech Line ask for Frank and ask him. He was a big help to me. If you go with Progressive you will have to take delivery of the shocks and then send them to Progressive for the springs, they dont ship to dealers with the lighter springs
Xaran, Thanks for all the info. I spoke with someone at Progressive and they said to put about 50 - 100 miles on the 940s then if I am not happy with them (most likely) to send them into the shop. They said they'd put a lighter spring in there for me. If after that they don't work nicely I'll look into something more custom.

The bike rides great as it is right now, I'm really just looking to lower it a little bit as I am short. I'm sure there aren't too many 5'2" 125lb guys riding Road Glides, but I ride the hell out of it and love it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Xaran, Thanks for all the info. I spoke with someone at Progressive and they said to put about 50 - 100 miles on the 940s then if I am not happy with them (most likely) to send them into the shop. They said they'd put a lighter spring in there for me. If after that they don't work nicely I'll look into something more custom.

The bike rides great as it is right now, I'm really just looking to lower it a little bit as I am short. I'm sure there aren't too many 5'2" 125lb guys riding Road Glides, but I ride the hell out of it and love it.
I'm interested in lowering my bike since I added a 18" rear wheel but I also want better handling. Did you research the replacement for the 940, the 944 at all?

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'm interested in lowering my bike since I added a 18" rear wheel but I also want better handling. Did you research the replacement for the 940, the 944 at all?
Its my understanding that the new 944 and 444 are aluminum body shocks and are using a different valving design that Progressive has developed called "FST" they were saying they would be available in March but I dont see anything about a release date yet.

This was what I posted a while ago after talking to Frank a Tech at Progressive

"I talked to Progressive Tech last week about them. Both the 940 and the 944 come with the same spring rate as the 440HD , they are 115-150lbs. This is the reason some find the 940 too stiff. Progressive will change out the stock springs for you on either the 940 or the 944 to the lighter springs (same rate as come on the 440 they are 85 -125lbs) Both the 940 and the 944 are 13" shocks that sit at 12" on the bike so you get the advantages of the travel of a 13" shock with 12" look. The 440 and the 940 use the IAS damping technology developed by Progressive and the new 944 use the FST damping technology developed by Progressive and the 944 is supposed to be an aluminum body shock. None of the other shocks use the FST yet, it is supposed to be a softer ride.... They will be available in March along with the 444 that is the 440 with the FST dampning"

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey there, I haven't done any research on the 944. I just see that everyone here was doing the 940 with rave reviews so I went with that.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Well I have a couple hundred miles on my 940's now. I really like them a lot. But now than ever I'm thinking of changing out the front. Why do people go 2 inches lower in front? Vs 1 inch to balance out the back. Just wondering.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts