Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice lastnight on my way home from work the I had a clunk from the front end of the bike. I had to make a hard stop at an intersection so the forks were compressed. After the bike settled I grabbed the front brake lever and pushed the bike while still on it to load and unload the forks. I installed progressive monotubes approximately 2 years ago and this is the first time I noticed the clunk. Has anyone else ever notice anything like this with the monotubes?

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check that. Thanks

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I have a clunk when the forks are unloaded...topping out..hate it..dealer said, guess what?..."its normal"...I think the small top out springs were either left out or installed worng..but I aint payin that much to find out!!

Reactions: rlaf75

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I wouldnt pay anyone to do it either. I'll be doing it myself. Since I bought the bike new and I never adjusted the neck bearings before and since it's got about 52k on it I'll start there.

Reactions: madmat

·
Registered
510 Posts
I am having the same issues with my progressive monotubes. Can someone explain to me how to check the neck bearings and how to adjust them if needed.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am having the same issues with my progressive monotubes. Can someone explain to me how to check the neck bearings and how to adjust them if needed.
Pick yourself up the service manual. It will show you the procedure to check it. You'll need to get the bike on a jack so the front end can swing freely. It goes by the number of "swings" the fork have when you hold the forks all the way to the left stop and release it. I believe it should move between 3 and 4 swings and stop somewhere close the center. Again the service manual will explain exactly

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Pick yourself up the service manual. It will show you the procedure to check it. You'll need to get the bike on a jack so the front end can swing freely. It goes by the number of "swings" the fork have when you hold the forks all the way to the left stop and release it. I believe it should move between 3 and 4 swings and stop somewhere close the center. Again the service manual will explain exactly
I believe for rushmores its 1-1.5

and reduced from the original 3-4 for the older models..Im too lazy to go dig out my service manual..its an easy thing to do though...i went to home depot and got a long piece of flat steel stock and bent it slightly..worked great..

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
You are going to hear and feel some minor thud when the forks transition between the support spring and the top out spring. If the top out Springs were missing you would feel a very solid metal to metal bang as the forks extended.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
You are going to hear and feel some minor thud when the forks transition between the support spring and the top out spring. If the top out Springs were missing you would feel a very solid metal to metal bang as the forks extended.
Thats what I hear/feel...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts