Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the wording on these instructions are a little goofy. I purchased the 1 to 2 inch drop, if I want to drop 1 1/2 inches how many spacers and or springs do I use? Anyone know? The instructions make it sound like I am adding spacers but that doesnt seem to make sense if I want to lower it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm not sure about 1 1/2" but in my experience and research, I wouldn't go lower than 1". I bottomed out immediately leaving my garage with -2". I called progressive and they proceeded to tell me that -2" is more for show than go. They recommend nothing more than -1" for riding on all types of roads.

Some ppl will say -2" is fine but just figured I'd share my experience. -1" was three c clips and 1 long spring on the bottom.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
As far as I know it's either 1" or 2". Never heard of anything else with this kit. If you did it, you would be doing something custom. Whatever idiot at progressive said it was for show and not go is just that...an idiot. Mine goes pretty good -2

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
286 Posts
As far as I know it's either 1" or 2". Never heard of anything else with this kit. If you did it, you would be doing something custom. Whatever idiot at progressive said it was for show and not go is just that...an idiot. Mine goes pretty good -2

Well I did the install twice, double checking all my work so my install was sound. At -2", I bottomed out on the slightest bump in the road. An absolutely terrible ride.

Even had the progressive tech on the phone with me the second time through, he was very nice and helpful.

At -1", my bike rides great.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Well I did the install twice, double checking all my work so my install was sound. At -2", I bottomed out on the slightest bump in the road. An absolutely terrible ride.

Even had the progressive tech on the phone with me the second time through, he was very nice and helpful.

At -1", my bike rides great.

How much do you weigh? I'm only like 175. That could be your issue too. Every bike is different though I guess. Mine smashed the crash bar into the fender -2 but Sic's never did. If you like it that's all that matters

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
I weigh a little over 200lbs running -2" over 25k miles, no problem here. :D

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
286 Posts
How much do you weigh? I'm only like 175. That could be your issue too. Every bike is different though I guess. Mine smashed the crash bar into the fender -2 but Sic's never did. If you like it that's all that matters

I'm about 205lbs. I can't really explain why it rode like that.

Worked out in the end so I can't complain.

To the OP, sorry to hijack the thread. Just my opinion, but I would go -1" or -2". I wouldn't start messing with .5" increments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm about 205lbs. I can't really explain why it rode like that.

Worked out in the end so I can't complain.

To the OP, sorry to hijack the thread. Just my opinion, but I would go -1" or -2". I wouldn't start messing with .5" increments

Dropped the rear 1.5 with new progressive 11.5 shocks, so Im a little unsure as to how low to go on the front..

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
-2", 250lbs on a 21". Never bottomed out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, im just over 200 but I keep hearing these stories of people smackin the crash bar with the fender and that makes me leary... So I may just play it safe and go 1 but I would hate to ride around and wish I did 2!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had to do mine twice, went with no clips the first time and bottomed out. The second time went with three been good ever since. I am around 275 though so one should be good if not just have to tear it down and add a clip.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I did -1 with 3 clips and bottomed out. I went with 5 clips on each side and the ride was better. I still could make it bottom though. The clips set the spring preload

·
Registered
3,430 Posts

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
Guess I'm drilling out the bolt in the bottom. Chrome lowers installed six years ago. They must of only had high strength loctite. Sucks bigtime

If you have access to air tools , try a impact wrench. Mine spun right out.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts