Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok other than removing wheel and fender, what else will I need to remove in order to slide the forks out and install my monotubes? I've seen the install videos but they all involve a streetglide or bike without a fairing. I'm curious on my 2013 RGC. thanks!

·
Registered
10,379 Posts
Ok other than removing wheel and fender, what else will I need to remove in order to slide the forks out and install my monotubes? I've seen the install videos but they all involve a streetglide or bike without a fairing. I'm curious on my 2013 RGC. thanks!
Just the speedo/tach bezel so you can get to the nut on the top of the tube. I just loosened my handle bars and folded them out of the way.

·
Administrator
2,716 Posts
Pretty easy process. Hell.. I did it!

I think you will need a fork rebuild kit (new seals and the plug on the bottom). I also recall using a piece of PVC with a slit cut in it to seat the new seals.

I could be off...its been awhile..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty easy process. Hell.. I did it!

I think you will need a fork rebuild kit (new seals and the plug on the bottom). I also recall using a piece of PVC with a slit cut in it to seat the new seals.

I could be off...its been awhile..
from what I've read and seen on videos, you don't need a fork rebuild kit because you don't have to take the forks apart. the monotube kit is a direct slide in replacement. Am I wrong???

·
Registered
10,379 Posts
this may be a stupid question but I haven't looked in a while. did you have to take the ignition switch out to remove the speedo/tach bezel?
Yes , you have to remove the ignition switch to remove the bezel , at least I do. You also need to separate the forks. You really dont need new seals , since its no longer under hydraulic pressure , just as long as you dont tear them removing them. You will need new brass squish washers and bolts for the bottom of the forks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I found this simple video with a RG, but it also doesn't show taking apart the forks. just shows sliding them out and replacing the "guts". I'm getting more confused as time goes by. LOL :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well according to Progressive you DO NOT take the forks apart unless you are upgrading your lowers to black or chrome when installing the monotubes. Makes the job a whole lot easier im hoping! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
10,379 Posts
I think what they're talking about is, you don't have to separate the tubes off the bike. You can just drop the sliders , if wanted. Unless your Houdini, the tubes get separated from the sliders.

·
Registered
10,379 Posts
http://www.roadglide.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=18287&d=1357341689
here's a pic of the monotube lay out. You see that little cap between the top of the slider and the bottom of the tube ? Its only on one side of the original set up and the monotubes has you use one on both sides. The hole in the bottom of the tube is too small for it to fit through. So really you only need to seperate one side if you really wanted to. I did both sides and used the 2 new cap pieces that were in the kit. I also cleaned everything up real good before putting back together.
Hope this helps you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.