Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed my install of many upgrades, one being monotubes. I opted to go with the -2" up front.

Here's my issue. As soon as I backed the bike off the lift and went over the hump to exit the garage, I hear and feel a clunk up front.

I put it back on the lift and rechecked every bolt for tightness. I'm very tedious and went very slow with my install. I didn't use any c-clips and used the two springs on the monotubes, as the instructions stated.

I can't for the life of me figure out what could be wrong. Anyone had this issue or have any tips. I'm dreading takin this thing apart again.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Are you sure you installed right ? I cant speak for the lowering kit Mono tubes ,but the orginal height Mono tubes that I installed a year ago, work great. No thump.

There's also a sequence on re tighting everything back up on the forks &Tripple trees and torque is very important.

also ,you might want to share what your working on. 98s are a lot different than a 13s.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You have to install the c-clips. I had the same issue. I tore them down sent them back to be checked. Progressive told me to install the c-clips. I installed all the clips and have not had an issue yet.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
I only installed one clip per side. Progressive told me it was okay to not use any if I wanted a less firm ride . I did have the oem height kit tho, not the lowering one.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have to install the c-clips. I had the same issue. I tore them down sent them back to be checked. Progressive told me to install the c-clips. I installed all the clips and have not had an issue yet.
Really? Well that could explain a lot. Their instructions say for a -2" drop, use both springs and no c clips. I tried contacting progressive today but they are closed for the holiday so I'll give them a shout Monday.

Sorry, it's a '13 RGC.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I only have about a 100 miles on mine. I'm at -2 without any clips per instructions. I haven't noticed any problems at all. I hope you get it worked out quickly.

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
I have over 20k miles on mine.... -2" no C clips, no problems. Do you know the manufactured date on your kit? Just asking, I remember some people had issues with a clunk when the lowered kits first hit the market, I don't know what Progressive did to solve the problem.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I called Progressive they said they got the clunk fixed and it came from the shocks leaking. They said that was not the case with mine or any of the new shocks. They asked me if I was a big guy which I am 270 pounds. They said the shock is bottoming out. I put the clips in didn't notice any difference in height. The shocks are a little stiffer but beats that clanking sound.

·
Registered
442 Posts
When I called Progressive they said they got the clunk fixed and it came from the shocks leaking. They said that was not the case with mine or any of the new shocks. They asked me if I was a big guy which I am 270 pounds. They said the shock is bottoming out. I put the clips in didn't notice any difference in height. The shocks are a little stiffer but beats that clanking sound.
Dammit that's not big. We just eat properly!:D

·
Registered
42 Posts
LOL we are just healthy. When I told the guy at progressive I was 270 there was a pause lol. You might get by just putting in one clip but I told the guy that if I put them back together and it still made this noise that I was going to be pissed lol. He told me to put them all in.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I got 5 clips on each side of my mono tubes. I am 310 I still bottom out hard braking and hitting a bump.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
This is the exact reason didn't lower the bike. Just went with the monotubes stock height. Didn't want to bottom out being 320lb. Lol. I don't need my bike reminding me that I need to lose weight. Lmao

·
Registered
290 Posts
I just did this install Thursday,if you are going for the -2 you use both long and short springs and no c clips at all,did u install fork oil?

·
Shark of the Month August 13
3,318 Posts
I'm no Reficul (or lax) but I'm not a small guy either.......I have almost 30K miles on -2" monotubes, with no clips. Between two different bikes, I have never experienced any sort of clunking sounds and can probably count the number of times I've bottomed out on one hand

Wish I could be of some help to you

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 52 Posts